After months of searching around for an amp head i've finnaly settled on a Mesa single rectifier. It's pretty much left me dry as far as funds for a cab though. I've always been looking to go with a 2x12 cab for the portability, and i don't need a 4x12 yet. I'm lookign for the generic hard rock/metal american sound like Alter Bridge, Saliva, Staind, Killswitch engage sort of thing.

So i'm looking for opinions on 2x12 cabs, my budget is about £150. I know this is very limited but i can't go much higher than that at all. So far i've come across a used marshall 1936 2x12, and the following :

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gs212ie.htm

I assume the build of the harley benton would be pretty bad going on the price and i've heard nothing of the laney, so opinions would be very helpful. Any other suggestions around that price would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

The Harley Benton is actually pretty good for the price. I'd also reccommend you look into avatar cabs, great quality for affordable prices.
avatar and veretone both offer good custom cabs for cheap
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I'm from the UK so i think avatar are out of the question after shipping and taxes are added. Keep the opinions coming please!
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

Very few ship abroad though and the shipping fees are huge, i don't think it's feasible really. Thanks anyway.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

i would go for the used marshall 1936. and kudos for realizing you dont need a 4x12
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Yeah, if you can get hold of a 1936 used then go for it. Other than that, I think one of the traynor cabs is pretty good value and has some decent speakers...hang on.

EDIT: Can't find it, sorry. The 1936 is your best option anyway.
shit your buying a Mesa in the UK? damn man... you know you could get an ENGL or a Laney and it might sound even better for cheaper... just try em out, but if you really want the mesa, a marshall 1936b sounds like a good plan.
^ye i know, i got a good deal on a new single rectifier so it ended up the same price as an engl fireball which was my other option. I prefer the mesa sound though. The laney's were cheaper, but i found their voicing too british for my liking really.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

I personally think the Marshall 1936 sucks.

A near $650 MDF cabinet? Are you kidding me. Marshall cabs below the 1960 series are poorly built using MDF, and do not sound good nor are they built particularly well. Hell, even the 1960 cabinets (outside of the HW) use MDF backings.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by HighPotency
I hear avatar cabs are good for the price but i still can't figure out how you order the damn things on the website.

Thread Hijack: You don't. You either call or send them an email.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Another question.......What makes a cab bad exact;y? I mean the Harley benton has good speakers, is made of plywood (which i assume is better than the marshalls mdf), what else is there to go wrong? Thanks
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Quote by Pete Griffin
Another question.......What makes a cab bad exact;y? I mean the Harley benton has good speakers, is made of plywood (which i assume is better than the marshalls mdf), what else is there to go wrong? Thanks

Thickness, Jointing, Connections, Acoustic design, speaker seating, durability, reliability...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Anyone got any views on the Laney 212 cab i linked to earlier? how do the seventy 80 speakers rate compare to V30's? cheers
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

if you could put a bit extra in a Vader cab is like the metal version of avatar
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I can't afford to import from th US with all the custom charges. Any other recommendations for a cheap decent cab?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Anyone tried that Laney cab i mentioned, seems to be the cheapest decent branded 2x12 cab i can find.

Also how do the seventy 80 speakers rate compare to V30's? cheers
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

a couple of dudes on the bareknuckle forum have them, i think. from what i can remember, they were impressed for the price, but i haven't tried one before. maybe you could do a search over there to see if you can find the thread where they were talking about them...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahh excellent, shall head over there now, thanks again^^
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

no worries. i was actually going to post that when i originally saw your thread, but wasn't sure of the value of hearsay... still, i figured some info was better than none...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the general opinion of 70-80 speakers according to various sites and reviews from people, they aren't as good as v30's. That's just my take from a couple of google searches.
It's great, some good opinions there, think i'll probably pick one up by the looks of it Just a tad confused on the ohm matching and stereo and mono connections etc :/

The laney apparently has a 160 watt mono input @ 16 ohm and a 2x80 watt stereo input @ 8ohm

The amp has one 8 ohm output and two 4 ohm outputs.

So would this would ok, how does mono and stereo effect its operation? (i understand mono and stereo but not in guitar since i thought it was a mono instrument :/)

^^ yes that's the main opinion i've found, so it's basically a toss up of better construction quality of the Laney (i assume) or better speakers in the Harley Benton.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Oct 9, 2008,
i'm not too well up on it either, it should be fine if you run it in mono i think. would probably be fine in stereo too, as the single rec is only 50 watts, isn't it? EDIT: i'd personally go for better construction quality as you could upgrade speakers later, but it's your call (and i haven't tried either cab, so i can't say for sure that the laney does have better construction quality)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been checking out the ohm matching and the laney is fine So ok on that front Gah decisions are always so hard when you can't test things out , the Laney is made in China afterall so i'm not so sure if it'll be any betetr than the Harley Benton. The Laney appears to be slightly deeper than the Harley Benton which supposedly gives a bigger sound closer to a 4x12 so maybe i'll go for that. Thanks for all the help, always very useful and much appreciated!
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

yeah, i know exactly what you mean about not being able to try stuff, that's the story of my life most of the time...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?