I've decided I want to become a bassist, but I know nothing about them! I want to play metalcore and rock, with some funk too, so what would be a good practice amp and cheap, but good quality bass? I've been eyeing the Fender jazz bass, but could it pull off metalcore like bullet for my valentine?
Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
I've decided I want to become a bassist, but I know nothing about them! I want to play metalcore and rock, with some funk too, so what would be a good practice amp and cheap, but good quality bass? I've been eyeing the Fender jazz bass, but could it pull off metalcore like bullet for my valentine?

Fender Jazz Basses can do anything
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
yeah, im not sure that a jazz bass would be best for metalcore. maybe look at an esp. they have some pretty sick models that are really cheap on musician's friend.

here are two for only $300:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F104-Electric-Bass?sku=516771

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EX104-Bass-Guitar?sku=515737

they both got good reviews too. (:

but if your lookin for something you can slap on look at cort. both of my basses are corts and they are way versitile and most corts are really cheap too.
Quote by Andron17
a starting bass being a jazz bass? HOW LOADED ARE YOU ?
Dude, a jazz bass isn't that much. I got my jazz bass a month after getting my first bass squier and it was only $499 USD.

To TS: Although you are keen on the jazz bass, be sure to try out as many basses in your price range as you can and choose the one you like. Also, don't forget to try out a Precision bass.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
The Jazz will not do as well in metalcore as an inbanez or an esp or something like that.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
an p-bass specail would work better IMHO because it will handel metal better but i love my jbass dont do much metal on it im biuilding a custom for that
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
The bassist from Opeth uses a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. Jazz basses do very well in heavy setting, so to their cutting tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well my starter bass was the Yamaha RBX170 which is a very good quality starter bass, has a nice punchy sound to it, which is good if your wanting to play metalcore stuff, and its also pretty good for funky basslines too.
well my first bass was a peavey zodiac.. its a signiture bass by david ellefson from megadeth.. n its one of the best basses iv ever played.. i still use it.. try it!!