Page 1 of 2
Here lately I was required by my English class to read "On Writing", Steven King's memoir on his career as a writer, and it just totally reminded me of how much I used to love Steven King's stories. I only read a few (the Shining, The Stand, Everything's Eventual) and I was wondering if the Pit would recommend me a good one to read. Preferably a good scary one, any length, with a good plot and characters. So whaddaya got?

*Edit*: Totally just realized I have been spelling his name with a "V" this entire time. That means I spelt it that way in those essays I had to write about this book for my class...oh god...*facepalm*
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
Last edited by gatech54 at Oct 5, 2008,
IT.

best steven king book ive ever read. its about 1100-1200 pages, but man, what a great book.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by Haggard13
IT.

best steven king book ive ever read. its about 1100-1200 pages, but man, what a great book.

+ Infinity

My favourite book everrrrrr. That and 'Needfull Things' as well. But still, 'IT' is just in a class of its own.
You should just read Kurt Vonnegut instead. Everyone should just read Kurt Vonnegut
dark tower

addictive
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by Haggard13
IT.

Damn you.

+a squillion billion.

Amazing book, everything you hear about it being awesome is true.

If you want something shorter, go for Carrie, it's a classic and another one of my favourites.

Or if you want a more "horror" type book, Salems Lot would be good (my first King read).

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Tommy Knockers and some of his short story compilations are good like Skeleton Crew, Night Shift etc.
Moving on.....
Quote by Seryaph
You should just read Kurt Vonnegut instead. Everyone should just read Kurt Vonnegut

This man speaks truth!

But if you insist on King, I suggest Salem's Lot, or The Dark Tower series if you'd like to read something that's a little less blatant.
The dark half is my favorite book by him. Another good one is Different Seasons it has 4 short stories in it, one of them is Apt Pupil... or if you want a long read, go for The stand complete unedited version.
ಠ_ಠ
Skeleton Crew
And theres one of the Novella's that I cant remember the name of but it got made into the film secret window, I havent read it but its supposed to be good.
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Can't belive nobody mentioned The Green Mile.

Also, plus one to IT.

And I enjoyed Dreamcatcher.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
seems like IT is pretty popular here. I still back it up...lots of characters, lots of plot twists, side plots, very scary, morbid, the whole works. And of course, in true steven king fashion, it has endless references to Rock N' Roll.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

His newest one 'Duma Key' is supposed to be pretty great.
I haven't read it myself though.
I r Pirate!
Different Seasons is awesome, I'd reccommend Secret Window as well, the movie rendition is great as well
------

Shwiggity.
Christine. Gerald's Game. the Buick 8 thing(can't remember the name)
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
Christine. Gerald's Game. the Buick 8 thing(can't remember the name)

TS I dont suggest Gerald's Game its over all a pretty ****ed up book.
ಠ_ಠ
i read ONE King book, but i dont remember the name.. its about a boy moving to someplace he used to be on vacation i think, and his mom is slowly dying of cancer from smoking. he manage to get into this "dream world" where his mom is a queen or sum thats dying, and he find a friend who is a werewolf which he calls Wolf or sum.. Anyone know wtf im talking about? xP
and some evil ppls are chasing him and monsters and what not
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
^ think its the talismen

dark tower if you dont mind reading a 7 book series with a horrible ending
Quote by The Leader
Man, woman, and child alike wept openly at the scourge and pestilence that was birthed onto this Earth from my anus

Quote by inhatredofme
i rear back with the hammer and start raining down blows like thor upon a hooker
Last edited by famod at Oct 5, 2008,
IT
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
Misery
The Stand

They're all good though.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Pet Semetary - SICKEST BOOK OUT THERE!

It's sick man, everything is sick in it! SO ****IN SICK IDEA!
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Quote by strat07
    Pet Semetary - SICKEST BOOK OUT THERE!

It's sick man, everything is sick in it! SO ****IN SICK IDEA!

This man knows his shit
    "A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
    An Abstract Illusion
    Sex and the City
    Quote by Chrisiphone
    Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
    Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
    Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
    Its lame.
    Definitely Carrie or Salem's Lot. Also I'm in the middle of Bag of Bones, which has been really good so far.
    Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
    You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
    IT, apt pupil(short story) and desperation is what I would recommend
    Quote by dragoo-mon
    +1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
    Pies? You're the drunk one!
    The Long Walk is good. It's like the American Battle Royale.
    Last edited by Trefellin at Oct 5, 2008,
    I also agree with Salem's Lot

of all the king books ive read, this one was the only to truly frighten me
    Quote by bucktheduck

Quote by DieGarbageMan

I thought it was "Stephen King" not "Steven King"....could be wrong though...I don't read
    [img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
    Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
    Quote by SillyRabbit
    The Cell its amazing

This. I don't normally like reading but that book actually kept my attention.
    Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
    XBL tag: cbiggs18
    Page 1 of 2