i was playing the guitar in my room when my brothers friend comes in and their playing 360 and i started playing some ac dc and my brother likes ac dc so he sings along and were just messing around and his friend looks at my computer to see that im looking at the tabs while im playing and he goes, "you use tabs?? i usually figure my songs by ear maybe if i really couldnt figure it out id use tabs." his tone made it sound like tabs were like cheating, so i ask you whats your opinion on this??
Don't worry about it. If he wants to be a smug bastard about how he can figure out by ear, let him.

Do your own thing, nobody's your boss
Retarded. Though I don't think you should look at them while playing. I figure you should learn the song BEFORE playing it. Then again, I don't think people should play others' material unless covering a song or two (not a whole set) with their band. Most people that say they do it entirely by ear are just trying to sound cool. He probably doesn't actually figure them out by ear.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
I've found that most people who make claims like that are often making things up to make themselves seem superior.

So in short, screw him.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
you should put your brothers friends' head in a car door. open/close until he's no longer smug.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
It's not bad, but it doesn't hurt to try and play by ear. I tend to use tabs as well, but i have figured some songs out by ear.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SenseS FaiL
i was playing the guitar in my room when my brothers friend comes in and their playing 360 and i started playing some ac dc and my brother likes ac dc so he sings along and were just messing around and his friend looks at my computer to see that im looking at the tabs while im playing and he goes, "you use tabs?? i usually figure my songs by ear maybe if i really couldnt figure it out id use tabs." his tone made it sound like tabs were like cheating, so i ask you whats your opinion on this??
do you even have to ask?

of course tabs aren't cheating.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
here;s a way, look at the first 7 notes on tabs and then figure out te rest it's easy and improves your guitar playing.
just look up tabs and when something doesn't seem right to you tab that part of the song yourself.
I do both, but 90% of the time, there is at least SOMETHING in a song I can't figure out, leading me to tabs. Quite frankly, though, learning by ear will absolutely help you in the long run to differentiate notes better just be hearing them.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
They're there to be used, although you should do most of your learning by ear.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by metaldud536
Well in the old days, composers wrote sheet music and sold them to stores/ gave them around. I don't see the big deal.

The thing is that sheet music improves your musicianship.. Like, you got to know how to transfer it on your instrument note by note, making scale usage more obvious in melody lines and stuff. Of course tabs aren't cheating but you shouldn't stick to them.. I'm pretty stuck myself tbh
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by X_Op3th_X
The thing is that sheet music improves your musicianship.. Like, you got to know how to transfer it on your instrument note by note, making scale usage more obvious in melody lines and stuff. Of course tabs aren't cheating but you shouldn't stick to them.. I'm pretty stuck myself tbh

Well I thought of sheet music as being able to show you exactly HOW to play a piece and being able to translate the peice to any instrument you want. I can't read music so I stick to tabs but when I really feel motivated to a song that hasn't been tabbed I figure it out by ear.