We were at this local club/bar waiting for the bands to come on when he starts attacking my amp settings again saying that scooped mids is so Br00talz at my tone sucks and that it sounds like Iron Maiden, which bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I love Iron Maiden, but my tone sounds nothing like theirs.

My rig is: Scecter Hellraiser EMG 81tw/89tw or Dean CFH w/Blackouts, through an MXR 10-band EQ (boosted vol.,gain, and mids), through a Boss NS-2, through a Soldano Avenger head, through a Vader 2x15 600w cab. Personally I think my tone is pretty badass.

BTW amp settings are: Gain 6.5, Bass 5.5, Mids 8, Treble 7, Prescense 5, Depth 5.5

Funny thing is is that the first bands guitar was scooped and he said, "I can't hear the damned guitar" Me and the bassist of our band just exchanged a look and smiled not saying a damn thing

I've already gone over this with him and the band since they were a bit uneducated on the subjec. We even tested it with both a drummer and a bassist at the same time to show him that scooped just does not fundamentally work live or in practice.

Anybody have any suggestions to help him understand?
Last edited by bdof at Oct 5, 2008,
You did all that and he still doesnt understand?!?
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
the avenger is pretty mid voiced man just because you dont boost the mids on the dial doesnt mean you are scooping on an avenger.
Quote by Metfan1991
You did all that and he still doesnt understand?!?

He also seems to not understand that since I have to play my 100w head at low volumes that a lot of natural crunch left out. Plus he's 12-15 feet away and at an angle from the WHILE the amp is on the ground. I explained that the he hears is very different from what it'll sound like after it miked up. Whenever I try and get a better tone I always put my ear about 6 inches from the speaker so I can hear what will sound like miked.
why is the singer worrying about your tone?

should he be making himself pretty for all the screaming fans of his.
your just making background sound.

all sarcasm by the way
Quote by GhostReverie
the avenger is pretty mid voiced man just because you dont boost the mids on the dial doesnt mean you are scooping on an avenger.

I do boost the Mids, and intend to keep it that way
Quote by bazmeister
why is the singer worrying about your tone?

should he be making himself pretty for all the screaming fans of his.
your just making background sound.

all sarcasm by the way

No offence taken.

I thinks he has this very specific sound he wants but doesn't realize the dangers of scooping. Lows fighting with the bass in the mix (live and recordings) and highs fighting with the drums snare and symbols respectfully. All the while not having any voicing of its own due to lack of mids, guitar being a mid instrument itself.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Kick him out the band?

You can't blame retarded kids for being retards much like you can't blame singers for not knowing what the **** they're talking about when it comes to EQing
Quote by bdof
No offence taken.

I thinks he has this very specific sound he wants but doesn't realize the dangers of scooping. Lows fighting with the bass in the mix (live and recordings) and highs fighting with the drums snare and symbols respectfully. All the while not having any voicing of its own due to lack of mids, guitar being a mid instrument itself.

This may seem obvious but have you actually tried explaining this to the guy? He's probably unaware of things like this because if he knew about it he wouldn't ask you to scoop.

If that doesn't work tell him to stick it up his arse because it's your tone and he should be concentrating on singing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Make a point of suggesting how he should conduct his singing. The more stupid the better.
Something like "try singing that part in falsetto" or something.
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Tell him to get bent, remind him why he's a singer and you're the guitarist.

My drummer is forever telling me to change my guitar tone, and the usual response is along the lines of 'get f***ed, you play drums* ^_^

Suggest he sings differently somehow, see how he reacts. =]
agreed
My ex-singer told me I shouldn't use distortion on a Sex Pistols cover because then it would bee too "far from the original'
If your singer does it again, tell 'em to eff off or just walk away yourself. Unless they're like, really experienced with guitars, they have no buisnes even touching your amp