Im sure many have asked this question before, but im just curious to see your opinion on what skill level i am at guitar playing,
Songs that i can play clean from start to finish = Suffocating under words of sorrow , unholy confessions , like light to flies (except solo) , laid to rest , the hell song

it would be really appreciated
Thanks
Quote by sythes123
Im sure many have asked this question before, but im just curious to see your opinion on what skill level i am at guitar playing,
Songs that i can play clean from start to finish = Suffocating under words of sorrow , unholy confessions , like light to flies (except solo) , laid to rest , the hell song

Thanks

you're average. those songs are all pretty easy.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
nope, i cannot shred yet, but the thing is i play all the above songs with downpicking so im not 100% good at alternate picking yet
you can't say how good is a person by the song he covers but the ones he write, also you can play a song without any feelings, so the songs you play doesn't matter, what matter is the way you play it

StratoTele, does it matter if he can't sweep?, i mean playing fast doesn't mean playing well.

Another things is that being a good guitar player o a bad one is quite subjective so it's quite difficult to tell
I'd say your intermediate. You really need to work on alt. picking... it helps ALLOT. Also, if you can you should post some of your guitar playing, if you haven't already.
"Lord beer me strength."
Try other types of music too other than your basic metalcore stuff, that'll make you a MUCH better player than you could be from just playing metal songs.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by StratoTele
I don't know any of those songs. Can you sweep?

I hate it when people ask this question. I can sweep but it doesn't make me a good player. Paul Gilbert can barely sweep, does that make him bad? :P
Laid to Rest is sort of tricky, but I've only briefly looked at it...

I don't really know the rest of the songs, but maybe post them on your profile. That way we can hear for ourselves. And, work on alternate picking.
its to late to record anything now, but i'll maybe do it tommorow if i've got the time:P
and im going to work at my alternate picking alot now because i've encountered lots of songs i cant play because of my bad alternate picking
Quote by Zofar
I hate it when people ask this question. I can sweep but it doesn't make me a good player. Paul Gilbert can barely sweep, does that make him bad? :P

There's a rock fujiyama vid somewhere on youtube where he sweeps with his teeth, it's gr8.

But yes I agree here. Sweeping is just one technique and there are amny great guitar players who don't do it.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
There's a rock fujiyama vid somewhere on youtube where he sweeps with his teeth, it's gr8.

But yes I agree here. Sweeping is just one technique and there are amny great guitar players who don't do it.

I had a feeling someone was going to mention this. you do know that he pre-records it on the pedal, right?
Somewhere in between beginner and intermediate, I'm at about the same place you are although I can alternate pick most stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Athetosis
tl;dr

This isn't The Pit, moron. If you're going to post stupid shit, don't post at all.

On topic, I'd say you're fairly decent. I was learning to play those songs after about one year (albeit very sloppy), but then again I only play as a hobby.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Zofar
Paul Gilbert can barely sweep, does that make him bad?

Have you seen him sweep? He is excellent. Truly amazing. As mentioned, he's done it with his teeth, and with a pick, and as always, it is perfectly clean and the intervals are huge.

He just prefers to string skip because he has hands with the span of small children.
I've only been playing for like 7-8 months, so do you think im good based on how long i've been playing?
Quote by Zofar

I had a feeling someone was going to mention this. you do know that he pre-records it on the pedal, right?

oops lol
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by sythes123

Thanks

There are no "levels"

Listing a couple of songs you can play means nothing as we have no idea how well you can play them.
Basically this thread is meaningless, if you want criticism then post a video or recording in the riffs and recordings section.

*reported* - you're not going to get the answers you want because they don't exist. Stop worrying about how "good" you are and concentrate on playing because you enjoy it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by ljohn
Have you seen him sweep? He is excellent. Truly amazing. As mentioned, he's done it with his teeth, and with a pick, and as always, it is perfectly clean and the intervals are huge.

He just prefers to string skip because he has hands with the span of small children.

Thats not the point. Its not because you can sweep that you are a good player. THAT is the point.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by steven seagull
There are no "levels"

Listing a couple of songs you can play means nothing as we have no idea how well you can play them.
Basically this thread is meaningless, if you want criticism then post a video or recording in the riffs and recordings section.

*reported* - you're not going to get the answers you want because they don't exist. Stop worrying about how "good" you are and concentrate on playing because you enjoy it.

Amen.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)