I would like to start recording my original songs, and i figured I would use the stuff I already have here at home. I have a laptop and a behringer PMX 2000 (http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM02/Content/Behringer/PR/PMX2000.html)

and i thought it's possible to somehow record the songs into the laptop (so i can edit there later) through the Behringer? I was thinking of plugging the instruments into the behringer, then connecting the behringer into the laptop so whatever sound made by through the behringer would go straight into the laptop.

The problem is, how do i plug the Behringer into the laptop? Soundcard-wise, the laptop only has a connection for a desktop mic and headphones/speaker.

I don't really know much about these things. All i know is I dont want to use a cheap desktop mic to record the guitars and other instruments.

I also have a selection of audio-editing software like Audacity and Adobe Audition, but still undecided on which to use. Help please? Thank you very much!
well i've tried and u really can't get good quality recording with just a laptop. right now i'm saving up for a firepod because my drummer has one and it works really well, but u still need drum mics if u want to record drums. for the guitars, u can plug it directly into the firepod, but i think it sounds better if u mic up an amplifier. both ways will sound decent tho
I have a firepod also and I suggest that if you just want something simple that goes straight to your laptop. Drums will need a drum mic kit and using a mic on an amp really does get you the best sound. Just check out anything thats firewire basically, but I know the firepod is really nice.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
firepod does seem pretty kool, but i dont think i'll ever get around buying one. I only need to record a demo tape/cd and not really aiming to be a big sound guy. I just thought i'd be better off using that Behringer+laptop than a cassette tape recorder. I also thought that by doing so, i'd be able to do some multitrack recording?

does that mean my behringer+laptop theory is hopeless? i guess i can always replace the laptop with a decent home computer if thats the only problem. But then again, that sends me back to step 1, which is how to plug in the behringer into the computer? Isn't there some kind of cable that plugs into the computer and behringer and make them live together in perfect harmony? (e.g. from computer's mic in to one of behringer's rca plugs.. i tried it.. but it gave make buzzy white noise that was louder than what was being recorded)
if the behringer has a headphone jack you can always just go headphone to mic input. and i don't really think that a desktop would change that much, but personally, i kind of think audacity sucks. i used that when i first started, and it sounded like shit, but what are u trying to record for? sometimes i'll record an idea through audacity, then just send it to the other people in my band so they can learn it. but if ur whole band is gonna record a demo, and u don't wanna buy anything kind of expensive, then i would recommend going to a studio where u pay by the hour
Quote by gh0st27
firepod does seem pretty kool, but i dont think i'll ever get around buying one. I only need to record a demo tape/cd and not really aiming to be a big sound guy. I just thought i'd be better off using that Behringer+laptop than a cassette tape recorder. I also thought that by doing so, i'd be able to do some multitrack recording?

does that mean my behringer+laptop theory is hopeless? i guess i can always replace the laptop with a decent home computer if thats the only problem. But then again, that sends me back to step 1, which is how to plug in the behringer into the computer? Isn't there some kind of cable that plugs into the computer and behringer and make them live together in perfect harmony? (e.g. from computer's mic in to one of behringer's rca plugs.. i tried it.. but it gave make buzzy white noise that was louder than what was being recorded)

unless the behringer has a USB or Firewire connection its not going to be much good.
if it as a headphone or line out, then you could connect that to the line in on your computer by using a cable that has those connections.

that way you'll be recording the entire output of the behringer into a stereo (left and right) track on the computer. the problem there is that you wont be able to do any mixing later as all the tracks will have been added together into the stereo track.

if your band needs to get a demo recorded, just go to a studio. it'll be cheaper than buying the gear yourself, plus, realisticlly, it'll be years of learning before you can actually recodr anything decently.

sad fact is that there is no cheap and easy way to get good results. recording equipment is WAY cheaper now than it was years ago, but its still not pocket-money stuff.

if you really want to pursue this stuff, then i recommend a Firepod, a pile of mics, a good set of monitors and a decent desktop computer. all of which, unfortunatly, doesn't come cheap.

i hope that helps
Quote by TheDriller
unless the behringer has a USB or Firewire connection its not going to be much good.
if it as a headphone or line out, then you could connect that to the line in on your computer by using a cable that has those connections.

Sorry im really noob at this stuff; which one would be the headphone jack you're talking about? is it the kind that guitars use to plug into amps? or is it the kind that plugs into an mp3 player?
Quote by gh0st27
Sorry im really noob at this stuff; which one would be the headphone jack you're talking about? is it the kind that guitars use to plug into amps? or is it the kind that plugs into an mp3 player?

it can be either size, but it should say "Headphone Out" or something.
Alright thanks! But through this process... is it impossible to record multiple tracks in one go?
It'll be a single stereo track depending on how you connect the PMX to your PC. If you want multiple tracks you'll need to record each part individually.

You'll need to plug into the Line In on your PC from the Left/Right preamp outs on the PMX (adapter will be needed).
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Oct 7, 2008,