Hi!

I was just wondering one thing (that might be useful for the next effects or amps I would buy).

After listening to the solo (2:35) in Dreamer (Ozzy Osbourne)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJqswLi3uE

I was wondering what the guitarist is using to get that sound?
Which guitar ? (apparently a Les Paul)
What kind of amp ?
What kind of gear/effects pedals ?

Thanks
Cool_rom
LP and a JCM800 will get that sound. If you can't afford one, Ceriatone, or Orange will get you there too.

I'd use an overdrive too - I like the SD1, but a lot recommend Tubescreamers on here.

If you just want that tone, try a ZW44 maybe?
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
thats just your classic oldskool les paul tone, you can achieve that with a traditional-voiced valve amp like a marshall or some laney's set to a "mid gain" setting with a gibby-type guitar (two gibson-style humbuckers, maybe inner body routing?)

that said, zakk uses EMG's and lots of high-gain gear
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Ok thanks. I have a Gibson SG Special and an Ibanez TS9. I guess all I need now is a good tube amp and maybe the ZW44.
No - the TS9 will do it - in my opinion, the ZW is a bit of a waste.

The SG will do the sound okay - maybe just not as thick a tone, but close enough.

What sort of a budget would you be looking at for an amp?
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I think 1000€ or 1200€.

I was thinking about the Vox AC30 CC2X. In Europe it costs 1600€, except in UK where it is possible to get it at 1100€.
The AC30 is a brilliant amp, but its not really going to do the job for hard rock/metal. Its more for a clean or classic rock sound, which it does superbly!!!

If you would buy second hand, look out for a JCM800.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
most of you guys left out one of the aspects of this solo: the wah.
Zakk cocks his wah at a certain spot to get that tone, thats why he has that tension torque thing put on his signature wah. but you can get the same sound from any crubaby or vox wah with a Fasel inductor.

a TS-9 won't get you Zakk's sound. his SD-1 was modded to scoop out the mids a little, the opposite of the TS series that has the Mid-Hump. if you don't want to mod your pedal, the ZW-44 is already wired like that.

besides that, an Epiphone les paul (except the flattop ones) with EMG 81/85s (either Zakk's signature ones or the regular ones) and a Marshall style tube amp (like Splawn, Ceriatone and of course, Marshall) will get you that tone. the Vox wouldn't be good for Zakk stuff. it's to jangly, i find. not enough low end UMPH.

trust me on this, i used to be a HUGE Zakk fanboy when i started out. thats why i have my les paul, rotovibe, ZW-44 OD and "Marshall" 1/2 stack.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Oct 5, 2008,
I don't play much metal in fact.

The kind of sounds i like to have while playing rythm guitar are for example Hate to say I told you so (The Hives) or Pride (U2) or Argent Trop Cher (Telephone)
Last edited by cool_rom at Oct 5, 2008,