Hey Everyone, I am and intermediateplayer and i was just wondering if anyone could give me some good excercises that could really overall improv my playing like, speed, accuracy, sweep picking, hand sychronization stuff like that.

And does anyone know a really good place to fully learn music theory?
Look under the Advanced Techniques thread in Muscian Talk. I has a stickied exercises thread at the top. Has alot of good stuff. Just start slow on all of it and work your way up. It covers pretty much every technique you can think of.

You'll never fully learn music theory. But to get a strong base and know what's going on this site has alot. Also Freepower has alot of good theory lessons in his sticky if you find a post by him.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
I'd start with the crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yea kool aid i checked out, looks like some really awesome stuff to learn and work on for a while, alot of advanced stuff, how long do you think it would take to really get that stuff down?
Depends how good you are now and how much you practice - could be weeks, could be months, willprobably be years.

The worst thing you can do is say to yourself "I want to shred, and I will focus my learning with that aim in mind", it simply doesn't work that way. A "shredder" is just a very, very good guitarist, both in terms of their technical ability and their understanding of the instrument. There is absolutely no point in learning to sweep up and down arpeggios or alternate pick scale patterns at high speed if you can't pick out a simple melody or jam along to a song you've never heard before by picking up the chords.

To get as good as they are guys like Vai, Satriani and Gilbert had to spend years slogging through that same everyday, mundane stuff that everyone else does. They didn't do anything "special" to get them to where they are today, they just practiced dilligently and absorbed everything they could about the instrument.

So concentrate on learning to play the guitar, and playing well. Be disciplined and patient with your practice and don't discount ANYTHING - everything you learn will help you develop no matter how easy or irrelevant you percieve it to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I was mainly just pointing those exercises out for him to practice. Not to mean "These will make you a better player, do those over and over and you will be awesome!" N

TS asked what some good exercises were and those are great I think. But to reallly learn how to shred like Steven said, you have to know your instrument and really know what you want out of it. So to really be good you need the technical ability and the knowledge just like Steven said.

But since you are asking for both techniques and theory, you are starting off right! Seriously theory is where it's at though, every time I learn something new theory wise it opens up so much when I pick up the guitar. I am by no where good at theory or guitar for that matter, but I know what I want out of it. Seriously theory is what you need to study, but don't forget your technical ability either.

But just a case in point, I took some backing tracks today on my Ipod, put on headphone in and started them up, songs I never heard ranging from blue, soft rock, rock, and metal. I found myself able to improve good sounding solos (To me anyways). I didn't go fast, I wasn't "Shredding" (I really couldn't make the metal one sound good anyways ) But I put alot of feeling into the songs, I played with nothing but my heart, I hit hard notes, keeping certain intervals, and putting as much emotion as I could into it. I just applied different scales I know from theory and put them to use. Today was probably one of my most enjoyable days yet on guitar. It was awesome!!!!

I have no clue where I was going with that Except maybe to really bring out the point of Steven saying just being able to rip through appegios and sweeps and the likes doesn't necessarily mean you are "shredding".
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
yea i totally get it, i just really need to practice more i guess and really understand what im doing, I have been playing for two years, and i think im pretty good, but i know that i can play fast stuff very cleanly cause i never start off slow cause thats "boring" but i need to get the patience to really get good and start playing that way.

The excerises were great so im gonna really get into those.

Yes Music Theory is what i need, i have never really studied it or understood it but now its really time to get a good grip on it and understand enough to be able to play well.

It knda sucks right now tho cause i just fiund this thread for alot of technique stuff and everything and they really recommend to not anchor your hand or wrist cause it will really pay off and all i have done is anchor, so not anchoring feels like starting all over again i have no control in what i am playing which makes me feel like these 2 years have been useless xd, but whatever i guess i have to start over
That's the most fundamental thing you have to get used to - if you ever want to learn to play fast you have to learn to play accurately, and that means mastering things slowly. You may think your playing is accurate as it can be but it never is.

The best players become the best by putting in the donkeywork to master the "boring" stuff because everything else relies on you being able to do the basics well - the rest is just fluff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ can't emphasise that enough. Everyone thinks they can fret notes well, but think about this - if everyone had perfect "Fretting and defretting" technique (probably the most basic part of guitar after strumming all open strings...) everyone could play any chord, cleanly, and play any scale or arpeggio with only their left hand.

Focus on doing simple things REALLY well, the "hard stuff" is just simple stuff done well enough to make it easy to play fast.