Alright, i've heard it before, and i'll prolly hear it again in this topic, that pickups are to refine tone, not make. I DONT CARE. I'm looking for 2 humbuckers that do well with med-gain and have nice cleans. 50 bucks each is prolly max on what i'd be willing to pay, but i MIGHT go a bit more for a really nice set. SO. Anyone have suggestions? Maybe some cheap SDs?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
id ur using distortion ur mostly on the bridge right? So get an emg 81 in the bridge and then u got a killswitch
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Jango22
Alright, i've heard it before, and i'll prolly hear it again in this topic, that pickups are to refine tone, not make. I DONT CARE. I'm looking for 2 humbuckers that do well with med-gain and have nice cleans. 50 bucks each is prolly max on what i'd be willing to pay, but i MIGHT go a bit more for a really nice set. SO. Anyone have suggestions? Maybe some cheap SDs?

Look, $50 pickups are not going to be better than what is already in your guitar.

Save up and buy some GOOD pickups. Pickups dont do all that much to your tone anyway.
...i currently have THIRTY-FIVE dollar pickups. I COULD buy the 81 before christmas and get the 85 for christmas.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
i know they are more expensive than 50, but what about SD Blackouts? or is it worth the extra 30 for the EMGs?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Well, I only said medium gain cause i figured they would be cheaper.
I'm feeling violent towards my pickups right now...*glares at them*
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I know you went through the whole spheal about how you dont care about getting a new amp etc. but honestly there would be next to no differance (actually nvm there would be no differance) in your sound.

Whoever suggested EMG's, she said he's looking for mid gain with nice cleans, which EMG's are the exact opposite. There high gain with horrible cleans. Plus EMG's were designed specificly to push the front end of a tube amp hard, and would sound horrendous in a SS.

But If you must get pickus that are halfway decent for $50 a piece, look a rockfiend pickups. There very nice and sell for exacly that much each.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
The paf pros look pretty nice...
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I AM getting a new amp this month. Vypyr 30w. And i was looking at the EMGs, but i didnt know about the horrible cleans...so. Would SD Blackouts be good for cleans, but handle gain well?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
I know you went through the whole spheal about how you dont care about getting a new amp etc. but honestly there would be next to no differance (actually nvm there would be no differance) in your sound.

Whoever suggested EMG's, she said he's looking for mid gain with nice cleans, which EMG's are the exact opposite. There high gain with horrible cleans. Plus EMG's were designed specificly to push the front end of a tube amp hard, and would sound horrendous in a SS.

But If you must get pickus that are halfway decent for $50 a piece, look a rockfiend pickups. There very nice and sell for exacly that much each.

listen to him. SS+EMG=

and rockfield's are great. the mafias are nice.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Jango22
I AM getting a new amp this month. Vypyr 30w. And i was looking at the EMGs, but i didnt know about the horrible cleans...so. Would SD Blackouts be good for cleans, but handle gain well?

Honestly Blackouts are better then EMG's but if you do get them, the cleans will be just as horribe and remember when you get a pickup like that you are basicly tieing yourself down to only high gain. They cant do much else well.

Again Rockfield pickups
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
What about those www.guitarfetish.com pups?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Yea rockfield's would be perfect for you, and there website has sound clips of each model.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I'm liking the Fat Ass Rockfields.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
the fat ass are nice, and so are the mafias.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Mafias, from description, sound like they would be able to handle the gain, but not the cleans.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Mafias, from description, sound like they would be able to handle the gain, but not the cleans.

Yea there a little higher output. Zoltan from Five Finger Death Punch uses them.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Well, the fact that an artist such as him uses the brands definitely helps me decide. When i have the money, i'll pick up the Fat Asses and see how they are. And yes, i know, pickups dont affect tone much, but how the HELL can they not when they are 35 dollar pieces of crap?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
good choice, hope ya like em.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Hmm...poss. the Fat Ass/Mafia combo.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Hmm...poss. the Fat Ass/Mafia combo.

Possibly. if i was gonna mix i'd go with Fat Ass in the bridge and SWV or Zebra in the neck. Higher output in bridge, Lower in neck.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Well, my friend has the FA/Mafia combo in his Warlock, so i'll check it out when he comes up next week.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
cool. I really like a jb/59 combo and i'm not sure exactly but i think a fatass and SWV would resemble that.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Hmm...maybe on the SWV. Seems like its a bit too mellow, though.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Hmm...maybe on the SWV. Seems like its a bit too mellow, though.

thats why i recommended it in the neck. It's a lot like a 59 jazz, good cleans, singing lead tones. you can have your smoother tones in the neck and your higher output in the bridge.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Hmm...i'll have to try a setup like that out. I was always of the high output on neck, mellow on bridge mindset.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Hmm...i'll have to try a setup like that out. I was always of the high output on neck, mellow on bridge mindset.

yea thats completely backwards imo. the neck is always gonna sound more mellow and bassier just because of where it is. all good pickups sets are like this JB/59, 81/85, 81/60 etc. Mellower Neck, Higher Output Bridge.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Ok. I might be completely wrong there, seeing as how i dont know much about pups...hell, i could've just completely contradicted myself...whatever. I'll try my friends guitar, see if i like it.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22

Then wait until you've got your amp.

There's really no point wasting your money, and I doubt you'll need new pickups with the Vypyr anyway, amps like that are designed to compensate for things like shitty pickups. Do not even consider actives for a modelling amp, it's a complete waste of time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com