Hey I'm in the market for a strat, I would like a HSS configuration(not sure that single coils could handle too much gain), I would like a MIA Fender but I'm not in it for the price at this point. I know the price isn't horrible, but I just want to see if there are other competitive strats out there.

So are there good alternatives? I've heard of G&L but don't know anything about them.
Ibanez SA series or the Yamaha Pacifica 612 or 812. All of those are HSS, the Yamahas come with a Seymour Duncan Humbucker (612) or a complete set of Duncans (812). They are a bit hard to find in the US though.

About Fenders: Ever looked into the Highway one series? I tried several and liked them a lot.

But what kind of music do you need the guitar for anyway?
G&L (the couple i've tried, anyway- i've only tried the USA-made ones) are great.

also +1 on the pacifica 812, if you can find one, excellent guitar for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well for the music I'm going to start getting into blues more and want to learn some SRV stuff probably.

Right now my sg is pretty good for the metal stuff I play, but I was just playing a 100 dollar squier and had a small taste of the strat tone, maybe its because of the single coils tho. I would still like this to be a versatile guitar, so I probably don't need a single coil in the bridge if the other two pickups are single coils.

And the Highway one strats do look good, but do they have jumbo frets? Cause i like the medium jumbos.

I'll go look at the G&Ls now.
edit: aren't these the same price as MIA Fenders?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Player--50s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103862280-i1166326.gc
or for slightly cheaper
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series--50s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-510136-i1146298.gc

Amazing for the price and blues to rock. It will have trouble with meta though, but if you don't plan on using it for that, its a wonderful guitar, certainly the best (imo) for the price.
here in the UK G&L are more expensive... probably not what you're after if you're trying to keep the cost down, though definitely nice guitars.

i think the h1s have medium jumbo? could be wrong though.

for versatility, but still able to get most of the strat single coil tones, HSS is probably the way to go, i think you're right on that point. i think it's just a matter of trying as many HSS strats (not just by fender), and seeing which you like best, for a price you like...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definitely G&L. Dollar for dollar better guitars in terms of build, playability, fit and finish and, most importantly, tone.
There are great strats, but to get one better than a G&L Legacy, you would have to spend about $3000.

Check out these dealers for some gorgeous G&Ls
http://guitaradoptions.com/store/home.php?cat=254

http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=302
Quote by yoyodunno
Well for the music I'm going to start getting into blues more and want to learn some SRV stuff probably.

Right now my sg is pretty good for the metal stuff I play, but I was just playing a 100 dollar squier and had a small taste of the strat tone, maybe its because of the single coils tho. I would still like this to be a versatile guitar, so I probably don't need a single coil in the bridge if the other two pickups are single coils.

And the Highway one strats do look good, but do they have jumbo frets? Cause i like the medium jumbos.

I'll go look at the G&Ls now.
edit: aren't these the same price as MIA Fenders?

Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat....best strat I've ever played, like 550$...comes with texas special pups....amazing for blues.
Quote by yoyodunno
Oh, I forgot, I really want that 22nd fret lol.

Why do some strats have 21?

If you want a quality Fender with 22 frets, you'll have to go American as far as I'm aware, not sure about alternatives. If you ask me, it really isn't that important to have a 22 fret, pretty much all of the great guitars players from decades past, Hendrix, for example, used only 21 fretted guitars.
you could alwasy try soemthing liek the vintage japanese guitars, greco and tokai guitars from around the 80's ar meant to be very, very good guitars, it'll be soemthing quite interesting too and they are pretty cheap

just a thought really, mostly cos im sitting here rummaginf around the internt for good deals on vintage guitars haha
If you're in the market for a true Strat, look no farther than Fender.

You can probably find a used MIA Standard 08 for $700-$800 maybe. They're great and have 22 frets, if you're deadset on having that extra fret.
Funny enough after looking all over the internet, there's a MIA Fender sunburst at my local shop's website for 550 dollars with hardshell case.

Think I should go for it? I think even if I don't like it in the long run It'll always at least keep some value.
Quote by yoyodunno
Funny enough after looking all over the internet, there's a MIA Fender sunburst at my local shop's website for 550 dollars with hardshell case.

Think I should go for it? I think even if I don't like it in the long run It'll always at least keep some value.

That, in my opinion, is a steal. I'd grab it for sure. Tell us how it goes.