well, i had a kind of theory thats something like this:

time really only is a measurement between the distance in between an event happens, and then that event reaches my eyes thanks to light, so if i was right next to something, I would witness that as happening straight away, almost instantaniosly, howver, if I was millions of lightyears away, then obviously, to my perception, would take millions of years before that event to happen (becouse its taking light millions of years to reach me)

so as ive just explained, 'time' is widely distorted by another variable measurement, which are cm/metres/miles/lightyears etc. so..if this event was never to happen, you wouldnt be able to measure te period in which i witnessed the event happening, so it owuld be safe to assume that i wasnt really 'percepting' anything at that period in space..

PUNCHLINE: So if ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING was happening, (E.G. no atoms vbrating, no qoarks doing whatever the hell if is that they do, no strings to be moving about between the dimentions) that there would be nothing to measure, meaning that 'time' is irrelevent, so 'time' would be in a stand-still..just waiting for somthing to be happening, and obviously we wouldnt be able to exist in this kind of existence, becouse we'd just be trapped, so maybe this is what the area around the edge of the universe is like..just a void of nothingness, almost impossibly existing becouse theres nothing to exist within it, until part of the 'universe' bring with it matter that is actually doing somthing, giving us a manner of being able to actually measure, using the measurement of Time.......

After all though, this is just my own theiy, and it could be completly wrong, but i thought i'd tell y'all anyways..

and if you read it all, thanks for taking it into consideration

discuss?
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Oct 5, 2008,
9 minutes and not a single reply? I'm disappointed in you Pit!
Leave.
*points to door*
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
Im confused?
but i think your saying the edge of the universe is like nothingness?
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
the part about the outer edge of the universe is interesting. it's wayyy past me.

please forgive me if i am wrong, but i heard some theory on the history channel about the universe like, caving in billions of years from now. could this be because it ran out of the "nothing" just out of its ever-expanding boundaries?

don't flame me if what i just said was really stupid. im only 14.

EDIT: by ran out of nothing, i mean ran into another sort of boundary or dimension
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Why did the Lebanese guy cross the road?

To beat up the chicken.

Why did 100 Lebanese guys cross the road?

Because the chicken was winning.

Quote by ryeryelolol
the part about the outer edge of the universe is interesting. it's wayyy past me.

please forgive me if i am wrong, but i heard some theory on the history channel about the universe like, caving in billions of years from now. could this be because it ran out of the "nothing" just out of its ever-expanding boundaries?

EDIT: by ran out of nothing, i mean ran into another sort of boundary or dimension

No.... I wouldnt say its wrong....

Really dude.... when it comes this kind of stuff.... anything really is possible.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this one of those arguments saying that if you don't actually see something happen, it doesn't exist? For example, if there were no humans to feel the emotion of say, love, then it doesn't exist for there isn't a medium for it to occur. If nothing happened in the entire universe, then it would not exist. That's trippy.

Or that everything is relative, as we cannot know all that is going out there in space and try to make sense out of our world through science.
E.g., because the world is rotating, we are rotating.
But if the Milky Way is rotating the opposite way at a faster speed, then we are rotating the other way.
And if the universe is rotating another way, then who the hell knows which way we are turning. So it basically comes down to the human perception of what knowledge we hold, like when people back in the day used to think the world was flat.

Ow, headache!
Holy crap, this stuff always makes my brain hurt ><

a song song song bout how to sing
a song song song about everything
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
discuss?
The Universe is big. Real fucking big.

That is all.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by itsmadeline
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this one of those arguments saying that if you don't actually see something happen, it doesn't exist? For example, if there were no humans to feel the emotion of say, love, then it doesn't exist for there isn't a medium for it to occur. If nothing happened in the entire universe, then it would not exist. That's trippy.

Or that everything is relative, as we cannot know all that is going out there in space and try to make sense out of our world through science.
But if the Milky Way is rotating the opposite way at a faster speed, then we are rotating the other way.
And if the universe is rotating another way, then who the hell knows which way we are turning. So it basically comes down to the human perception of what knowledge we hold, like when people back in the day used to think the world was flat.

Ow, headache!

This.
Quote by ryeryelolol

np dude, im only 15 myself..

but i dont think they say it might implode because of the lack of matter, i think it has to do with somthing like (my own theory again) since the universe is expanding, and expanding faster, as out perceptions of heat is just atoms and particles moving faster, then the edges of the universe are getting hotter, and they also think tht the 'middle' or 'centre' of the universe is getting colder, so that there would be a higher pressure coming from the other edges of the universe, meaning it could possibly implode..
Quote by itsmadeline

Ow, headache!

its pretty much that, yeah..

but i was just trying to think about what there could have been before the big bang, and what there is 'at the end' of the universe, and so i thought..well..no-one was there for somthing to happen..there is no evidence that somthin is happening..so could it be same to pressume that this place doesnt yet exist until something 'happens' in it for us to be able to percive it..

though im most likely wrong, there are probably big-ass mathmatical equations to prove that this is all bull-crap..but meh
The argument in the original post is completely invalid.
The OP proposes a world where humans exist, but there is no matter. Obviously that's impossible, so you can't base any arguments on it. Logic dictates that if you assume something false, then you can prove anything (e.g. if pigs can fly, then I'm king of the world), which is what the OP has done here.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
Quote by mikb
The argument in the original post is completely invalid.
The OP proposes a world where humans exist, but there is no matter. Obviously that's impossible, so you can't base any arguments on it. Logic dictates that if you assume something false, then you can prove anything (e.g. if pigs can fly, then I'm king of the world), which is what the OP has done here.

erm...no i didnt..

what i said was if there were no humans there, no pyhsical matter, no atoms bouncing about or anything..can we be sur ethat this place is within the boundaries of existence?..can we be sure its exiting?..and if it is..wouldnt it just turn time to sh*t? if some gave you a watch and said somthing like 'tell me when 10 seconds are up' thats basicly saying tell me when *whatever* has gone on for ten seconds to the best of our preception, wheras billions of lightyears away, then there perception to this time would be completly different..

basicly, using time as a unit of measurement, we wouldnt be able to measure anything, becouse nothing is happening..
Quote by ryeryelolol

I saw that doco... they reckon that, the universe will collapse unto itself when all expansion stops; like the big bang, but backwards.

Riddle me this... if there were no life at all in the universe, would reality exist, like we know now?
Quote by foodfight
I saw that doco... they reckon that, the universe will collapse unto itself when all expansion stops; like the big bang, but backwards.

Riddle me this... if there were no life at all in the universe, would reality exist, like we know now?

yes.

because carbon dating says so

but seriously?
your right, all that reality really is, is our 'perception'.

people never realize how powerfull perception can actually be..it can change EVERYTHING you base your life on..take a look at steven hawking, and a REALLY REALLY religious dude, they have completly different aspects on what is, and isnt
I suppose you're right then, before the big bang, there was no time.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
the edge of the universe is simply like the tunnel that goes from on side of pacmans maze to the other side.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
time really only is a measurement between the distance in between an event happens, and then that event reaches my eyes thanks to light, so if i was right next to something, I would witness that as happening straight away, almost instantaniosly, howver, if I was millions of lightyears away, then obviously, to my perception, would take millions of years before that event to happen (becouse its taking light millions of years to reach me)

so as ive just explained, 'time' is widely distorted by another variable measurement, which are cm/metres/miles/lightyears etc. so..if this event was never to happen, you wouldnt be able to measure te period in which i witnessed the event happening, so it owuld be safe to assume that i wasnt really 'percepting' anything at that period in space..

PUNCHLINE: So if ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING was happening, (E.G. no atoms vbrating, no qoarks doing whatever the hell if is that they do, no strings to be moving about between the dimentions) that there would be nothing to measure, meaning that 'time' is irrelevent, so 'time' would be in a stand-still..just waiting for somthing to be happening, and obviously we wouldnt be able to exist in this kind of existence, becouse we'd just be trapped, so maybe this is what the area around the edge of the universe is like..just a void of nothingness, almost impossibly existing becouse theres nothing to exist within it, until part of the 'universe' bring with it matter that is actually doing somthing, giving us a manner of being able to actually measure, using the measurement of Time.......

My theory:

Time is made of bagels.
The problem is, being an Australian, I'm not totally sure what a bagel is. I think they're similiar to a danish or a crossiant or some pastry thing. For that matter, we don't get that leprechaun cereal...what is it called? Lucky Charms? Anyway, I think they're made of marshmellows. And it is the marshmellow which created all matter in the universe by colliding marshes with mellows, creating a subatomic explosion we call the Big Bang. This was the start of bagels. Now, it's important to remember that it was shortly after this Jesus, a Jewish carpenter hippie, learnt that one could cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring. This was called Einsteins Theory of Relativity. The Theory of Relativity explained how combining gravitons and gravioli in the bagels could reverse the effects of marshmellows. This created an enormous wall of text, like none other the world had ever seen. And it was then the wall, called Berlin (named after the band from the 80's) collapsed in a monumental event called the Collapse of the Soviet Union Signified by the Fall of the Berlin Wall. It was from these remains that the dwarves carved out their mines in the land of Moria. The greatest dwarf, Gloin, decided to create a theoretical theory about time: Time plus Bagels = ?. It was from this that the pool game, Marco Polo (famous for inventing travel and the ocean) learnt that time plus bagels is an anagram for Usable Melt Pigs. He concluded that by smelting pigs, he could create what we today call 'bacon'. This is where I come in. I was made from hardened bacon grease and assorted pig hooves on October 34, 2009. I devised a plan and, in one twenty-minute episode, I overthrew Nixon and proved that the bagels were made of the aforementioned melted pig. And now I can talk to animals. It's really cool...but totally secret. And you know what? Life's never been the same since I found out that this post would be blank if I were not here telling you that this post would be blank if I were not here telling you that this post would be blank if I were not here telling you that it was then I never complained about the OP's bad spelling.
And that's the story of time.
Tune in next week for The Confessions of Kurt Cobain.
Sundays on FOX.
Last edited by Josh Shiells at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by Born_to_shred
Leave.
*points to door*

Dumbass. Leave. You know where the door is.
im starting to think you might not be twelve years old......... 11?

We dont need to confuse UG so early in the morning (for me) with theories on physics and the universe......

More to the point, i agree with most of it. Im not sure about the edge of the universe, but the measurements, i agree.
Quote by St.Loony
Girls are complicated - Just turn gay and don't bother.

Quote by MightyAl
OK, so now, for Christmas, I'd like the ability to have an erection again.

Quote by smartguyreviews
one time i got up in the middle of the night to take a shit... and the toilet seat was warm....