Everyone says the amp matters more, but we have the same amp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVA0ODWaQBs . When I go for this tone, with a Squier Mini Strat, it just doesn't cut it. Is this the guitars fault? I plan on getting a new guitar, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Why are you using a Squier Mini Strat with a Deluxe Reverb!?

I know amp is more important than guitar, but you would really need at least a mexican strat to get the best out of that amp...

However, the guitar should still do it - just use a good clean setting with reverb - looks like he's using the middle pickup in that video too.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I'm sorry, you want your Squier Mini Strat to somehow match up to his MIM Strat with upgraded pups?

If you're using a good amp (which you are) the differences between guitars really do show through a lot more, I think you might be the first person I've ever recommended a guitar upgrade for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mck_776
Why are you using a Squier Mini Strat with a Deluxe Reverb!?

I know amp is more important than guitar, but you would really need at least a mexican strat to get the best out of that amp...

However, the guitar should still do it - just use a good clean setting with reverb - looks like he's using the middle pickup in that video too.

I didn't have enough cash to upgrade both, and my previous amp was a bass amp.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
You know, according to some very prominent guitarists, (and the musician Talk forum) a lot of tone is in the fingers.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by lespaul#1
Everyone says the amp matters more

Not exactly. Tone mainly comes from the guitar (materials, mostly). the guitar is the source of the tone, but the amp is the messenger; an amp doesn't so much decide tone as alter that of the guitar (it can change it quite a bit, though).

In short, there's a reason certain guitars are associated with certain genres (i.e. Tele for country, Schecter for metal, etc.), so yes, your guitar might be the issue here.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
My tone gets nowhere near as good, it can do sharper ones, though. I'm asking, it's not the amp that's holding me back, it's the guitar, right? If I was to buy the '57 or '62 Stratocaster I plan on buying, will it sound as good?

EDIT: I know fingers matter, but I can play the intro about as well as he can, and my tone isn't at all as good, it lacks a lot of bottom end, even when I turn up the bass.
Quote by chip46
Well, i'd certainly look to upgrading your guitar, not just to get that tone.

Good choice on the amp though - very nice sounding amps
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
Well, i'd certainly look to upgrading your guitar, not just to get that tone.

Good choice on the amp though - very nice sounding amps

For my favorites, Surf foremost, then blues and classic rock, it's perfect.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
My tone gets nowhere near as good, it can do sharper ones, though. I'm asking, it's not the amp that's holding me back, it's the guitar, right? If I was to buy the '57 or '62 Stratocaster I plan on buying, will it sound as good?

EDIT: I know fingers matter, but I can play the intro about as well as he can, and my tone isn't at all as good, it lacks a lot of bottom end, even when I turn up the bass.

The upgrade to a decent strat should make all the difference, if you're not happy with your tone after that then I'd recommend maybe re-examining what you're looking for out of your tone.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The upgrade to a decent strat should make all the difference, if you're not happy with your tone after that then I'd recommend maybe re-examining what you're looking for out of your tone.

Well, I'm looking for the song I posted's tone, and Early Ventures and Dick Dale. This guy uses a MIM Classic Series 50's Strat with '57/'62 pickups, the same pups in a '57 and '62 Strat. Is the '57 or '62 Strat the perfect guitar for me?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Well, I'm looking for the song I posted's tone, and Early Ventures and Dick Dale. This guy uses a MIM Classic Series 50's Strat with '57/'62 pickups, the same pups in a '57 and '62 Strat. Is the '57 or '62 Strat the perfect guitar for me?

That's a bit too in depth for me, I'm not too up on Strats so someone else will have to take over.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by lespaul#1

try it out and see for yourself..?
Quote by Swap-Meet
try it out and see for yourself..?

Yeah, I'm going to a local music store next weekend to try out 3 Strats and 1 Jazzmaster. I'm going to try to take this over to the Surfguitar101 forums, thanks. If you guys have advice, keep it coming.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Yeah, I'm going to a local music store next weekend to try out 3 Strats and 1 Jazzmaster. I'm going to try to take this over to the Surfguitar101 forums, thanks. If you guys have advice, keep it coming.

if you want surf tone, and don't mind shortscale guitars try out a jag and mustang...great for surf.
generally, amp matters most. you'll notice the most improvement, with a new amp over a guitar, extreme cases where the guitar isnt holding a tune, aside.

even if you had spent $500 on a new guitar, playing it thru a bass amp wouldnt have changed a thing tone-wise.

anyway. mini guitar's usually have intonation problems, add the weak pups and you've got room for improvement, like said.

so save up and you'll be fine soon enough.
dont forget used guitars. lots of great deals out there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011