What do you guys think about:
- buying a Crate V series 50w tube amp ($199)
- replacing the speaker with a 1x12" celestion greenback ($109)
- replacing the tubes with a Ruby Tubes ECC83 (12AX7A) Preamp Tube and a Groove Tube Silver Series ST-KT66-C Power Tube (about $50)

Total: $360

I'm trying to get the best vintage 60's tube sound (Kind of a Jimi Hendrix setup) for under $500.
Just let me know if these customizations are possible, make sense, sound like a good idea, etc...

Thanks.
Also, if there are better customization options (different amps, speakers, tubes, etc), feel free to share.
well i waz told by my local gibson taylor music store that there were bought out. and now there are made in china. and he does not sell them any more. and they have randall amps now. and the people at randall said since crate got bought out there sale have increase.lol
You may need to change grid resistors to run KT66s. Also, you need to make sure your chassis can even fit KT66s, they're very large tubes. Lastly, I'd look at Valve Art for KT66s, all KT66s today are Shuguangs, but VA's tend to be a pretty good bunch.

and for a 50 watt tube amp, you'd want at least 60 watts of handling. So it'd be beter to go for 2 g12h30 speakers, which are better for Hendrix tone anyway.

or if it's a 1x12 combo, get a custom made 60 watt H75 from Scumback or Silver Bell from Ted Weber.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ruby and Groove tubes aren't that good.

Which Celestion are you looking at? The V30? That's not good for Hendrix.

Those tubes are the ones that Hendrix used; or at least it's in his Marshall replica amp.

I'm looking at the 50w or 33w Crate V, I don't know which one will give a bigger variety of tones (Hendrix, Page, SRV, Slash, etc.) I guess I'm basically trying to build a vintage sounding amp (preferably Marshall-ly) that can handle the 60's - 70's and the 80's (with some help from pedals.)

And I just noticed the celestion I was looking at is only a 25w, so I would have to go with the 60w + celestion (same price I think) if I went with the Crate 50V.

What would you recommend for my styles, which include: Hendrix, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, The Who, Guns N Roses, SRV, AC/DC...?
Attachments:
535045.jpg
Quote by al112987
You may need to change grid resistors to run KT66s. Also, you need to make sure your chassis can even fit KT66s, they're very large tubes. Lastly, I'd look at Valve Art for KT66s, all KT66s today are Shuguangs, but VA's tend to be a pretty good bunch.

and for a 50 watt tube amp, you'd want at least 60 watts of handling. So it'd be beter to go for 2 g12h30 speakers, which are better for Hendrix tone anyway.

or if it's a 1x12 combo, get a custom made 60 watt H75 from Scumback or Silver Bell from Ted Weber.

So the dual speaker Crate 33w would possibly be better for Hendrix? How about the other artists I listed?
Last edited by electrictone at Oct 5, 2008,
Hey would doing this same thing on my Crate V18 112 be a good idea?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I think you'd be better off buying a better amp and keeping it stock. Look into used Peaveys.
Quote by Mecler
I think you'd be better off buying a better amp and keeping it stock. Look into used Peaveys.

What peavey exactly?
Quote by Mecler

Another thing is, I'm not really looking for effects on the amp, only thing I'll need is one really nice clean channel and reverb. (I can buy pedals for distortions.)
whats wrong with using the crate V series thread?

or GBnC?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
So what is the key difference (tone wise) between a one speaker 50w and a dual speaker 33w?

Again, I'm looking for Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, SRV, Clapton, Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Angus Young, etc... (I know I will have to buy some pedals...) But I'm looking for and amp with an overall good clean tone that I can add distortion too, but it coming with a good crunch wouldn't hurt :P
Quote by electrictone
Those tubes are the ones that Hendrix used; or at least it's in his Marshall replica amp.

No, that's just what they use in his reissue amp. doesn't make them good brands.

Quote by electrictone

I'm looking at the 50w or 33w Crate V, I don't know which one will give a bigger variety of tones (Hendrix, Page, SRV, Slash, etc.) I guess I'm basically trying to build a vintage sounding amp (preferably Marshall-ly) that can handle the 60's - 70's and the 80's (with some help from pedals.)

And I just noticed the celestion I was looking at is only a 25w, so I would have to go with the 60w + celestion (same price I think) if I went with the Crate 50V.

What would you recommend for my styles, which include: Hendrix, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, The Who, Guns N Roses, SRV, AC/DC...?

Personally, I would recommend a Traynor YCV50 Blue. Brand new, on eBay, they cost 650. You can find them used for around 500. Great Marshall tone, nail it much better than the Crate.
Dude, if you get the V50, just throw some 5881's in it. Tung Sols.

It'd hit a Bassman tone, especially if you throw some 12AT7's in it.
Also: Pull the damn plastic logo off when you get it. Makes it look 10x better.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, that's just what they use in his reissue amp. doesn't make them good brands.

Personally, I would recommend a Traynor YCV50 Blue. Brand new, on eBay, they cost 650. You can find them used for around 500. Great Marshall tone, nail it much better than the Crate.

+1

This right here.

You won't regret it; I know I don't.
Quote by electrictone
Another thing is, I'm not really looking for effects on the amp, only thing I'll need is one really nice clean channel and reverb. (I can buy pedals for distortions.)

I would reccomend a Super Reverb from the 70s or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe if you only need great cleans and reverb.
I recommend a Ceriatone Marshall clone. They get great reviews, and so does everything made by Ceriatone for the most part. You could get a really nice amp that way if you saved up a bit more.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by forsaknazrael
The V50 uses 6L6 tubes, right?
My favorite are Winged 'C' 6L6GC tubes. However, Unless you want to buy the pair I no longer use, they're fairly pricey. Svetlana 6L6GC's are virtually identical tonally, and much cheaper.

How about for the Crate V33 amp?
Quote by forsaknazrael
That uses EL84's, right? A good choice would be JJ EL84's.
I still recommend investing in a Traynor, though.

How would the Traynor compare with a Peavey Windsor (half stack or combo?)
Quote by electrictone
How would the Traynor compare with a Peavey Windsor (half stack or combo?)

Much better. The Peavey Windsor halfstack has no cleans, the cab is terrible. From what I've heard about the combo, it's nothing like the halfstack, and isn't good.

The YCV80 you linked is a good deal, but doesn't do British tones. The YCV50 Blue is what you're looking for.
Or this:
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/875051194.html
Not much more gain than AC/DC, but it's a great plexi amp. But you'll still need a cab, too.