Hi all here on UG. I have a Bc Rich Special Edition Bich Archtop with connected to a MXR 10-band Eq, a Boss MT-2 Metalzone and a Boss SD-1 Overdrive. I use D'addario strings with a thickness of 12-54. I don't really have a picture of my pedal settings, but somehow my tone is starting to sound bad. It sounds kinda noisy. Especially on the high E and B strings. I don't know if it's because they're a bit rusty near the bridge or something, but they sound bad. Like really bad. In terms of power chords and palm mutes on the bass strings, it sounds good. But my treble strings sound kinda bad, maybe cos they're rusted. Overall, it sounds kind of nasal, maybe because of my metalzone. The big question I have is, with these pedals (the equalizer, mt-2 and sd-1), what can I do to reduce the nasal tone of my rig and is do rusted strings make notes sound noisy? Also, does having a guitar with a basswood body and bolt-on maple neck cause the overall tone to sound cold? I'm using EMG pickups and it has helped alot. Any help from anyone here is really greatly appreciated.
What amp are you running it through?

To me it sounds like it's your pedals that ****s it up. Way to many pedals.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I'm running it through a locally made SX 10-watt amp. I live here in Singapore. So yea, it's a pretty shitty amp. But even on a marshall, the treble notes sound bad. And well, I only started to notice the bad tone after I played on a higher volume.
It's a combination of your amp being crap and the Metal Zone being crap, noisy, trebly and nasal pretty much sums that pedal up...and chances are it was a crap Marshall like an MG so that means nothing either.

Just hold out until you can get a decent amp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The metalzone has done fine for me. Nasal is definite. But other than that it's okay. And I dont think it was an MG. It as some large header and cab. Didn't see the model though but I think the tubes haven't been changed for a long time. So I guess the tone on the marshall would have sucked anyway. But it's the noisy treble notes that I've begun to notice that bugs me. Any cure for that?
A new amp, less crap pedals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Alright thanks man. What would you recommend to get a thicker tone? Less trebly but not too bassy either. I was thinking of Line6's Uber-metal but that's pretty nasal too right?
You need to sort out the amp situation first - then see if any pedals are required to get the sound you want. Bear in mind that you're NEVER going to replicate the sounds you hear on recordings or live unless you're prepared to spend similar amounts of money.

There's no point chucking pedals at a cruddy amp, it won't solve the problem, likewise there's no point spending money on an amp, then more on a pedal when you could perhaps have bought an amp that did it on its own. How much do you reckon you can scrape together and what are the prices like in Singapore?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Haha. . . Money is an issue for me man. That's why I chose to buy pedals cos when I perform, I'd be using the gig organizer's amps, not my own. And well. . . I know a friend who's got the Line6 Spider 120 or something. Cost him close to a thousand Singaporean dollars. 1 USD = 1.4 SD. Also, a Line6 Spider 30 cost another one of my friends about 350 if I'm not wrong. But really, I can't expect that great a tone out of a Bc Rich either can I? And I'm not exactly aiming for an extremely good tone. I'm looking for one that's workable. . . .Because here in Singapore, the music industry isn't really big. So most of the equipment we use isn't that great either. So yea. . . It's a difficult dilemma. . .
Last edited by Frozenfire3D at Oct 5, 2008,
The guitar is fine, the amp is the bottleneck here.

Best thing you can do is save up for one of the smaller modelling amps - the Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix series are both superior to the Line 6 Spider series. There's also the new Peavey Vypyrs but I havent tried them yet.

As far as using a gig organisers amps you're best just making the best of what they provide - you're not going to get your sound out of a pedal and it's futile to try, you're just wasting money. Think about it, why spend money trying to make somebody else's amp sound good? A pedal is only ever as good as the amp you plug into anyway, and different amps will react differently to the same pedal so there's no point carrying one around with you. Take your EQ to gigs by all means as that's the most powerful tone-shaping tool at your disposal, and the SD1 will come in handy as a boost (gain down, level up) if they have tube amps that are lacking a little in the gain dept but the MT2 is just garbage, it'll kill the tone of any decent amp stone dead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 5, 2008,
Seriously, if used right an EQ pedal is almost like having a crapload of different distortion pedals at your disposal
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well man. The problem is that most gig organizers use Marshall amps. And ummm. . . I ain't too good with shaping the overdrive on those amps. I've tried my bc rich on one before. Totally stumped. . .
Oh yea Steven, I found this place where I can modify my MT-2. I'm still taking your advice on the amps and stuff to consideration but this sounds pretty good. Could you help me give it a listen to determine whether it's worth the money? MT-2 Mod It costs 30 Singaporean dollars and it sounds pretty good to me in my opinion. I'm just not too sure how it'd sound on gig/jamming room amps and on my guitar. Thanks alot man. You've been a great help to me.