This bass was my 3rd cousins and I recieved it with a 61 bassman after he died. He was the bass player in a back-up band that worked with a lot of people, Including Janis Joplin. That was the only name my aunt could remember. She was the only one that talked to him often and I only got to see him when he came to her house. I didn't know we had it until My dad and I we watching TV and a bass was on for some reason so he casually mentioned that we had one. After a while I claimed it and learned how to play it. I had guitars already but this just felt better to me.

the original color should be lake placid blue but the nitro finish made it fade. These are the actual colors as of now the flash changes the color in some of the next pics.
The pickup covers were alredy gone when I recieved it.

The frets have wore down. But what can you expect from a 40 year old bass. I'm not sure if replacing them would ruin the value or not. Now for more wear.

This pattern is all over the back of the head.

I don't konw what these are from but they are completely straight cracks in the finish.

This bass sounds amazing through both of my amps. It's tone is very versatile as the jazz bass is known for but getting a growl out of it is impossible. It's also really hard to get a muddy classic rock tone but it's possible. The sound is always bright even with dead round-woundwound and flat-wound strings strings (tape-wounds kill the brightness though). Currently It is strung up with round-wound D'addario's and will stay that way since I only bring it out to play every once in a while.
Ignore the dates my camera reset. I can't think of anything more to say except that the oval tuners and block inlays are my favorite parts. I haven't decided if it's value, sentimental value, or use as an instrument are more important to me but Iwill decide someday. If you want to know something about it just ask.
Sweet Guitar man!
Quote by Tubyboulin
Apperently thats called rape Who knew?
Oh my god that is an awesome bass dude.

You have to be the luckiest guy of the day =O
I'd start playing bass when i had something like that, too!

edit: ^WHAT THE FAIL
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
I'd kill for that bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Wow! That's a nice jazz bass! For a 42 year old instrument that thing is in mint condition! Just one thing I'm wondering though. Didn't Fender have blocked and bound necks only in the 70's? Your bass is a 66', so I'm confused.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Thats nice! Is the position of the pickups standard though? One of them seems a little off to me
sweet bass. But, dude, you actually know your 3rd cousins that well? I don't even know the names of my second cousins
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kaptink
Thats nice! Is the position of the pickups standard though? One of them seems a little off to me
Maybe you might be thinking it should have the 70's jazz bass spacing like what is now on the Geddy Lee, MIM 70's Jazz bass, Marcus Miller, etc. The 70's spacing has the bridge pickup moved 1/4th of an inch closer to the bridge to give the Jazz a more "up-front" or "agressive" sound. The threadstarter has a 66 jazz so his should be in the "standard" position like on most new fenders.
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
That's so awesome, best BOTM for ages. I love the colour and the block inlays.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
That's so awesome, best BOTM for ages. I love the colour and the block inlays.
I love vintage jazzes because that's back when fender used block inlays and bound necks. I wish fender would go back to putting block inlays on their basses. The only ones that have it now are the MIM 70's Jazz Bass and the Jaguar. The 70's Jazz Bass is nice but they should add more body color options and put the bridge and neck pickup covers to really give it a 70's vibe. The Jaguar has what Fender calls "Aged Pearloid Inlays" and the inlays on the Jaguar look so ugly. On MusiciansFriend it dosen't look that bad, but I saw them in person and I was like

Seriously, WHY can't Fender put block inlays and bound necks on their basses. They could at least do it to their American Standard line. If i'm gonna spend $1,149 I'd like a block-and-bound neck on my jazz.
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
I love vintage jazzes because that's back when fender used block inlays and bound necks. I wish fender would go back to putting block inlays on their basses. The only ones that have it now are the MIM 70's Jazz Bass and the Jaguar. The 70's Jazz Bass is nice but they should add more body color options and put the bridge and neck pickup covers to really give it a 70's vibe. The Jaguar has what Fender calls "Aged Pearloid Inlays" and the inlays on the Jaguar look so ugly. On MusiciansFriend it dosen't look that bad, but I saw them in person and I was like

Seriously, WHY can't Fender put block inlays and bound necks on their basses. They could at least do it to their American Standard line. If i'm gonna spend $1,149 I'd like a block-and-bound neck on my jazz.

I wouldn't have them on the American standard, they are supposed to be modern. But there definitely should be a higher end jazz that has block inlays and pickup covers. Would be brilliant.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Wow! That's a nice jazz bass! For a 42 year old instrument that thing is in mint condition! Just one thing I'm wondering though. Didn't Fender have blocked and bound necks only in the 70's? Your bass is a 66', so I'm confused.
The binding started in mid 65 and blocks started in mid 66.
sweet bass man. I played one of those at The used GC, it wasn't that color, and it had a lot of nice slashes all over it. and it felt really nice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Awwwwwwwwwwww
It looks so pretty!
I bet it sounds just as good as it looks.... I'm a sucker for the sound of a Jazz Bass
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Sweet man, sweet. I dont really like th colour but i would still kill for that bas.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I want.

That is the coolest bass I've seen in a long time.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
From what I understand, oval tuners were specific to 1966. That's how you know it's the real deal - clearly.

I know there's a lot of "it's an instrument, therefore play it, I have absolutely no sense of pragmatism" crowd, but that thing is a museum piece, that's for sure. I'd be scared and paranoid to play it. Oh, and a refret would probably half the value.

But about tapewounds - I threw them on my acoustic (now defretted) and I tell you they're not as dead as they're proported to be. Those soundbytes on the Rotosound site? They were heavy, heavy palm muting. HEAVY. According to the Fender package, they're just roundwounds covered in a nylon tape - and I find them brighter than flatwounds. It's as if the nylon's a protective barrier that'll never be broken, and the bright roundwound inside will always ring clear, where on flatwounds they die.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I know there's a lot of "it's an instrument, therefore play it, I have absolutely no sense of pragmatism" crowd, but that thing is a museum piece, that's for sure. I'd be scared and paranoid to play it. Oh, and a refret would probably half the value.

With the economy the way it's going, It would be stupid to sell it anyway.

I can't tell from the pictures, perhaps you could just get away with getting the frets recrowned so it's actually playable.
Just to let you know, vintage frets are flat like that. My '51 P reissue has small, flat frets.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The thing has a two saddle bridge for chrissakes! Intonation is a pipedream!

But it's still better than that bloody explorer/jaguar bass from England that was mentioned not too long ago...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
*drools*

if only the pickup and bridge covers were still there. it still looks awesome though.
To be honest, I'm more interested in the '61 Bassman.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Oh I know a few guitarists who would kill for that bassman btw....

You are very, very blessed my son.
I could care less on how good the bass sounds, I want that bass due to those sexy looking white block inlays on a jazz bass!
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Absolutely gorgeous bass, you lucky sod! Completely agree with FenderAmpeg93, I'll be getting a block-n-bound neck when I build my own Jazz, I love them to pieces. Only thing I heard about them is the neck is more vulnerable to warping, I have a feeling fitz said that.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Nice! I honestly like the Jazz bass best out of most of fender's basses and other somewhat similar ones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Wow man thats absolutley beautiful
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Dayum! I frikkin love these vintage Jazzes. Props to two of my favourite aesthetics, matching headstock and block inlays.

Does it have that old wood sound?

I gotta start meeting more cousins!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Slightly off-topic, but isn't the TS' location a reference to "Synchronicity II"?
I think so.

Sting had some weird lyrics.

not bad, just...weird.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
^
The location did come from the police song.

Quote by shotbythepope
Dayum! I frikkin love these vintage Jazzes. Props to two of my favourite aesthetics, matching headstock and block inlays.

Does it have that old wood sound?

I gotta start meeting more cousins!

It does have the old wood sound. It's hard to explain but it just accents everything the right way.