Poll Options
View poll results: Should we?
Yes
386 83%
No
80 17%
Voters: 466.
Page 1 of 7
Should we give out Condoms, for free, to secondary (high) school students?
What do you think?

Pros: Might cut down on STDs and pregnancy
Provides condoms to those who are too embarrassed/ poor to buy them

Cons: Takes power away from the parents
Hypocritical
Puts pressure on some young people by giving th impression that "everyone is doing it" when they're not.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Shouldn't be given out in class or wherever, but you should be able to get them free from a certain place.
i think you should
because if kids consider sex
atleast they havent got a reason to say "i didnt have a condom on me"

we got given them in college

we can go to our doctors at university and they just have them for free, you get like a bag of them haha
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Yes, because even if your not having sex they make excellent balloons
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Quote by Encyclopedia
Yes, because even if your not having sex they make excellent balloons

lmao we did that

some guy put one right over his head and blew it up
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
If you give them out in schools you'll just have condom balloons everywhere.
School just need better and unpatronizing sex ed.
If there is a teen pregnacy issue or STI issue, then government ought to subsidize the cost to encourage use.
It might take the power away from parents but it's not that hard to get condoms. In the US you can get condoms from grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, etc. so it's not like they are removing very much power. If I was a parent I would rather know that my kid is being smart about sex and using a condom than finding out that I'm going to be a grandpa in my 40s.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
your cons to condoms are pretty weak excuses imo...

yes they should, it's not as if people are being force fed rubbers or anything, it's completely optional (though recommended) isn't it?
yo.

I BELIEVE
Definitely. They should be given for free on request, or at collected venues where there could be something going on.

Lower STD rate, teen pregnancy and getting kids to act responsible? It's all good stuff.

EDIT: Whoever is voting no and come out and explain why to us.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Should we give out Condoms, for free, to secondary (high) school students?
What do you think?

Pros: Might cut down on STDs and pregnancy
Provides condoms to those who are too embarrassed/ poor to buy them

Cons: Takes power away from the parents
Hypocritical
Puts pressure on some young people by giving th impression that "everyone is doing it" when they're not.

Thats why they sell them in condom vending machines in gas station restrooms.
Quote by EnemyWolf
Thats why they sell them in condom vending machines in gas station restrooms.

Nice refutal of the 'too poor' to buy them argument.

The ones in the toilets are even pricer as well.
Yeah, but it would create a massive political shitstorm, what with all the conservative parents ranting about how its not the right thing to do because of the good book.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Craigo
Nice refutal of the 'too poor' to buy them argument.

The ones in the toilets are even pricer as well.

"Too poor" isn't an arguement, because they barely cost anything. So if you can't afford condoms, there is absolutely no way you can afford food.
Absolutely. My school doesn't give out free condoms but we can get the free from the health centre and theres a bus that comes round to our school every once in a while and gives them out too, our school loves the Johnny Bus
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Quote by dann_blood
Yeah, but it would create a massive political shitstorm, what with all the conservative parents ranting about how its not the right thing to do because of the good book.

You can get free condoms in the UK which is pretty cool, and no-one actually cares.
Absolutely. Aside from STDs, we really don't need any more kids with incompetent idiot parents.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by EnemyWolf
"Too poor" isn't an arguement, because they barely cost anything. So if you can't afford condoms, there is absolutely no way you can afford food.

NEWS FLASH

Some kids don't have jobs or get money off parents.
Quote by Craigo
You can get free condoms in the UK which is pretty cool, and no-one actually cares.

Well, it's fair to say that the UK has a smaller religious hold than other countries. I know here in Aussie land there would be a fairly large outcry, I can't even imagine what it would be like in the US.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Well, it's fair to say that the UK has a smaller religious hold than other countries. I know here in Aussie land there would be a fairly large outcry, I can't even imagine what it would be like in the US.

I always found it odd how the UK is one of the world's most non religious countries in the world and the state has it's own Church, whilst Americans have very high religiousness rates and came about in a secular way.
eh, it does promote more "getting home"

but it protects stupid kids from getting pregnant. like jeez, on the first day in my food class, this 15 year old girl goes i'm 4 months pregnant and my boyfriend is in jail. im like, woah TMI. then she goes,

"everyone who wants to see my belly can facebook me!"
Quote by Craigo
I always found it odd how the UK is one of the world's most non religious countries in the world and the state has it's own Church, whilst Americans have very high religiousness rates and came about in a secular way.

you've still got like, kings and queens and knights on horses and stuff
you haven't had any revolutions to clean them out
Protected underage sex > unprotected underage sex
hendrix was overrated and grohl is better in food fighters than in nirvana
Quote by Craigo
If kids want to have sex, they will have sex. Might as well just throw them the stuff

I'd like to see an actual study that supports people's blatant assumptions that the availability of condoms raises sexual interactions.

It makes absolute sense but it's pure speculation, as far as I know.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by seljer

Working on it, but people are getting pissy as 'it's tradition'.
Quote by JamesDouglas
I'd like to see an actual study that supports people's blatant assumptions that the availability of condoms raises sexual interactions.

It makes absolute sense but it's pure speculation, as far as I know.

The availability of a vagina got be laid, not the availability of condoms
Quote by seljer

Ahem;

"The English Civil War".
Quote by Craigo
Which gave us a few months of us acting as a republic before a King was instated again?

Yup

It still made Britain a proper constitutional monarchy.
No, because if they're stupid enough to have unprotected sex they deserve the consequences.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
No, because if they're stupid enough to have unprotected sex they deserve the consequences.

They wouldn't have unprotected sex if they were given free condoms.

It's the responsibilty of the State to protect young people from their own stupidity and ignorance.
Quote by CTFOD

Yeah but the child they're bringing into the world doesn't.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by Craigo
Still a Monarchy I'm not happy with.

I agree.

But we're steering this thread off topic
Quote by Pagan-Pie

It's the responsibilty of the State to protect young people from their own stupidity and ignorance.

Being given condoms wouldn't necessarily give them the incentive to have protected sex, and by the time they will be having sex they should know better.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD

No, they don't. Giving in to strong sexual lust without condoms should mean they deserve to have a baby for their own stupidity, a baby which could mess up their future aspects and education and even work.
Quote by Pagan-Pie

The state, no, their parents, yes.
Government would barely function if people weren't so ignorant and stupid
Quote by CTFOD
Being given condoms wouldn't necessarily give them the incentive to have protected sex, and by the time they will be having sex they should know better.

It would make them more likely to use protection!

And yes they should know better, but many of them don't. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to solve the problem.