Alright, here's the deal: I have a Schecter Omen-6 that i've been playing for about 8 months now. I'm planning on getting a new, main/gigging/rockin'/badass monster guitar for Christmas, which would be my main gig guitar.

BUT, i'm also thinking about (and tell me now if this isn't even possible) putting EMG's into the Schecter so I have a good sound on it.

My question is: Is it worth it to put EMG's on the Schecter (which would be my practice guitar) or should I save my cash?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

What amp do you use? Something tells me its something crappy...
If you want to gig, you have to make sure your tone is good. And tone is more than 80% made by the amp. Befor looking for a decent guitar, you should be sure your amp is gig-worthy.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 5, 2008,
save your cash for a better guitar, and you might not want actives in your guitar, they get this one certain type of sound thats really only suitable for metal. and they're cleans sound like there being run through a chorus pedal.
it's sort of like buying a semihollow guitar.
the people who have them, love them, but they only get one type of sound.
Right now I have the crappy amp that came with my Squier, but i'm planning on getting a much bigger, better amp, like a Fender Deluxe tube amp combo (i've used it at a friends house and it's AMAZING, even when it's super-loud)
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

ya its very important that we know what type of amp you have, because if its a marshall mg10, then you should NOT be looking at new guitars, you should be looking at new amps.
and active pickups are NOT for small solid state practice amps like mg10s, you CAN put actives through a practice aamp, but it wont sound good.
Alright, i'll definitely start looking for a new amp.

For curiousity's sake, are there any amps I should look at?

NOTE: (I am COMPLETELY RETARDED when it comes to amps, I have no idea just WTF a "half stack" or "cabinet" for an amp is, so BEAR WITH ME.)

Honestly, Your going to need the new amp like most are saying. You could put emg's into your current guitar with a little work (you'll have to make a place for the 9 v Battery to go and you may have to do a little wood working to fit things up) but I honestly wouldn't think it would be worth two hundred and some bucks. Also, if you play only cleans (which I doubt you do based on your current metal based guitar) Emgs won't be the thing for you. I think they sound good enough on cleans, but there just not amazing like other pickups on clean settings.

I'd seriously recommend this guitar ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684 ) which is what I'm using (you might want to get the non floyd rose version if you change tunings often since you have to reset the bridge each time you do). Plays a lot better than a lot of more expensive guitars. So yeah bottom line, get a good amp first (seriously a line 6 spider 3 would probably do, you just need to be happy with it and be sure it will put out what you need for your gigs, its just easier to say buy a tube since its more of a long term investment (assuming you get one thats big enough!)). Then get your badass guitar. If you need any recommendations Just send me a message, I'd be glad to help
Ok, if your not going to kill your self over getting the worlds greatest equipment for huge sums of cash, a 75 spider 3 or above ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272 ) will do for most small gigs. if you go this route, I highly recommend getting the line 6 footpedal setup (there are a few but atleast the one with 4 channels). This would allow you to program tones into your amp and give you a simple set up that would produce a solid sound (especially if you use the guitar I recommended earlier).

You could always put out some more cash and get a stack set up, which is really a better long term investment, but then you would probably be stuck with your current guitar unless your loaded. your budget, how long your gonna keep playing, and how good you are all factors on this.
^(To guy above).....Yeahh...can any one actually afford that beast though? I mean seriously, I'm pretty sure most ug'ers aren't that well off. we really need to know your budget before anyone can really suggest anything. If your that loaded though, toatally get what this guy suggest and send me one too!
Quote by firebird103
^(To guy above).....Yeahh...can any one actually afford that beast though? I mean seriously, I'm pretty sure most ug'ers aren't that well off. we really need to know your budget before anyone can really suggest anything. If your that loaded though, toatally get what this guy suggest and send me one too!

o no, i wasnt suggesting that, i just wanted to show him what a stack looked like.
but really, we need a budget b4 we can make any real suggestions.
..and the genre
Sorry for the delay in my response, I had to take a shower, and fell asleep during that. xD

To Firebird103: Thank you for the tremendous help, I will definitely be sending you a PM about this; unfortunately, i'm not loaded, as a matter of fact, being 16 and jobless, it's a little hard to come by some cash atm.

And although I love the color on the ESP you linked, i'm incredibly desperate to get away from the "Strat" looking guitars, to be honest, I was thinking about getting the B.C. Rich Ironbird-1 (And yes, I know low-end B.C.'s are iffy, but I LOVE that body style for some reason) after I get an amp.

But I hear a lot of people keep saying (in essence) "Don't throw a rock, throw a Line6 Spider III" because everyone says they suck?

EDIT: I play Metal/Hard Rock, and my budget is anywhere from $0.01 - less than $500 per item, preferably.

well, line 6s really arent that bad, i will admit, they have awful cleans, but they sound pretty good with distortion.
you could also look into vox valvetronix, those are great amps for the money.
and that b.c. rich...im not so sure about. your probably going to have some problems with it.
but if you want it, i wont stop you from getting it.
your schecter omen is better than that, keep in mind.
Maybe you could get yourself a Peavey Valveking? They're about $400ish or so, and will tide you over for a bit. Much more of an improvement over your Squier amp. That is, if you want okay tone without spending a lot more. It's not the best, but it's passable.
Although that BC rich looks really sweet, it will probably be a downgrade as far as sound. I'd recomend something like the following, I tried to stay as close as I could to the budget, but these would be well worth it. :

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EX400-Electric-Guitar?sku=512028) probably your best bet if staying away from strat body, emg 60's should be cleaner than 85, so not as thick of tone, won't cover up mistakes during sweeping though like 85's do

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-XPT700-Xiphos-Electric-Guitar?sku=500161) little pricy @ 650, but thought I should show you, would be worth saving for

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-AX2E-Electric-Guitar?sku=515723). I know from experience that this thing has excellent pickups, and cool body, just wether you like paint or not really.

Any other esp guitar would be above 450 would be a good bet in general, ESP LTD's are probably the best bang for your buck at the moment though. Emg 81 85's are your best bet for your style (most likely), but any of those guitars would be excellent.

As far as the line 6 argument, I really think its a bunch of BS. Yeah its not going to compare to a 3000 dollar Krank, but seriously should you expect it to? I think there is a big misconception that you have to have high dollar equipment to sound great, which isn't the case. Whats more important is how you use your equipment.

With that said, Spider 3's, in my opinion, are a great deal for a musician like you. The tone on some of the lower distortion levels is weak, but the tone on higher distortion (metal & insane for these amps) can be great, so if your a metal hard rock guy who isn't going to use a lot of clean tones, then you have nothing to worry about. The effects aren't as good as what you would get out of effect pedals (phaser really sucks on these), but the sweep echo, delay, chorus/flanger (there one, have to toy with nobs to get them seperate) are pretty solid if you take your time and play with the nobs (sounds so wrong), and can be used along with reverb to make some great tones. I take mine home from college every weekend and its held up great. I play a lot of protest the hero and ax7 on it and it sounds great for that, so its not like it will sound like crap then instant you get to more advanced stuff, which has somehow become a popular misconception. I do know they make tubes as well, but I can't say I know if there any good or not, so your on your own there. If you do get a line 6 spider 3 though, make sure to get one of the following with

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-FBV-Express-Footswitch?sku=150412) wah isn't that great, but thats not what ur buying it for *BEST BET* what I use

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-FBV-Shortboard-Footswitch?sku=420880) can do it, but honestly overkill and not really worth it

These will allow you to change tones on stage without having to walk over to the amp and press a button on the amp, and since you can use this as a volume pedal too, its a great deal for putting on a good show. All you have to do is ahead of time, adjust the amp to desired sound/tone, overide one of the crappy factory presets, and you have it saved to your amps memory forever(unless overiden by you), so all in all, you'd have 4 tones to switch through on each "channel", and could program 9 channels total, (thus 9 sets of 4, which is way more than what you'll ever need) If you do go spider route, then get a 75 watt or above like these.

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-150-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482270) best line 6 spider 3, will be plenty loud

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272) what I use, plenty good for what you need, I just had to get this one due to small dorm room size.

Ok, I hope this helped, it was a pain to find out this stuff when I was your age (2 years ago lol). Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to Pm me through my profile.
As far as amps go, the 75 watt Peavey Vypyr would be good for you. They sound better than the Spiders (and most people would agree with me here), plus they have a lot more amp models and effects and don't sound all digital like the Spider.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197

I think this has the best metal tone in its price range, the clean is pretty good as well and is a lot more versatile than a spider in my experience. i can get a really thick sound unlike my friends Spider (he is now making excuses as to why his amp doesn't sound as good XD) The spider is no where near as bad as people make it out to be, its just there are a lot better options for the money such as the cube 60.

get something like this before getting a new guitar.
Last edited by Spudderz at Oct 6, 2008,