http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFcsEtFIKA is paul mccartney showing the bass equivalent of chords to guitar.

Is there any chart where i can look at the equivalent of a guitar chord, with the bass chords sounding the same?

like if my friend is playing certain chords like paul is doing i want to follow along in a bass rhythm but playing the same "chord" as in a-e...etc

any help is grateful
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Last edited by FreddieMercury at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by FreddieMercury
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFcsEtFIKA is paul mccartney showing the bass equivalent of chords to guitar.

Is there any chart where i can look at the equivalent of a guitar chord, with the bass chords sounding the same?

like if my friend is playing certain chords like paul is doing i want to follow along in a bass rhythm but playing the same "chord" as in a-e...etc

any help is grateful

He's not actually playing anything like chords; he's following the harmony of the rest of the instruments by playing root notes and putting fills and runs in the changes.

That said the best thing you can do is learn some theory; learn how chords are constructed and the notes that make them up so you can follow the changes using arpeggios and scalar runs in between.

You can also learn real chords on the bass if you want but I don't know of any specific lessons on UG or the internet that I could point you to, try google.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Chords on the bass are actualy pretty easy to figure out what exactly to play with simple theory knoledge and knoledge of chord forms, e.g. major, minor, dominant, etc.

It is always good to know guitar chords too. It helps me a lot as a bass player because I also play guitar so I know exactly what the guitarist will want to hear and exactly what will sound good. I just put myself in the guitarists position thinking what will sound good with what hes playing. The more theory you learn the easier it becomes.
i think this is what i was looking for

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Bassguitarnotes.jpg

but yea i wish i took that music theory class in high school =/
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Theory is going to be key here. Macca is basically hitting root notes under the chords with some passing notes. Understanding chord structure is going to be extremely important as a bass player. Getting your chord theory and scales down and how they related will be extremely helpful.

I'd recommend getting a good starter bass book such as Hal Leonard's bass method to help you progressively get this down and understood. Good luck!

Also--wander into the bass forum and there's some excellent threads out there on theory, chords etc. Plus we're a reasonably helpful bunch.