ive been playing my brothers cheap ibanez bass for a while, and really find it much more fun than guitar. i play a lot of rhcp, and quite a bit of heavier rock and metal too.. what would be a good bass that could handle heavy stuff well, but is also good for cleaner slap and pop and chili peppers stuff? i can spend about $450 on a bass. i love the fenders a lot, i love how the jazz bass looks, but would it be able to play metal? what are some other basses that are pretty versitile? and if there are some that are ok at metal, but great at chili peppers stuff that would be great. also, what would be a good amp to get in a little while (birthday present) after i get the bass? btw, the bass would be a christmas present from my gf, she told me she would get me one, since ive already gotten her presents early (jewelry) and we are going to play together (she sings) and we have friends to start a band with
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Squier Vintage Modified 70's J-Bass.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Fender MIM Jazz bass. Can handle anything. I'm going to pick my new one up sometime in the week, and I can't wait!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by guylee
if you like the fenders i would go for that.

but starting a band with your gf might not be a great idea

its not a serious band, just one to mess around with and play songs. not gig or anything, just for fun. and will the jazz have enough uumph for metal?
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
Jazzes can play metal, your best plan is to get the MIM Jazz, if that's too much a Squier VM Jazz is also good.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Go for an Ibanez, incredibly versatile. Do NOT start a band with your girlfriend.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Ibanez SR series...yea, I said it.

Tbh, I find the playability on most fenders so so. At least compared to the ultra thin and fast necks of Ibanez's
SRX or Jazz. both would fit well.

and just for jamming, why not?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
if you want versatility get a p/j or a fender jag, both of those are extremely versatile and can cover basically anything
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
Quote by MiniMoose22031
its not a serious band, just one to mess around with and play songs. not gig or anything, just for fun. and will the jazz have enough uumph for metal?

Steve harris uses a P bass and that works well for him, not too sure about how similar they are though as i hate the fenders ;D
Quote by corrda00
Esp or a Ibenez, there pretty versitile. Id say a jazz to if u want to do some RHCP.

Flea used a P Bass for a while, but never a jazz. I may be mistaken.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Metal5115
Steve harris uses a P bass and that works well for him, not too sure about how similar they are though as i hate the fenders ;D

How can you hate fendes if you don't even know what they are like?

Quote by Cody_Grey102
Flea used a P Bass for a while, but never a jazz. I may be mistaken.

You are mistaken
He used a Jazz for quite a while.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman

People think it's "hip" to hate Fenders...
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
ok, im pretty much set on getting a jazz, but what would be a good amp to get later on that i could gig with when i start a band with a few friends, but doesnt cost a fortune?
Quote by TooFast

Add Me on myspace
Acoustic B200.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've heard good things about Ashdown. They're pretty cheap and have good reputations.

I also support the MIM J Bass, I'm getting one now that I've played one.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by shinhoman

x

I mean i hate the look of them, they are great to play. but i really dont like the look of them. but i dont know much about them.

Quote by Jonn0
People think it's "hip" to hate Fenders...

heh i have never heard that before, i just dont like the look of them.
mid to higher end Ibanez SR series and an Ashdown. The SR series are great for rock and metal and are very, very versatile. A Fender Jazz would work as well, but your requirements just screamed Ibanez SR to me.

On the other topic. Yes--bands with significant others can be tricky, because there is that underlying relationship beyond the music. You are going to tend to make comments that will be taken beyond the usual criticism and into the area of emotional barbs. There will be fights, drama, storming out in frustration! And messy breakups and tell all books. One of you will have a torrid affair with some two bit B movie actor. And it will all end in some cold dark LA courtroom with the band assets being split up by a bunch of lawyers and a judge who wants to be the star of Court TV.

Did I mention I'm in a band with my husband? Jamming together can be a really fun way to spend time as a couple. You are going to find you play differently with your girlfriend because you connect differently as people than as opposed to another musician. The guitarist who I play with in the jazz band loves playing with my husband and I, because he said the dynamics when we play are so different and fun, and we have a sixth sense of what the other person is going to do musically.