I'll keep this brief. My mum, in her infinite wisdom, stole the speaker cable that connects my Orange Rocker 30 head with my cab to try and get me to do some chores, WITHOUT TELLING ME. Tonight I turn the amp on to play, see there's no sound coming out and realise the head isn't connected to the cab. OMG!? I turn it off as quick as possible, but it was on for about 30 seconds with no load. What damage has this done? I found the cable, connected it up and it seems to be working fine, but I have a gig next Thursday and I don't want to risk anything going wrong.

Thanks for any help.

If your output tranny was blown you'd know (you'd smell a scent vaguely similar to an electrical fire). If its working fine now, I think it should be ok.

Similar thing happened to my amp one time, I was working inside the chassis and someone wanted to test it out real quick and I didn't have a speaker connected and turned it on for about 5 seconds, and was like, "Andrew, why the hell is this damn thing not working?" Haha, I nearly crapped my pants.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 5, 2008,
Well if it's working now then nothing should be wrong. But i'd not play for about an hour to give it a rest, playing it now might aggrivate any half-problems.
Any time on standby will not have any effect.

Really it's harder to damage tube amps this way than you'd expect, although that still doesn't make it a good idea to do it.

If there was damage, it wouldn't work and it would've made an electrical smell and likely smoked.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Any time on standby will not have any effect.

Really it's harder to damage tube amps this way than you'd expect, although that still doesn't make it a good idea to do it.

If there was damage, it wouldn't work and it would've made an electrical smell and likely smoked.

I know standby's fine, the 30 seconds was denoting how long the switch was on ON for

Looks like it's gonna be ok, probably because I had to volume so low and turned it off so fast. So if any damage is indeed done, it would be the OT and that would be obvious right? The only reason I ask is that I don't want my tubes crapping out on me at the gig because they took a serious beating from this incident. tl;dr: Does this wear power tubes?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I know standby's fine, the 30 seconds was denoting how long the switch was on ON for

Looks like it's gonna be ok, probably because I had to volume so low and turned it off so fast. So if any damage is indeed done, it would be the OT and that would be obvious right? The only reason I ask is that I don't want my tubes crapping out on me at the gig because they took a serious beating from this incident. tl;dr: Does this wear power tubes?

Yes it'd be quite obvious, funny thing is that when people say that the amp would blow up from having no speaker connected, when problems happen, it would very literally start burning up and smoking. If it's working fine now, it should be ok.
A well built tube amp can take a lot more abuse than that. I've done that with my Framus at least 10 times now, and it's considered one of the worst construction quality amps over $2000, still no problems what so ever. It's gonna take a lot to kill an amp.

Solid State amps can run without a speaker load also.

Things that will kill an amp rather quickly
Excessive G's
Mismatched loads
Incorrect power tubes
neglect and abuse
humidity
Wrong fuses
power surge
incorrect voltages
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hey this question is coming from something someone said a few posts up. can you have your head on but on standby with no speaker connected? i want to try out my amp through 2 cabs and switch back and forth and that would make it easier than letting it cool down first and then turning it off and all that jazz.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well if the Orange didn't get hurt then it'll be fine if it's just on stand-by, just what Mr Carrot said
Quote by MESAexplorer
A well built tube amp can take a lot more abuse than that. I've done that with my Framus at least 10 times now, and it's considered one of the worst construction quality amps over $2000, still no problems what so ever. It's gonna take a lot to kill an amp.

Solid State amps can run without a speaker load also.

Things that will kill an amp rather quickly
Excessive G's
Mismatched loads

Incorrect power tubes
neglect and abuse
humidity
Wrong fuses
power surge
incorrect voltages

Well, not having a speaker plugged in is like having a cabinet with an impedance of... infinity. But yeah, actual use of the amp with a mismatched load is just asking for trouble.
I think I would have cussed out my mom for that one and threw out the money down the drain speech for being ignorant. God knows I got that speech 800 times when I was growing up.

And it should be fine, read up on Eddie Van Halen and some of the torture tests and mishaps he went through. Amps are a hell of alot stronger then most people give credit. Even tubes, I have an old set of powertubes laying around for testing and I cant count how many times I have whacked them on the reverb tank upon removal and just abused the hell out of them. And there still kickin.
Quote by al112987
Well, not having a speaker plugged in is like having a cabinet with an impedance of... infinity. But yeah, actual use of the amp with a mismatched load is just asking for trouble.

Well, the thing is you're not going to have an amp not working on for a while. Chances are if you have the load mismatched you might have it mismatched for a few hours at a time.

That being said Mesa Boogie can safely run with a huge mismatch for looooong periods of time. And all amps do have a tolerance of at least a few ohms. Currently I'm running 5.33333 ohms on my framus dragon, which I have set to 4 ohms and I'm running 2 cabs 1 8 ohm and 1 16. The guys at the shop said they would replace my amp if anything happened because they were confident enough in that being safe.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Well, the thing is you're not going to have an amp not working on for a while. Chances are if you have the load mismatched you might have it mismatched for a few hours at a time.

That being said Mesa Boogie can safely run with a huge mismatch for looooong periods of time. And all amps do have a tolerance of at least a few ohms. Currently I'm running 5.33333 ohms on my framus dragon, which I have set to 4 ohms and I'm running 2 cabs 1 8 ohm and 1 16. The guys at the shop said they would replace my amp if anything happened because they were confident enough in that being safe.

Running a 5 ohm load on an amp set to 4 ohms is not a significant mismatch though.

The bigger issue is, you're the first person I've seem to have come across that actually runs your amp set at 4 ohms (as opposed to 16 or 8). Any reason for that?
^Most people using two cabs have two 16 ohm cabs? When I get another cab to run with the speaker in my combo, Its gonna be an 8ohm cab and I'm gonna run my amp at 4 ohms.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
What Becky said. If it's working, you're pretty much good to go
Did you play through it whilst the head wasn't connected to the cab?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yes, I "played" though obviously it didn't make any noise. And I did have a bit of a go at my mum, but I suppose ignorance can be forgiven since nothing bad happened. She's never going near my amp now though Just for revenge I told her it blew a set of powertubes, and showed her the blackened ones from my valveking blow-out a few weeks ago. She's now too scared to even go near it.
You could get her to pay for a new set of tubes or something now! But nah, should be nice to your mum
Whip ya mum with the speaker cable

I just imagine that would be quite entertaining.

Then get back to grooving.
Quote by al112987
Running a 5 ohm load on an amp set to 4 ohms is not a significant mismatch though.

The bigger issue is, you're the first person I've seem to have come across that actually runs your amp set at 4 ohms (as opposed to 16 or 8). Any reason for that?

An 8 or 16 ohm load would be a more significant difference than a 4 ohm. As you said, 1 ohm difference isn't significant.

The cabs I'm using are an 8 ohm Carvin Legacy 2x12, and a 16/4 ohm Genz Benz 2x12. The most safe option is to run the 4 ohm out on an amp with 2 outputs to the both of them sending a load of 5.33 to each.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
tell her she's an idiot and that if she ever does that again, there will be hell to pay. Explain to her her wrongdoing, and inform her that she insists on acting in that manner, which cables she can confiscate (of course, that's optional if you are an ethical person )

But, no, the amp should be fine. Just check your tubes are still all glowing brightly, but it really should be ifne based off the info you have given me.

That's why Combos FTW.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
^ should be great, I played it a little earlier and turned it up to gig volume just to see if it would go bang. Nothing's happened; so far so good.
Quote by al112987
I play through two 8 ohm mono 4x12's and have my amps set to 4 ohms. Sounds great.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Ok, I guess if you're running two 8 ohm cabinets, I just don't usually see people running their amps on 4 ohms. I've always been told that 16 ohm just sounds better.