I was thinking of buying a guitar slide.

My locla guitar shop has both metal and pyrex glass slides, all in different sizes/weights etc. The pyrex ones are between £5 and £7 ($10 to $14) and the metal ones are between £8 and £12 ($16 and $24).

I have no experience with guitar slides so can someone recommend a good "starter slide"? Like diameter, material etc.
I suggest a thick glass slide to start off with. It's good to have at least 1 steel one, 1 glass, and one brass.
Quote by Horlicks
Metal ones sound too bright IMO. Go with glass.

Brass is less bright than glass.
i quite like my ceramic one, but i admit to being a total noob at slide. i prefer it to my brass one, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a metal chrome Dunlop slide, it's great, but is heavy. imo it would be better to use glass if you're starting out on slide as you'll find it easier to function with.
Metal ones are quite harsh, i have one and i hate it. I've used a glass one before and it has a much better feel as well as sound.
Quote by imgooley
Brass is less bright than glass.

Really? I've never tried a brass one then probably. All the metal ones I have tried in the past have been very bright and 'zingy'.
my brass one seems pretty bright, but that's compared to my ceramic one- i don't have a glass one to compare to...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO glass is probably the best place to start, they're nice and warm sounding compared to the metal ones I tried.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
these days, slides are getting stranger and stranger. you have Chrome, Brass, Glass, Ceramic, Glass covered Brass, Glass covered Chrome, thick wall, regular wall, half finger slides, full finger...

personally, i love glass slides. they are nice and mellow, not too shrill or bright, they have a good weight and i find they don't wreck the strings as much as metal slides. the trade off is that they break a lot easier than brass or metal slides.

i highly recommend the Dunlop blues Bottle. its a reproduction of what duane allman used.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.