Its so you can put effects after the preamp (where most of the tone controls and gain stages are) and before the poweramp. The fx out is basically coming straight from the preamp and the fx in or return is basically straight to the poweramp. It's good for effects like delay, phase, or any other modulation effects that you don't want affected by the amps distortion. EQs usually have a much greater effect when they're in the fx loop of an amp.

Generally, distortion boxes, overdrives and wahs work best in front of the amp.

BTW it's a 1/4" cable.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Depends on what kind of pedal you're using. For example if you have a reverb pedal and you're using distortion you would want it in the effects loop.

Putting it guitar --> reverb pedal --> amp would distort the reverb and it would sound horrible. Putting the pedal in the effects loop prevents that.
Quote by rcw110131
Depends on what kind of pedal you're using. For example if you have a reverb pedal and you're using distortion you would want it in the effects loop.

Putting it guitar --> reverb pedal --> amp would distort the reverb and it would sound horrible. Putting the pedal in the effects loop prevents that.

Exactly. If you put the reverb into the amp, the reverb gets distorted (generally does not sound good) if you put it in the loop, the distortion gets reverberated.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Exactly. If you put the reverb into the amp, the reverb gets distorted (generally does not sound good) if you put it in the loop, the distortion gets reverberated.

so flange, chorus, delay, phaser, and all those pedals go in the effects loop?

but dist / od / fuzz go in the front?
Generally, but it does come down to preference. I never liked phasers in the loop, I much preferred running my phase 90 in front of the amp. Compressors work better in fron the amp as well if I'm not mistaken.