So I'm right handed... Now hold on...my friend is left-handed, and wants to learn guitar...he's a complete guitar beginner, clean slate. I told him that he should man up, and learn to play right handed because it will make life easier, but he insists on learning left-handed...the reason being he tried to learn ukulele right handed, but that failed him miserably. Now...should I force him to learn right handed, as there are many advantages, or should I just let him have his way and teach him guitar left handed? If you are a lefty, what struggles did you have and did you wish you learned to play right handed? Thanks for any input!
Maybe easier to find guitars for right-handed but I think it is cooler when someone plays left-handed (I'm right handed)
if he wants to learn left handed let him. the only advantage of right handed is there are more guitars to choose from
Quote by DirtyMakik
Pointless threads like those make me cry my bloody cum out.
Dude, I'm a leftie actually, I started out left-handed guitar when i was just a kid, but later I switched to right-handed guitar (in my late teens). Its much better this way, like if im jamming up with my frnds, i can always switch guitars and even play bass for a couple of songs as we r all right handed! Its better off this way! But it will be tough to make the switch, it took me a long time to learn techniques like alternate picking and tremelo picking with my right hand, but it in the end it is satisfying!

Cheers!

If you cant play right handed you cant play right handed, i could just say to you learn left handed and you couldn't. I think your just being a dick, i know loadsa leftie guitarists and yer it costs a bit more for guitars but hell be a million time better guitarist if he learns naturally than if you "force" him into playing right handed.

Tell him to play leftie and enjoy guitar
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
there's a lot more advantages being right handed: chord charts are mostly printed in right hand, you can jam on most other people's guitars (since majority of people are right handers), much larger selection of guitars, and a lot of other subtleties...

and i'm not being a dick...I'm thinking long term here.
i'm left handed, but playing right handed just felt natural for me with guitar, so that's how i play. I think he should just play whatever way feels natural for him.
Quote by Rokeman
i'm left handed, but playing right handed just felt natural for me with guitar, so that's how i play. I think he should just play whatever way feels natural for him.

now this guy is helpful...thanks for input!
I'm left handed and have always played guitar that way. From the moment I first picked one up when I was 7, I held it left handed, but didn't even know that I was playing it left handed until someone pointed it out! Many times I've tried doing stuff on it right-handed but the co-ordination just isn't there.

If he's fighting to be left handed so much, leave him be. Sure there'll be obstacles, but you get such a good feeling when you find a way around them. And if more and more people start playing left handed, the guitar manufacturers will start to notice and start lowering the prices of l/h guitars and make more variety for us!
how tight is this. when i started playing when i was 8, i got sum weird nylon-stringed guitar strung eft handed cus i am, but when i got to the first lesson the teacher said, 'i hav never tought sum1 left-handed b4' so after that he restrung it right handed, the old git. but tbh, playing right handed seems to me more normal when u r a lefty cus u wud hav more control in your left hand?
well i play bass and guitar left handed, and let me tell ya, when someone is left handed they need to do things the way it feels comfortable, which is left handed, i tried to learn right handed guitar before and i couldnt, then i tried to learn my brothers right handed bass and i couldnt, finally i was ready to just give up, then my brother said, maybe since you write left handed then you should play guitar left handed too, so i got a left handed bass and i picked it up like it was nothing then, point being, just let him learn left handed, it feels more comfortable(to us atleast)it looks different and unique, and beside's some of the most famous musicians were lefty's such as jimi hendrix,kurt cobain,and paul mccartney just to name a few
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
Quote by xxZERO320xx
well i play bass and guitar left handed, and let me tell ya, when someone is left handed they need to do things the way it feels comfortable, which is left handed, i tried to learn right handed guitar before and i couldnt, then i tried to learn my brothers right handed bass and i couldnt, finally i was ready to just give up, then my brother said, maybe since you write left handed then you should play guitar left handed too, so i got a left handed bass and i picked it up like it was nothing then, point being, just let him learn left handed, it feels more comfortable(to us atleast)it looks different and unique, and beside's some of the most famous musicians were lefty's such as jimi hendrix,kurt cobain,and paul mccartney just to name a few

pretty much what i needed to know...alright, lefty it is!
I've always heard it's easier for a lefty to pick up a right-handed instrument, due to the dominant hand controlling the neck (ie: better coordination, easier to learn, etc) ...

I'm left handed and that's actually how I've always played, for those very reasons there. It's a lot easier to focus your right hand for strumming, as you don't really have to think to make your left hand do the work - it comes out natural, so to speak.

This may not hold true with everyone, though... just how my experiences have panned out, along with several other lefties I know that play right-handed.
Lefty and I play bass right-handed. I think it's cuz I jammed out to my brother's music videos as a kid right handed, you know, acting like you're picking with your right hand and just moving the left hand crazily up and down like playing with a diagonal dick.

I have to say, left hand gives me more control on the fretboard, but learning picking or slapping techniques doesn't work for me. I can just barely slap, not enough to even play in front of someone, and I can do alternate picking for a little while before it starts getting erratic.

See what is most comfortable for him. Maybe have him practice both ways, like learn a blink-182 song and play it left or right handed, and then have him go with whatever's the most comfortable. (Dammit would be a good one )
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

Quote by vanceboy
there's a lot more advantages being right handed: chord charts are mostly printed in right hand, you can jam on most other people's guitars (since majority of people are right handers), much larger selection of guitars, and a lot of other subtleties...

and i'm not being a dick...I'm thinking long term here.

First of all, sorry, but that chord chart argument is asinine. I play left handed and I never had a problem reading chord charts.

Anyway, you shouldn't force him to play right handed. If it doesn't feel natural for him, then he shouldn't play that way. He should just go with whatever feels best. Worked for Hendrix and Tony Iommi.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
i'm left handed.. i wish i had done right handed because there are many challenges...

- i'm tryin to find an electric guitar right now.. and i can't find any used..
-you can't go to a gutiar store and pick up guitars and play them.. you have to hunt down big stores that have maybe 5 of them at max...
-it sucks being somewhere and they have a guitar and you can't play it
-it sucks when someone who plays guitar asks you if he can play your guitar, and you gotta tell 'em you can't..

these things didn't matter when i first started.. but now it hurts.. i wish i had put in the extra work to learn right handed.. but just tell your friend, if he's ok with these problems i listed above..
If he cant play right handed and really wants to learn then no one should force him. Im a lefty and I couldnt even fathom holding a guitar right handed and playing. There are plenty of cheap lefty guitars out there for learning and if he sticks with it it will get more difficult to find better guitars but its hardly impossible especially using the internet.
If he wants to play lefty, you're nobody to tell him whether he can. Tell him the advantages/disadvantages of playing lefty, and let him choose with the knowledge of what he's putting himself in for. And a bit off-topic, but I actually prefer the positioning of the tremolo arm on a right-handed guitar despite the fact that I play lefty. I find it easier to pick while using the trem that way, so I've got a right-handed bridge in a left-handed guitar at the moment.
I dont know its tough becuase leftie is easier to understand at first but way more difficult to master but i mean if he wants to learn lefty let him
unplugged ftw
I'm a leftie and I started playing a little less than a year ago. I play a right handed guitar and haven't really had any problems. I say, let him do what he wants. Recommend him to do right handed but if he wants to do left then don't stop him.
I'm a lefty and I play left-handed guitars. Trying a right-handed guitar felt so COMPLETELY wrong for me from the beginning, they aren't even comfortable to hold. Some lefties can do it however, and if so good on you. I'm not one of them though.

Being a lefty guitar player does mean that you will face more problems. Guitars are harder to find and more expensive, chord and scale diagrams are completely meaningless (someone mentioned this isn't a problem for them - well, good for you, but it's always been a major block for me to the point where I didn't even learn a scale for years). I've resorted to either buying left-handed books, which are few and far between, or creating my own scale diagrams in PowerPoint.

But forcing a lefty to play right handed isn't always the best option. Some people may take to it, others may take to it eventually but they will progress far, far slower than if they just started playing left-handed in the first place. I'm frankly offended when people say "lefties should just learn right-handed". Why don't you try learning left-handed?

Interestingly, I've found it's easier for a left-hander to teach a right-hander (or vice-versa) because it's like looking at a mirror image of each other and easier to see what their fingers are doing.
Lefty. I enjoy it, who gives a darn if you cant jam on other peoples guitars who are right handed, you get to say, OH YEAH WELL I AM BETTER THEN YOU WHEN IT COMES TO LEFTYS. Then slap them and walk off. Plus, not many people want to steal a left handed guitar. and when someone tries to play that lefty guitar you get to laugh at them because they suck at it.

=D
I started playing short of a year ago and I was wondering this very same thing, being a lefty myself. I decided on learning to play right-handed and it did take a few months to kind of sink and "feel right." Now it's just a part of me, there's nothing to it and I feel very comfortable.

If you choose to learn left-handed, just know there are fewer guitar choices, and in likelihood if jamming with friends you can't grab their guitars and start playing if they're all righties. The latter may not seem a big deal, but IMO the first one was when I was looking for my first guitars.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Good point innovision, yeah the scale/chord diagrams may pose further challenges, I hadn't even thought about it. Conformity might be something to fight against for some but in this case it probably helps a lot more than it can setback.
Last edited by michaelscofield at Oct 18, 2008,
I'm a lefty but I play right handed. It just felt more natural to me to play that way. I say just let him learn how he wants.
Obviously Fassa.