Page 1 of 2
The neck joint to the headstock is pretty damn cracked...
I want to know, how bad it is.

And now for the glamour shot

NONE OF THESE PICTURES HAVE ANY EDITING AT ALL. (not even the glamour shot)
So everything you see is natural.
the glamour shot is nice.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
that doesn't look very natural to me.

i think it's finished, beyond repair. i'm not experienced though so you should go ahead and get that checked out.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
the deciding factor is if repair would cost more than the guitar is worth. If its anywhere close just buy a new guitar and make a lamp or something out of that one.
shit man, sorry for your loss
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
I still play this guitar btw.
The intonation is $H!T and the action is high as hell but you know, i deal.
Quote by chris_red
How the hell did that happen?

+1. That must have taken a massive beating, looks like you ran the neck over or something.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
I think you should observe a moment of silence for that guitar. It looks like it's days are over.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
When i saw those picks my eyes widened like 110%.

That thing looks like a mortal combat character looks after a fatality, finished.

I'm sorry man but I would say that guitar has seen better days and it's time to retire it. What in the world happened?

Well it happened at a show were my bassist hit the strap i was using with his headstock (we were in a small bar) and the neck dropped and hit my amp.
Then it slowly evolved into this crack...
I think it's played it's final chord...
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
You should NOT be playing that guitar. Take the strings off. It's a safety hazard. If it snaps while you're playing, the wood splinters could go flying.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
You should NOT be playing that guitar. Take the strings off. It's a safety hazard. If it snaps while you're playing, the wood splinters could go flying.

Ive been playing it like this for over half a year...
Btw the tied sock is for that reason.
I keep it over the crack.
It only slided off as to show the crack...
That way i can avoid the hazard if it does break.
Plus i can't afford a new acoustic...
Im too busy building a cabinet and buying a head and speakers.
Quote by ShootingStars
it HIT an amp? holy taht was one hell of a show... i fell sorry for the guitar

Yeah, the headstock hit it and it made a small incision on the side.
This was my first show. Around 16 months ago.
Now its become This.
Give it one last kiss and thanks for the good times, and put it to rest
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
Give it one last kiss and thanks for the good times, and put it to rest

NO!
*insert denial*

But guys is it ok untill i get a new acoustic to continue to use it with the sock as a gaurd ?
No... most definitely not. that's why we're telling you to retire it. You have at least 150lbs. of string tension on an acoustic. Do you really want a broken headstock flying around near your face?
Equipment:

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']NO!
*insert denial*

But guys is it ok untill i get a new acoustic to continue to use it with the sock as a gaurd ?
I understand you though... If my acoustic was in that state, and I wouldn't have money for another one, I think I'd do the same thing as you...

Just be careful, because it can ge alot worse, and you could hurt yourself from splinter projectiles when the thing snaps.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
No. I'm pretty sure the only thing holding that neck together is the pressure put on it by the strings, one wrong move and that thing could explode lol.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Quote by bagrm
No. I'm pretty sure the only thing holding that neck together is the pressure put on it by the strings, one wrong move and that thing could explode lol.

That makes no sence because i change the strings once a month at minimum.
Which means atleast 16 string changes...

But yeah i guess ill just buy a cheep-o acoustic
Unless Yamaha covers something this severe.
The pressure's whats making the crack larger. The truss rod might be what's holding it in place.
Equipment:

Take the strings off.

Inject the crack etc full of epoxy resin (do you guys have Araldite over there?)

Strap it up tight an dtry and close the crack as much as possible.

Let it set, clean it up, re-string it.

If it does break, it won't be on the join, assuming you did it right.
I can't belive noone loled at 'Adsactly' !
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Take off the strings immediately, I shit you not when I say that I had a close friend in High School that was blinded by something exactly like this. Completely lost use of his right eye and his left eye is mostly gone. The head snapped and the strings whipped it around and caught him right in the face.

I would recommend you plant some sort of plant in it and keep it around the house. Not everyone has a plant growing in a guitar. It will be a novelty.
Wow... dang. that's not cool. I knew it would be bad if you got hit with strings, but that sounds brutal.
Equipment:

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']That makes no sence because i change the strings once a month at minimum.
Which means atleast 16 string changes...

But yeah i guess ill just buy a cheep-o acoustic
Unless Yamaha covers something this severe.

Yeah, just buy a super cheap acoustic meanwhile, like this one for example:
http://www.music123.com/Rogue-OOO-Style-Acoustic-Guitar-515545-i1400546.Music123

The tone maybe not as better as the Yamaha, but the playability pretty sure will.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by ZanasCross
Take off the strings immediately, I shit you not when I say that I had a close friend in High School that was blinded by something exactly like this. Completely lost use of his right eye and his left eye is mostly gone. The head snapped and the strings whipped it around and caught him right in the face.

I would recommend you plant some sort of plant in it and keep it around the house. Not everyone has a plant growing in a guitar. It will be a novelty.

Typically an urban myth fit for Adam and Jamy. Give me a name and telephone number so I can check out the facts. Until then I stick to what I know, which are a) strings store a lot of tension, but hardly any kinetic energy because they stretch only a very tiny bit, b) strings are very light so even when they move it is without much destructive force, and c) if string breakage or catastrofic collapse of musical instruments indeed posed a risk, however small, all musicians professionally playing bowed instruments would have to wear safety goggles and protective armour.

Yet I agree that it is wise to take the strings off an instrument that is broken like the above, just to prevent further damage.
And then, contrary to most of the responders here, I would glue the guitar back together again. To my experience, damage like this is quite repairable.
^ It wasn't the strings that did the damage. He had it sitting on his lap, and was doing something (I wasn't there, this is jsut his recollection to me) and the whole head stock snapped up and caught him right across the eyes.

I know strings don't do much, I've had them break and catch my hands before... but the way he had it help apparently made the headstock snap up and catch him in the face. Probably a once in a blue moon style fluke... but still not worth risking. I'm not experienced in actual repair, so I can't say whether it is fixable for sure or not, I just know that its somethign I probably wouldn't risk.
I'm sorry ZanasCross. I want proof or I won't believe you.
Think of it from a physical perspective; If the difference in length between a fully loaded and a fully released string is only one and a few parts of a millimeter, what on earth could have caused the headstock of your friends guitar to follow such a trajectory? Unless he stringed his guitar with rubber bands, there is nothing to explain such an occurence.
But if you insist: how about posting this on the Mythbusters site? Maybe they can settle this matter once and for all through a nice demonstration.
Quote by Marcel Veltman

And then, contrary to most of the responders here, I would glue the guitar back together again. To my experience, damage like this is quite repairable.

Quote by Skeet UK
Take the strings off.

Inject the crack etc full of epoxy resin (do you guys have Araldite over there?)

Strap it up tight an dtry and close the crack as much as possible.

Let it set, clean it up, re-string it.

If it does break, it won't be on the join, assuming you did it right.

Quote by Marcel Veltman
I'm sorry ZanasCross. I want proof or I won't believe you.
Think of it from a physical perspective; If the difference in length between a fully loaded and a fully released string is only one and a few parts of a millimeter, what on earth could have caused the headstock of your friends guitar to follow such a trajectory? Unless he stringed his guitar with rubber bands, there is nothing to explain such an occurence.
But if you insist: how about posting this on the Mythbusters site? Maybe they can settle this matter once and for all through a nice demonstration.

Like I said, its all heresay. It's what he told me and everyone else when we asked... "so why the hell are you suddenly blind?" From the physical standpoint (from a physics standpoint to be exact)... it is completely possible (though unlikely as you say). Tension is a stored potential energy. The conversion from potential and kinetic has nothing to do with weather something has stretched, otherwise chains wouldn't snap so violently at extremely high tensions... as the metal doesn't stretch. But I do quite see your point, and obviously can't verify this beyond his story and the fact that it is physically possible given the correct circumstances.

I'll take it to Mythbusters... what the hell.
Haha I found the post on the Mythbusters forums. And I do believe it is possible. If you look at how much tension is on the strings, and have ALL 6 and a headstock break, something is bound to go flying or cause potential injury. It just seems like common sense. Think about it, the strings are pulling at the headstock, and if that snapped off, they'd pull it back.

Still, no question about it that this guitar should be retired. Why risk it?
Then its to the Mythbusters we go. Let them smack a headstock in Busters face (though I predict it'll be agent Frank Doyle that's going to produce the results)
I'll make an account on their site tonight and post the suggestion. If they're not interested, I'll set up an experiment myself. I think I can come up with something you and I can agree upon.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Oct 7, 2008,
There's only one thing for it..

smash it to bits.

You'll never get another chance to do it. Plus, if it breaks while you're playing it, it could not only hit your face, but your hand too. It could break your hand. :O
Page 1 of 2