OK, so my band's other guitarist taught me a rhythm part that goes something like this

G| ------------------------|-2-2-0-2---2-2-0-2--=-|-----------------------|-4-4-4-4-4-----------|
D| -2-2-2-2---2-2-2-2-|-2-2-0-2---2-2-0-2--=-|-2-2-2-2---2-2-2-2|-4-4-4-4-4-2---------|
A|:-2-2-4-2---2-2-4-2-|-0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0-----|-2-2-4-2---2-2-4-2|-2-2-0-2-2-2---------|
E| -0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0-|----------------------------|-0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0|--------------0---------|

(I hope this pastes right). Anyways, it's basically E, A, E, B, E. He's soloing off of it, and he wants me to trade off and do some soloing. Well, pretty much all I could do today was the E minor Pentatonic scale, which was cool for about 5 seconds. What else can I do to solo off of this? Any scales, or anything else? I have almost never been a lead player, so this is all new to me.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
E maj

both maj and minor pents

E natural minor (2 more notes) also Eharmonicminor or Edorian scales

E blues which is basically the minor pent with an added flat 5th

but really you can play around with the 3rd 6th and 7th

you can also add cromatic (off key notes) in to spice it up a little

i would also suggest watching some video's and what not on phrasing as that has more to do with how "interesting" your solo will be than the actuall scale itself.

you need a i guess a "molidic idea" and run with it, change it but try to keep with the same general theme of the phrase.

or you can have a phrase and completely change it and kind of turn it into something different as you are playing

marty fried,an has some movies on phrasing so maybe check him out. he may not play the same kinda music as you but it is just to get into that kinda mind set

also there are different techniques i mostly finger pick so i can't remmember what they are but stuff like crescendo(don't know if that is one or a dinner roll) and what not some one else can point you to good stuff about that
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Oct 5, 2008,
you could try alternating a couple bar phrases between E major and E minor. not sure how that would sound, but that just came to mind and it could be neat.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Alright thanks guys, this gives me a good start, if I need more I'll just bump this thread up
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by lbc_sublime
E maj

both maj and minor pents

E natural minor (2 more notes) also Eharmonicminor or Edorian scales

E blues which is basically the minor pent with an added flat 5th

but really you can play around with the 3rd 6th and 7th

you can also add cromatic (off key notes) in to spice it up a little

i would also suggest watching some video's and what not on phrasing as that has more to do with how "interesting" your solo will be than the actuall scale itself.

you need a i guess a "molidic idea" and run with it, change it but try to keep with the same general theme of the phrase.

or you can have a phrase and completely change it and kind of turn it into something different as you are playing

marty fried,an has some movies on phrasing so maybe check him out. he may not play the same kinda music as you but it is just to get into that kinda mind set

also there are different techniques i mostly finger pick so i can't remmember what they are but stuff like crescendo(don't know if that is one or a dinner roll) and what not some one else can point you to good stuff about that
Great post. But whats a molidic idea? Is it an idea that you get when you're eating seafood? and what did marty fry? wait, was it marty that fried the seafood and thats what gave you inspiriration?

I agree with this man. Pentatonics will sound sexy over this. You might also want to try altered scales (superlocrian mode) for a darker bluesy sound. Something about that riff says that its based around an E dominant sort of thing. Except use a major sixth instead of a minor sixth (trust me, it will sound a little better) and you might also want to use a perfect fifth in there too (most guys would add a perfect fifth into this scale). Try not to use a b5th and a #2 in the same phrase, it sounds too eastern to sound bluesy (IMO).
OK, so, I'm going to sound like a noob, but where can I learn about all this stuff, and maybe see tabs? Currently my musical theory knowledge is horrible.
you can learn about it right here in this forum read the musoc theory fact(it is stickied) and there are lessons in the lessons part of the site

if there are any questions about what you are reading (ie you don't quite understand) there are alot of regulars constantly on here that will be more than willing to help you understand and there is nothing to be embarrased about if you don't understand just ask

if you prefer not to use this site you can always get a teacher

Quote by lbc_sublime
you can learn about it right here in this forum read the musoc theory fact(it is stickied) and there are lessons in the lessons part of the site

if there are any questions about what you are reading (ie you don't quite understand) there are alot of regulars constantly on here that will be more than willing to help you understand and there is nothing to be embarrased about if you don't understand just ask

if you prefer not to use this site you can always get a teacher
Whats musoc? Does the theory surrounding musoc have anything to do with music?
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
why do you guys make such a big deal over an obvious typo
Just me and its because I'm an arsehole
Quote by demonofthenight
Just me and its because I'm an arsehole

that is ok i think i will get worst spelling this year but seriously not intentionally i always try to proof read what i say and always get some mistakes