i play finger style on a 2008 MIM Fender Jazz bass with the strings that came on it through a Fender Rumble 25.
How can i get a similar sound to songs like Good Times Bad Times and Whole Lotta Love? Do i need to use a different amp or new strings? Also i just got the jazz bass so i dont know the sweet spots of the tone yet.
Cutting the treble and boosting the low mids should get you halfway, to get the other half you need to be John Paul Jones and have his rig.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
the tone on whole lotta love sounds kinda fat mabey would should boost ur bass some and your mids a tad then turn down your tone knob on your bass
ok ill try those thanks for the help. also any idea what strings i should buy (price isnt an issue right now) if i want a warm thump.
For a warm thump you could try flatwounds.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Dude, Whole Lotta Love is played with a pick, and he strums octaves. Good Times Bad Times is played with one finger. Do that and you'll sound a million times more like him.

In one interview, he said he used flats up until he got into Alembic, but in a recent interview he said he only used flats in the session days and was quite annoyed at the fact people thought he used flats. They didn't give him the sustain he wanted (because remember folks, JPJ just loved letting those notes ring!).

Now that seems pretty conclusive - however I don't buy it. Flats just NAIL his tone, really. So basically, keep that EQ flat, get some flats, and play the style he played it. But if you want to be accurate, get rounds - just roll off some tone, I guess.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Using your finger as a pick is how I would do it^
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The 7th fret of the A string with the open E?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You could also rest the joint of the index finger on the middle string of the octave shape to mute it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
You could also rest the joint of the index finger on the middle string of the octave shape to mute it.

that would of been how I imagined playing it, play over the E and A feels a bit wierd because of the different string tensions
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
that would of been how I imagined playing it, play over the E and A feels a bit wierd because of the different string tensions

Except he plays it on the A and E
Quote by rollininrhythm
Except he plays it on the A and E

What? I never even claimed that he played it on the E and D, I was saying how I find it more comfortable playing it that way.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
What? I never even claimed that he played it on the E and D, I was saying how I find it more comfortable playing it that way.

My bad, misread.
Just wondering how hitting a dead string and a fretted D string would be less awkward and have less tension problems than 2 strings right beside eachother...
Quote by Cody_Grey102