Page 1 of 8
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Well, there's a Valveking, Peavey Classic, and Laney thread...

How about a V Series/Crate thread? Let's talk about the all tube amps (not the SS ones )

I have a V33 head and Palomino V212 cab. Clips are in the profile.

Post pics, clips, tips, or whatever.

GhostReverie
Banned
127 IQ
good idea,v series and palaminos are amazing for the price. unfortunately i cannot get a palamino in the uk. i used to quite like blue voodoo for the price as well
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
^ I haven't played a BV, but the 60 and the 120 seem nice. There are a few folks on HCAF that have them, as well as a few for sale on Craigslist, but they wouldn't fit my style.
GhostReverie
Banned
127 IQ
oh blackhearts will be included so expect the thread to be full of ignorant BH questions while people dont realise how good v and palamino are.
stevo_epi_SG_wo
i picked a crap username
1,274 IQ
i r agree

i reccomend them tons, just wish they were more available in the UK. if i didnt have my laney i'd probly have a V =]
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i r agree

i reccomend them tons, just wish they were more available in the UK. if i didnt have my laney i'd probly have a V =]

I'd love an AOR 50

Then I could make teh br00t4lz0rz.
Goldenglove
Banned
280 IQ
Hey, are there any tube Crates with an effects loop that aren't more than 30 watts?
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i r agree

Same here, shame Crate have been so fecking useless not to release them in the UK market. Replacing them with the overpriced Blackhearts... meh

I'd buy a V18 just to mod the crap out of it if they released it in the UK for the same price.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Goldenglove
Banned
280 IQ
The V18 has no effects loop
a) How brutal can the V33 get?
b) Is it possible to get some power-tube saturation at moderate levels?
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by Goldenglove
No point asking if you intend to buy really, it's almost impossible to get them outside of the US.
stevo_epi_SG_wo
i picked a crap username
1,274 IQ
theres a V5 a V33 and a V100H in sounds live

i dont think any mainstream tube amps can get decent saturation at bedroom volumes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Goldenglove

Thought it did.

a) It's not a metal amp by any means at all. It sounds a bit the bastard son of a Vox AC30 and a Marshall of some sort.

b) Depends on what "moderate" is. I like using channel 2 with the gain down and the level up. It's quieter than the clean channel, which is bright as all hell.
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
theres a V5 a V33 and a V100H in sounds live

i dont think any mainstream tube amps can get decent saturation at bedroom volumes
Nowai.

Do they only make the V33 in 212?
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot

Do they only make the V33 in 212?

They make a killer head version.

Though I want to take the V33 off of the grille.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Goldenglove
And if I use a boost?

Haven't tried to get metal from it.

To me, it gets fizzy if you dime the gain.

What kind of stuff are we talkin here? It doesn't really have the voicing for modern metal type stuff.

Also: In Russia, don't you have Sovtek amps, and Redbears? I'd much rather have one of those.
Goldenglove
Banned
280 IQ
Sovteks and RedBears are hard to find, plus they're loud.
Basically, I'm looking at a nice tube amp with an effects loop, which will have enough gain for this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vjXVgAM1is (the solo at about 2:20), so Crate is one of the amps I might get.
I nearly don't play metal, but still, an amp that can do not only rock, but metal too (Metallica-heavy, nothing over-the-top-extreme) would be nice.
Goldenglove
Banned
280 IQ
Well, the choice of smaller-wattage stuff is limited, it's either a Randall RM20B and lotsa modules, a Laney VC15, a Peavey Classic 30, or a Crate 30.
I plan to record a lot, so I'll build a nice isolation box and then I guess there'll be less volume/tube saturation problems, but does the Crate 30 sound nice at bedroom levels? I'll try it out, of course, but what's ur opinion?
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by imgooley

They make a killer head version.

I meant as a combo, don't they do a 1x12?
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
^Not the V33.
Quote by Goldenglove
Well, the choice of smaller-wattage stuff is limited, it's either a Randall RM20B and lotsa modules, a Laney VC15, a Peavey Classic 30, or a Crate 30.
I plan to record a lot, so I'll build a nice isolation box and then I guess there'll be less volume/tube saturation problems, but does the Crate 30 sound nice at bedroom levels? I'll try it out, of course, but what's ur opinion?

I have no problem with it, but bedroom volume for me makes my windows shake
guitar/bass76
no longer owns a bass
11 IQ
Quote by imgooley

So it's not just me that thinks they totally screwed up the aesthetic with their crap design then? It seems like their design is contrary to the voicing of the amp - that and the ridiculous number/arrow rivals the blackheart tattoo for poor logoing.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by guitar/bass76
So it's not just me that thinks they totally screwed up the aesthetic with their crap design then? It seems like their design is contrary to the voicing of the amp - that and the ridiculous number/arrow rivals the blackheart tattoo for poor logoing.

I think it makes it look tacky. If it was at least chromed...

I think I'm gonna switch the knobs, too. Black ftw.
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by guitar/bass76
Yeahh, I think the head looks a bit poor too if i'm honest.
guitar/bass76
no longer owns a bass
11 IQ
Quote by imgooley
some gut shots once I figure out how to pull the chassis.

Quote by imgooley
I can't figure out how to take the damn thing apart

Have you really been going at it for 10 hours?
Swap-Meet
Up da p0nx
2,995 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot
No point asking if you intend to buy really, it's almost impossible to get them outside of the US.

uhhh...Canada?
I got mine for 199$ in Montreal.
Dunno if any other stores in Canada are having the sale too, but I know that Axe music is selling them for like 234$ with only 5% tax and free shipping

I also love my crate v-50, it gets great cleans, and with my Double Muff / DS-1 it's really great for punk.

it really does have a nice creamy kinda sound clean when I select to use the bridge & neck pickups togethere..... Can't wait till I get to try it out with a EHX Small Clone....It'll probably sound awesome.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Oct 5, 2008,
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
^ I meant more across the pond tbh.

You can get them, but presumably you find one every 4 years and have to pay through the balls for them.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by guitar/bass76

Have you really been going at it for 10 hours?

No, I took breaks in between.

Swap-Meet
Up da p0nx
2,995 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot
^ I meant more across the pond tbh.

You can get them, but presumably you find one every 4 years and have to pay through the balls for them.

That's a shame....I keep hearing how europe constantly gets crappy deals with fenders, gibsons, and most guitars & amps....Do they atleast have anything that we don't have? I thought someone on here once posted the have Orange amps and we don't...but that's not true, I saw an Orange amp for like 250$ at a guitar store...i think it was the orange rocker 30
UnsignedRecords
I'll record you!
1,888 IQ
they have cheaper marshalls and laney.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by Swap-Meet
That's a shame....I keep hearing how europe constantly gets crappy deals with fenders, gibsons, and most guitars & amps....Do they atleast have anything that we don't have? I thought someone on here once posted the have Orange amps and we don't...but that's not true, I saw an Orange amp for like 250$ at a guitar store...i think it was the orange rocker 30
Well an Orange Rocker 30 is like what $1200USD new over here, so unless it was broken you may've misread that?

And yeahh, well we get reasonable pricing on Vox, we get Laneys and Marshalls for a tad cheaper, and also Celestions are cheaper over here also.

Pretty much everything else is way pricier. Even stuff like, replacement tubes. I mean a new Fender HRD in the UK costs about $940USD.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Swap-Meet

Jesus Titty****ing christ, if it was a rocker 30, you should have bought it and flipped it. You'd have made 800 at least.

But it was probably a Crush.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot
Well an Orange Rocker 30 is like what $1200USD new over here, so unless it was broken you may've misread that?

And yeahh, well we get reasonable pricing on Vox, we get Laneys and Marshalls for a tad cheaper, and also Celestions are cheaper over here also.

Pretty much everything else is way pricier. Even stuff like, replacement tubes. I mean a new Fender HRD in the UK costs about $940USD.

Deluxe or Deville? Because that's how much a Deville costs.
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by imgooley
Deluxe or Deville? Because that's how much a Deville costs.
Deluxe. The Devilles are $1250.