Hey UG, back again, after lots of practice and self-teaching by the internet, I need some help in which direction to go now.

I have learned all the basic major, minor, seventh (some major, no minor yet) chords, the fretboard (not instantly without thought yet, still working on that), the major scale WWHWWWH thing and how to make chords from the intervals from that scale pattern, pentatonic scale sorta, octaves, power chords, very little diatonic chord progression (Maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, dim), 1-5-4 cadence, and other techniques like vibrato, slides, hammer-ons, downpicking, I just can't get down pull-offs and alternate-picking without muting something or plucking another string on accident, no matter how slow.
Learned a few songs in hopes of playing for talent show at school in 4 months, just Seven Nation Army, House Of The Rising Sun, intro to Smoke On The Water, Empty Apartment by Yellowcard, this one song i cant remember from Drake & Josh, even some rap songs, I try to improvise sometimes, but sounds terrible, soloing seems impossible.

I'm just so unsure of what to work on now, arpeggios? (they are sometimes difficult, but I think I could accomplish it if I really worked hard on it) sweep picking? I can barely do it on House Of The Rising Sun.. Modes? Is it really necessary in the beginning >_<
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Last edited by XxDre09xX at Oct 5, 2008,
learn scales and work on forming rythms that go into leads
Fender Stratocaster Mexican
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Peavy 112 Valve King 50 Watt Tube Amp

Boss Giga Delay DD20
Boss Overdrive DS20
Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Boss Chorus CS-1
Boss Pedal Board BCB-60
Forget advanced stuff like sweeping, pinch harmonics, tapping etc...you don't need to learn everything at once and you can't rush ahead until you've got a decent handle on the more fundamental stuff. It takes quite a while to become proficient enough to use things like that, there's little point spending months trying to nail pinch harmonics if your picking isn't up to scratch because there's no way you'll actually be able to make use of the technique until your basic skills are at a certain level.

Look at your list so far - there's a load of stuff you've barely even touched on, let alonelearned fully and if you keep trying top learn more stuff you'll just end up with a load of fragments of knowledge without ever learning anything properly.

The things to concentrate on and look to get more or less boxed off are

the notes on the fretboard
chord construction, and by association a bigger chord vocabulary...if you understand the rules properly then you don't really need to learn any more chords. Like minor chords, for example, you'll just "know" them, having said that there's no harm learning them.

Major scale - remember, it's not just a fretboard pattern. Memorising the shapes it forms on the fretboard is the beginning, not the end of learning the major scale. Study it, learn to recognise it, experiment with it, understand it. There's absolutely no reason to rush into modes - spend a significant amount of time simply studying the major scale and all it has to offer.

Techniques - basics, basics, basics. Concentrate on developing your sense of rhythm, your timing and also your fretting accuracy, picking accuracy and your ability to keep both hands synchronised. Likewise with pull-offs, slides and bends practice them. You WILL be able to do them, however you're going to have to slow way down with everything to teach yourself how to play things the right way. You need to learn the movements required from the ground up and that probably means you'll have to go at a snail's pace to start with.

Songs - learn more of em...learn everything, don't limit yourself to one genre. Just be realistic, don't try to learn stuff that's way ahead of your current abilities. Just look for songs that will help you make use of the techniques your learning.

Forget modes, forget improvising and forget pentatonic scales for the time being - you've already got enough stuff you NEED to work on to keep you going for months before you start to look any further ahead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by XxDre09xX
Hey UG, back again, after lots of practice and self-teaching by the internet, I need some help in which direction to go now.

I have learned all the basic major, minor, seventh (some major, no minor yet) chords, the fretboard (not instantly without thought yet, still working on that), the major scale WWHWWWH thing and how to make chords from the intervals from that scale pattern, pentatonic scale sorta, octaves, power chords, very little diatonic chord progression (Maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, dim), 1-5-4 cadence, and other techniques like vibrato, slides, hammer-ons, downpicking, I just can't get down pull-offs and alternate-picking without muting something or plucking another string on accident, no matter how slow.
Learned a few songs in hopes of playing for talent show at school in 4 months, just Seven Nation Army, House Of The Rising Sun, intro to Smoke On The Water, Empty Apartment by Yellowcard, this one song i cant remember from Drake & Josh, even some rap songs, I try to improvise sometimes, but sounds terrible, soloing seems impossible.

I'm just so unsure of what to work on now, arpeggios? (they are sometimes difficult, but I think I could accomplish it if I really worked hard on it) sweep picking? I can barely do it on House Of The Rising Sun.. Modes? Is it really necessary in the beginning >_<

I think you're ready to learn "licks." Go to youtube, search for "[insert scale of choice here] licks" (optional: put "rock" "metal" or "blues" in the search as well to get licks more towards your preference).

If I were you, I'd look up pentatonic licks to begin with. In fact, this right here, that's right, THIS LINK HERE (you know you want to click it, don't resist) is probably your best bet on intros to licks. They're bluesy, but they're also probably the most vital licks I've ever learned, and lick #4 can be sped up to make some BADASS rockin solos.
In addition to what birdman said (heed the seagull, he's usually right), practice what you already know with a metronome. Don't just learn the techniques then shelve them to learn songs either, start composing with what you know. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, but a musician is gauged by his/her body of work.

Compose often, it's a technique to practice like everything else, and it'll help you learn how to apply what you know rather then just being able to rattle off a handfull of techniques. Play them in different ways at different points on the fretboard. Move chords around, mess around with diminished and "funky" chord progressions, play your scales forewards and backwards, combining other techniques like slides and hammers/pulls. Don't just learn, apply and have fun!

Hope that helps
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play