im trying get something to play up the ambiance of the season. something with like a minor sound? or does anyone know of songs or bands that play stuff like that?

i just need like a very relaxing sound, with some mystery. see if this picture inspires anything.

The key has next to no bearing on the sound of a piece of music. There is no "magic scale" that will get you the sound you want.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Hmm... well before u decide what KEY ur gonna play in... u have to screw around with ur guitar for sometime and get an idea. Then after that, try to play consecutive notes slowly in a special pattern. If u've nailed the feeling u like, then start exploring what key and scale u were using, and continue using that scale through other parts of the song. There's a reason it's called theory and not postulate...
There's a reason it's called theory

It's called theory because it describes a phenomenon. Theory is a descriptive system, and can only benefit you as a composer.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by ilikeplayguitar
oh terribly sorry i meant SCALES!

Same answer. The effect of the scale is negligible when compared to all the other factors.
There's no shortcut here. Composition is hard.
Intervals are more important than scales.

There is no magical scale.

Experiment with different keys, timbres, instrumentation, rhythms, just play and see what you come up with. You don't need theory, whilst I would encourage you to learn it! Mikael Åkerfeldt didnt learn theory, nor did he learn tab because it had 'too many numbers in it'.
Quote by Myung-trucci
You don't need theory, whilst I would encourage you to learn it! Mikael Åkerfeldt didnt learn theory, nor did he learn tab because it had 'too many numbers in it'.

fuck theory, then.
^lol yeah, Mikael is a God, its pretty hard to just 'write songs that sound good' without theory like he does...I love Opeth
Quote by ilikeplayguitar
im trying get something to play up the ambiance of the season. something with like a minor sound? or does anyone know of songs or bands that play stuff like that?

i just need like a very relaxing sound, with some mystery. see if this picture inspires anything.
Minor scales dont really sound very relaxing.

I'd say what your looking for is the major scale with a darkish chord progression (I'd suggest a vii0-I resolution) and you might want to use the occasional #4 as an accidental in your melody. You might also want to pick your chords instead of strum them, try to get creative with your picking order. I'm thinking of an opeth sort of thing.

You don't need theory, whilst I would encourage you to learn it! Mikael Åkerfeldt didnt learn theory,
evidence?
Last edited by demonofthenight at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
evidence? Point?

Fixed. Who cares if he doesn't know any theory?

I was composing music before I understood theory

So were a lot of people. Your point?
Check out some Impressionistic music, stuff like Debussy, theyre all about creating a certain feel or emotion, but not as strongly as Expressionism, which is shit.

You dont need to stay in key, or have a regular pulse. If it succesfully conveys a picture you want to paint, go for it. A lot of 7th chords are good for this. In fact, you will see, a lot of chords are good for this
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I was composing music before I understood theory

i was too but its only helped me get infinitely better at it. now im having trouble keeping my songs under 10 minutes because i have so much stuff crammed into one song and a lot of the basis' for the ideas came from simple basic theory stuff.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Who cares if he doesn't know any theory?

His point was that theory is not necessary to create excellent music that conveys particular affecting emotions.

You are correct in that it was not relevant to the topic starter's question.
Quote by Philbigtime
D minor is the saddest of all the keys.

Simple intertwining lines...its called lick my love pump.

Tone can help give you a 'mysterious' feeling. Go clean with a chorus or a phaser.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
thanks for all the ideas guys. any more groups that play this kind of stuff youre familiar with? (im clearly not knowledgable about composition enough yet to come up with something good.)
Quote by ilikeplayguitar

I find sharp keys to be the best for that type of sound because I can use the open strings
Quote by ouchies
I find sharp keys to be the best for that type of sound because I can use the open strings
He means keys with sharps in the key signature such as Bm. E, and C, not keys with sharps after the letter such as F#, G#, and D#m.
I guess C isn't a sharp key, but you can still take advantage of the open strings as Ouchies described.

Sharp Keys:
G, Em
D, Bm
E, C#m
B, G#m
F#, D#m
C#, A#m

Flat keys:
F, Dm
Bb, Gm
Eb, Cm
Ab. Fm
Db, Bbm
Gb, Ebm
Cb, Abm

And then, of course, C and Am have no sharp or flat notes (ignore V7 substitution in minor keys!)

TS, ignore the part in parentheses if you don't understand it.
Quote by ilikeplayguitar

That picture makes me think of Joe Satriani-esque, ambient, beautiful sounds and Al Di Meola with some exotic lines that make you think (In order, in the song i just made up). I may write a song now. Thanks TS.

PS, Since you're trying to use inspiration from that picture, use that to start out. Come up with a cool line and let the picture guide you. I think art is a beautiful thing, and being a medium from a person's inner self to something like a song or painting, I think they can be either. Instead of worrying about theory from the start, let it guide you after your inspiration puts you on the right track.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
That picture makes me think of Mr. Söze for whatever reason.

Though when I read your "Al Di Meola" comment, Race with Devil on Spanish Highway popped into my head. Maybe the "Devil" part reminded me of Mr. Söze.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Though when I read your "Al Di Meola" comment, Race with Devil on Spanish Highway popped into my head. Maybe the "Devil" part reminded me of Mr. Söze.

Have you ever listened to Liquid Tension Experiment's Acid Rain? Petrucci quotes one of that songs main riffs to great effect.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

This Mr. Söze?

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Archeo Avis
Have you ever listened to Liquid Tension Experiment's Acid Rain? Petrucci quotes one of that songs main riffs to great effect.
Yes. I heard the LTE song first and thought, "What a cool riff!" and then I heard the original and was so disappointed that John didn't write it. He does use it well, though.

Quote by metal4all
This Mr. Söze?
Are you fooling around or have you not seen the movie?

http://members.aol.com/Cow7451/keyser.wav
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes. I heard the LTE song first and thought, "What a cool riff!" and then I heard the original and was so disappointed that John didn't write it. He does use it well, though.

Are you fooling around or have you not seen the movie?

http://members.aol.com/Cow7451/keyser.wav

Both

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Dr. No
Simple intertwining lines...its called lick my love pump.

I'm heavily influenced by Mozart and Bach. This is sort of somewhere in between, almost like a "Mach" piece...

Quote by demonofthenight
evidence?

He's said in interviews that he's completely ignorant, and he doesn't know chord names. Although that doesn't mean people should be completely ignorant of theory, or that if they are they'll be as awesome as him (you won't).
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
He's said in interviews that he's completely ignorant, and he doesn't know chord names. Although that doesn't mean people should be completely ignorant of theory, or that if they are they'll be as awesome as him (you won't).
Does he actually write the music though? Or it it some other band memeber? Maybe he only knows counterpoint? I wouldnt expect Rachmaninoff to know all the jazz chord names or how to use modes in a jazz context.

Quote by lbc_sublime
C?
I think C is considered a sharp key. When you're figuring out sharp key signatures C is included in the same list.
Quote by demonofthenight
Does he actually write the music though?

He's the band's driving songwriting force, but they are all proficient in composition and contribute.
Akerfeldt is the primary songwriter. But he doesn't know counterpoint or anything like that.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.