Alright, I'm starting my first build. It's gonna be a Minarik Goddess-shape, but flat-top and solid body.

Pic of a Goddess http://www.minarikguitars.com/images/products/goddess.ob.righty.zoom.jpg
http://www.guitarplayer.com/pop-up.aspx?content_id=41372
http://www.guitarplayer.com/pop-up.aspx?content_id=41376

Specs:
Ash Body
Birdseye Maple cap (Proof that my grandpa kicks ASS!!!)
Bolt-on neck (maple/rosewood off eBay) IN!!! pics soon
GFS Mean 90 (P-90s in Humbucker casing) - Gold finish
Kahler 7300 Hybrid Tremolo - Gold finish
SG Wiring Kit
Wine Red finish
Either Wilkinson EZ-LOK or Grover locking tuners (advice welcome!!!) - Gold

Finish will be almost the same as the Epiphone P93 Riviera, except a little lighter to show off the birdseye
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Oct 29, 2008,
Dude... Poplar body? Seriously?

Do a little research, find out what some common tonewoods are, and what would suit your style best. Also, plan on investing some more money into it if you want it to be even playable, don't settle on cheaper stuff because it's cheaper. If you're younger, start working on it, take it mega slow, ask for money for christmas. Make it a nice, long project, that way you'll spend more attention to detail, and it'll be that much more rewarding,
uh.... don't make it out of poplar. grab some mahogany or something. and don't go to a hardware store for it, go to a wood supplier.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
I dont get it... Why is everyone so against poplar?? Is everyone actually saying poplar is a bad wood or are you all just saying it because the first guy said it? Poplar happens to be a pretty good wood for guitar building...
Poplar is a good wood. Do some research, you guys....

Plus, as long as it is structurally sound, it doesn't matter what kind of wood it is anyway. God you guys are so against this wood, have you ever heard a guitar made of it? I have, it sounds fine.

Take it from me and carousel, poplar is a perfectly OK wood to make a guitar with.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, it looks like a really cool shape.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by carousel182
I dont get it... Why is everyone so against poplar?? Is everyone actually saying poplar is a bad wood or are you all just saying it because the first guy said it? Poplar happens to be a pretty good wood for guitar building...

I have asked around on here, i've asked a couple builder friends and asked on some other sites and poplar is similar in tone to Alder, which i like, and is an easy wood to work with. The only problem is that the grain is ugly, so I'm either doing a veneer top or a Solid-color finish

Plus, I trust Otter's opinion. He seems to know what he's doing.

Great idea. I'm all in favour of figured tops, with a see through stain they can be absolutely breathtaking.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
You should do 1 and 1/4th inch poplar with a 1/2 inch figured top that's what I did for my carved top strats.
OK, the figured top w/ see-through finish sounds better than my original idea of Solid Black w/ Gold hardware. How do I go about doing a See-through finish?

You can choose to do either stain or dye, and then clear coat it, or you can use a tinted clear lacquer.

I do not have experience with any of these things, nor do I know the differences in application and final appearance.

Here is a tutorial from stewmac

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/instrument/Electric_guitar/Finishing/a-blueguitar.html

Also on stew mac, you can find tinted lacquers.

Ippon knows a lot about painting, I don't know if he can help you with stains and dyes though. I would talk to Ormsby about this, because he really knows what he's doing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Anyone have any good tutorials on wiring? I checked project-guitar, but it just confused me more...

no double post!....

uh...soldering iron. diagrams come with GFS pups...practice on somthing else first.

looks like a pretty good build so far, and poplar is fine for building a guitar especially a first build (im assuming this is ur first)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
yes it is my first build and i cleaned my double post. i meant to ask if there is a good tutorial on wiring that i could read to give me some concept of wiring and soldering. project-guitar just confused me

uhhhh....okay, look up some diagrams, and google "soldering tutorial"....thats the best i can do, sorry
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
seymourduncan.com has wiring diagrams.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Alright, I have the opportunity to pick up a PRS humbucker pickup for the extra neck i got off ebay. Would a Humbucker bridge and P-90 Neck combo sound good? Also, how good are PRS pup's? It's coming off a Tremonti SE if that matters.

Quote by bv310
Anyone tried one of these bridges?
http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&G=1&sku=0198&ITEM=catalog/sku.html&CURRENCY=CAD
Is it for a string through body, or is it like a stopbar?

"Schaller Bridge/Tailpiece
A solidbody guitar bridge with attached tailpiece. The assembly has height-adjustable threaded mounting studs and anchor bushings. Saddles are individually adjustable for intonation."

There you go! Good luck on the build.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
I suppose you could make it string thru body.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by bv310
Alright, I have the opportunity to pick up a PRS humbucker pickup for the extra neck i got off ebay. Would a Humbucker bridge and P-90 Neck combo sound good? Also, how good are PRS pup's? It's coming off a Tremonti SE if that matters.

i thinks it is stopbar but you can do your own string through if you want
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I used that bridge on my guitar I built, its in my signature. It's a really adjustable bridge, and the tailpiece of the bridge, that holds the strings, is removable. I am sure you could devise some way to use it as a string through. You could just pull the strings through the tailpiece then down through the body, it would work.
okay, I wasn't saying i wanted to do a string-through, i actually hate them. I was really looking for a wraparound bridge and wanted an opinion on that one. what about the PRS humbucker? is it good?

what is a GOOD one then? I'm just trying to collect everything until i get my wood this weekend.

alright. Neck is IN! Body wood comes on Sunday. Work starts Monday!! Any advice on tuners? (see edited OP)

Took me a while, but pics!!!

very nicee

also, check PM's
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.