The difference in price is considerable. Is it a case of:
1) just higher labour costs: go for the Mexico Strat, because there's little other difference
2) superior parts on the US Strats - go for them if you can afford it
3) the parts are more or less same quality but the build is better on the US Strat but nothing a setup wont fix
4) something else........

what is the difference anyway - are us Strats worth the extra?

Thanks in advance for your help
Last edited by shunter at Oct 5, 2008,
i would go with 3.

the us strats holds their value better comparing to the mexican, i would say the quality is slightly better then the mexican. tone wise i wouldn't tell the difference. but if you want american but dont have the money then get a japanese instead. the japanese strats have just as much quality as the american if not better
Quote by kckyle
i would go with 3.

the us strats holds their value better comparing to the mexican, i would say the quality is slightly better then the mexican. tone wise i wouldn't tell the difference. but if you want american but dont have the money then get a japanese instead. the japanese strats have just as much quality as the american if not better

this
and searchbar
Personally I would never buy a MIA strat/tele, because once I have that kind of cash Id either get a Schecter C-1 Classic, LTD EC-1000, or save for a PRS.

Although, my next guitar is probably going to be a Midnight Wine MIM Tele
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Japanese strats rule!!!!!
"And Whamo! Your stuck with some boring job, and they dont let you play guitar and they dont let you take pictures of naked women"
-Homer Simpson
Well I would go for a MIM and a pickup upgrade,the ones you find on the fender website are truely wonderfull...nice vintage tone.When you do that there is only a small difference between the MIA and the MIM (maybe MIA has better finish and factory setup).
Except that the MIA raises in value over the years (important if you want to sell it later)
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Mexican Strats don't have incredible quality control so if you get one be sure not to buy it online and try out as many as possible in store, becuase some are definatly better then others. That said, mexican strats are a much better deal then americans. The only reason I have an american is I was able to get it on clearence at guitar center so it was only about $150 more then a mexican.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
From my experience with both guitars, the build quality and hardware quality has been superior on the MIA. Better worksmanship really, just generally an overall better build. The price difference is worth it.
Quote by K!nj!
Well I would go for a MIM and a pickup upgrade,the ones you find on the fender website are truely wonderfull...nice vintage tone.When you do that there is only a small difference between the MIA and the MIM (maybe MIA has better finish and factory setup).
Except that the MIA raises in value over the years (important if you want to sell it later)

maybe after 20 years yeah it will
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
this blatantly belongs in EG

Good point

*reported to have moved*
MIM+pickup upgrade+setup is the way to go. It's what I did and now it sounds and plays better than my friends Japanese strat.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by (Metal)lica
Personally I would never buy a MIA strat/tele, because once I have that kind of cash Id either get a Schecter C-1 Classic, LTD EC-1000, or save for a PRS.

Although, my next guitar is probably going to be a Midnight Wine MIM Tele

*Looks at sig* Lol!

I would go with 3 as well. American will hold it's value for resale in years far down the road. But my MIM sounds great with the mods I've done. So in the end your going to spend money on the MIM to mod it to sound real nice and get what you want, might as well do that.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
If you've got enough money to buy a new MIM Fender...

Go get a used MIA.