Hello all, I've recently taken up an interest in playing guitar and have been doing personal research on how they work and what makes one different from another. Two of my friends play, one plays bass however, and I have talked with them a bit. I've got a general idea of what I want, but I'd like a second opinion. I read both the amps sticky and EG sticky and they were helpful, but I still have a few questions.

1. Just because a guitar isn't listed on it's home website as having a certain finish/color, does that mean that it doesn't come in that color, even at local guitar stores?

2. On sites like musciansfriend and guitarcenter, guitars have a list price and a selling price. I've also read that at many stores, you can get guitars for as much as half of a site's price. Is this in reference to the list of selling price?

3. For Ibanez guitars, I'm having trouble finding anything other than Edge II/III bridges. Are there any that feature something better?

4. One more thing, in reference to a specific guitar. I found this on musician'sfriend and guitarcenter, but I can't find it on Ibanez's homesite. Is it new/discontinued/misnamed?

BTW, I'm in around the $800-900 price range, which includes both a guitar and an amp. If anyone has any suggestions on guitars that might fit my price range I would really appreciate it.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Get the RG370DX, it's never let me down so far.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

if a store has it, its more than likely official if its doscountinued it doesnt make any diffrence just makes it more valueable in a few years time dont worry so much about it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Thanks guys. Does anyone have anything else? I'd really appreciate it.
You probably won't find a guitar with a finish not listed on the website, especially when buying new. There is a chance if you buy a used one, but it costs too much money to do it right.

The selling price is usually what you'll find in guitar center and whatnot, musician's friend is owned by guitar center, and unless something's on sale in your local store, they're the same prices.

What kind of music do you want to play, and will you be playing in a band?
Quote by HighPotency
Maybe an S series ibanez and then you can have some money left for an amp and still have a good, lasting trem.

This.
ಠ_ಠ
1. Most of the time all the colors will be shown on the manufacturers site but sometimes they make other runs of colors/styles that aren't standard models.

2. In my experience, when buying new, the price on sites like musiciansfriend is usually on par with what is in the store. Sometimes the store will be slightly cheaper, and sometimes slightly or even a lot more expensive.

3. The S, S Prestige, and RG Prestige all have better trems. However these are more pricey.

4. These guitars are made in smaller quantity I believe and only sold through certain places. It's still made by Ibanez and will still have the exact same parts/quality of the other ibanez RGs in that pricerange.
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate all the insight. I plan to actually go and try out some guitars around Christmas time, as the guitar and amp will probably be my only present. It's never to early to start planning, right?

@pak1351: I plan on playing metal, but you never know, I might fall in love with jazz or blues or something. Tom Morello's style has been a big influence on me and what I want to play.
I don't know if I'll actually be in an active band or not, but if I am, it'll probably be with a few of my friends who also play instruments. I'm not sure if what we'd actually play would be considered metal or not, because I figured our music would be a combination of each of our own types of stuff.

Oh, another question, I recently looked at an ESP, and noticed it had Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo. How do these stack up to the Edge III's found on pretty much every Ibanez?
dont get a guitar, its not cool
play the piano, its much cooler

it will save you the trouble as being stereotyped as a: pothead, hippie, metalhead, guy that bangs ugly girls, liking music, not taking a bath, trivium fan, dumb peron who cant read, saying dude a lot, a liberal, and being a vandal. if you buy a guitar, all people will think you fall into all of those catagories. please dont do it. buy a piano.
you may not smoke pot, you may hate hippies, you may listen to lil wayne for than you do metal, you may only date extremely attractive blonde bombshells, you may hate music for the most part, you may shower 3 times a day, you may hate trivium and all metalcore, you may have a 4.2 gpa and PhD in rocket science, you may read financial books, you may never say dude, you may be a conservative, and you might have never stolen a thing in your life, BUT if you play guitar, you will be stereotyped as what i have stated.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Last edited by bi-ah! at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by Quinlan
Hello all, I've recently taken up an interest in playing guitar and have been doing personal research on how they work and what makes one different from another. Two of my friends play, one plays bass however, and I have talked with them a bit. I've got a general idea of what I want, but I'd like a second opinion. I read both the amps sticky and EG sticky and they were helpful, but I still have a few questions.

1. Just because a guitar isn't listed on it's home website as having a certain finish/color, does that mean that it doesn't come in that color, even at local guitar stores?

2. On sites like musciansfriend and guitarcenter, guitars have a list price and a selling price. I've also read that at many stores, you can get guitars for as much as half of a site's price. Is this in reference to the list of selling price?

3. For Ibanez guitars, I'm having trouble finding anything other than Edge II/III bridges. Are there any that feature something better?

4. One more thing, in reference to a specific guitar. I found this on musician'sfriend and guitarcenter, but I can't find it on Ibanez's homesite. Is it new/discontinued/misnamed?

BTW, I'm in around the $800-900 price range, which includes both a guitar and an amp. If anyone has any suggestions on guitars that might fit my price range I would really appreciate it.

In the words of John Petrucci:

Just quit, just put your guitar on ebay or something.
Here's some advice.
Kill yourself
kill yourself
kill yourself
kkiillllll yyoouurrsseellff

Play whatever you get the chance to play, you might like Edge II/III or you might not,
You can't judge what you like and don't like without playing it first.
As stated above, probably metal.

@bi-ah!: I've been stereotyped since day one. They'll get over it.

The man who is most feared is the one who has nothing to lose.

EDIT: I realize I will have to make a couple of trips to the store to find out what I really want, but I'd like an idea of what I want to try first. Isn't it helpful to know if the distorion sounds muddy on a guitar's stock pickups? Or if using the tremolo puts the strings out of whack?
Last edited by Quinlan at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by m4l666
Get the RG370DX, it's never let me down so far.

It will, fear not...

TS, avoid the low-end RGs, if you want one that will last then look at the RG1570 and above.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My only bit of advice would be to ask yourself the question

"Why do I need a Trem"

If your answer is "I don't really" or "I don't know" then I'd give some serious consideration to finding a fixed bridge. Trems are great if you use them but if you don't they're alot of fiddling and maintainance for nothing.
Well, since I haven't seriously sat down and played a guitar, I wouldn't know exactly what I would do with it, right now anyway. Most of the ibanez's I've seen use an Edge III trem, as opposed to the Edge Pro's, and ZRs (which I've read are better). So if I DID decide I ABSOLUTELY need a trem, would it be better to buy a less expensive one and just buy/install a new trem? I just have a feeling that I'll either
a) Buy a fixed bridge guitar and regret not having a trem, or
b) Buy a trem bridge and HATE it

All I'm trying to accomplish here is get a guitar I'll be happy with so that I don't wish I had a "better" one. I'm an anti-buyer's remorse type.

Thanks for all the help though everyone. It was really helpful.
One Ibanez at your service
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SA260FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=517962

Remember that theres absolutely nothing wrong with an Epi Les Paul or MIM Hss Stratocaster.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

Also Crate V amps are fairly popular here so I recommend one of these
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

Theres plenty of amps around, so try one out before you buy it as well as trying out any guitar that feels right, you don't need a tremelo.

You don't want to spend too much incase you decide that you won't stick with it and noone expects a beginner to have a massively great tone. No offence.
Last edited by silly hats at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by Quinlan
Well, since I haven't seriously sat down and played a guitar, I wouldn't know exactly what I would do with it, right now anyway. Most of the ibanez's I've seen use an Edge III trem, as opposed to the Edge Pro's, and ZRs (which I've read are better). So if I DID decide I ABSOLUTELY need a trem, would it be better to buy a less expensive one and just buy/install a new trem? I just have a feeling that I'll either

All I'm trying to accomplish here is get a guitar I'll be happy with so that I don't wish I had a "better" one. I'm an anti-buyer's remorse type.

If you want a trem then it's far more cost effective to buy a guitar with a decent one in the first place.

However, if you're just starting then you don't want to go anywhere near a floating trem, they're a lot harder to play and maintain than a fixed bridge and they're far too much of a headache for a beginner. You won't regret not getting a trem because you'll be far too busy learning to play to worry about it - even if you did have one you wouldn't be be in a position to use it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 7, 2008,
Just to add. Ibanez's website seriously lacks. Sometimes new basses that are on sale in stores already don't appear yet on their website.

Edit: since you're still wondering what guitar to get, first get a Dean EVO XM for $100 (which is great, actually), learn to play the guitar and find out what it is you really want, thén start considering what expensive gear to get.

You may spend hundreds of extra dollars on the most awesome trem but then when playing decide that you're not going to use it anyway and it's a waste. Perhaps you like the feel of Les Pauls better than of Ibanez Wizard Infinite monsters. My advice: first learn to play a bit before making such (expensive) decisions so that you know what you want.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by Quinlan

Go to a local shop, try out every single guitar there if you want to, then decide if you want a trem bridge or not. sounds simple, eh?
As a total beginner i would stay away from a trem, they are a pain in the ass! And the edge trems are complete and total junk!