Alright, so i'm looking for a new type of strings to try out. I've tried medium Elixir Polywebs, and I didn't like em that much because the coating kept ripping off, i tried Elixir regular nanowebs, but I didn't like the sound.

I've tried the regular D'addarios also, but there's something about them I didn't like. My playing style consists usually of just chord melodies, and the often little 'tappy' kind of sound (very much like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUt5CX1TQFY )

What would you suggest?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I personally like the tone i can get with elixers in my alvarez, but they do work a bit better for chords than leads (not that leads don't sound good). They don't sound as good as the coating wears off, but they last a long time.
Try Martin SPs. Great strings and they keep a nice played in tone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Try Martin SPs. Great strings and they keep a nice played in tone.

Thanks! I will give these a shot
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by Silverstein14
Try Cleartones as well. I hear great things.

Cleartones, alright. I'll keep that in mind next time I try a new set!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by Silverstein14
Try Cleartones as well. I hear great things.

Sorry, I have to disagree here. Every set of cleartones that I've bought (like, 3 sets for my acoustic) have been horrible. They claim to be coated, but I notice that the strings will get tarnished within a very short amount of time. They feel like natural strings, yes, but they definitely don't last as long as Elixir's or D'addario EXP's.

I would personally recommend:

Martin FX
D'addario Phosphor Bronze
Dean's Blue Steel
Quote by Shinoda_Ex
Sorry, I have to disagree here. Every set of cleartones that I've bought (like, 3 sets for my acoustic) have been horrible. They claim to be coated, but I notice that the strings will get tarnished within a very short amount of time. They feel like natural strings, yes, but they definitely don't last as long as Elixir's or D'addario EXP's.

Martin FX
Dean's Blue Steel

Alright thanks. Well I just went out to buy a pack of Martin SP lights, so I'll give these a shot tonight and see how they hold out for me!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by Shinoda_Ex

Martin FX
Dean's Blue Steel

I have tried one set of cleartones and loved them. Elixirs however, are crap. I snapped the G in less than a week and later snapped my D. Never again will I buy Elixirs. The D'addario's on my Breedlove however are very nice so far.
I put some Martin SP lights, and IM LOVIN EM!!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
I thought you would. You're into all that Jack Johnson stuff, so i figured that warm strings like Martin SPs would suit you.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I thought you would. You're into all that Jack Johnson stuff, so i figured that warm strings like Martin SPs would suit you.

Thanks a ton I really dig the little slapping sound these strings produce, i really got to try them in the bathroom

Will they keep this nice resonant tone long?

I usually used to change my strings every 2 weeks with Elixirs
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Last edited by bluezombie at Oct 5, 2008,
Depends what you like. The bright sound will last for maybe... 4 hours? the played in sound will last quite long.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Depends what you like. The bright sound will last for maybe... 4 hours? the played in sound will last quite long.

Alright thanks!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass