Hi guys,
This may sound like any other tone thread but this is my last resort.
I really want my own tone but the guys at the music centre aren't much of a help.

I play in a post-hardcore/metalcore band and own an Engl Sovereign 100w tube amp.
My axe is a Gibson Les Paul studio w/ Emg 81/85.

My problem is that I can't get the clear distortion out of it when I rehearse with my band, I always have a problem cutting through when wanting to have a full sound.

My settings are as follows
Bass: 9 o clock
Mid: 1 o clock
Treble: 12 o clock
Presence: 12 o clock
Hi Gain: 10 o clock

I play with 10-56 DR's.
I tried several string brands and gauges and this one sounds closest to the sound I want.
I only cut through when my sound is really trebly and ugly, also as the whole band sound.

Also I replace my EMG battery every month and I think I want to replace my tubes.

Does anyone have a suggestion to keep a clear smooth distortion and cutting through in a band environment? Or any advice what so ever.

Regards,
Roy
Boost the mids on the amp and maybe buy an eq pedal to boost the mids if that's not enough.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ever try running the emgs at 18 volts ?

and definitely boost those mids, big time.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
boost the mids, and the bass

EDIT: try putting your mids at 3 o clock, and your bass at 3 o clock as well, see if that helps
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
When I have more mids it sounds boxy and the singer can't get over it in the mix .
And won't more bass make it even muddier?
Like everyones saying, try moving your mids up one at a time until you get a little clarity, maybe turn down the presence a tad. Another method you can do is turn everything to zero and then gradually raise things until you get the tone you want and tweak things when you notice there's too much of it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Like everyones saying, try moving your mids up one at a time until you get a little clarity, maybe turn down the presence a tad. Another method you can do is turn everything to zero and then gradually raise things until you get the tone you want and tweak things when you notice there's too much of it.

it's better to put everything at 12 o clock and tweak from there
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
it's better to put everything at 12 o clock and tweak from there

Tried that, that only confuses me by not knowing what to cut or boost per direct.
Quote by mikeyElite
ever try running the emgs at 18 volts ?

and definitely boost those mids, big time.

What does that exactly do with the sound?
i play oin a deathcore band, and had this problem to.
what i did is but my bass at 8, mids at2-3, highs at 5-6 and presence all the way up or close to it, then resonance about 5-7.

helped me alot, and i doesnt sound boxy at all, or muddy, while still having the badass tone i love
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by doctorcheeze200
i play oin a deathcore band, and had this problem to.
what i did is but my bass at 8, mids at2-3, highs at 5-6 and presence all the way up or close to it, then resonance about 5-7.

helped me alot, and i doesnt sound boxy at all, or muddy, while still having the badass tone i love

Is that in O'clocks or points?

EDIT: Gonna try some tips next rehearsal, will post about results .
Btw, does the bassist get in my range by boosting his high mid?
Last edited by RoyNOHEROES at Oct 5, 2008,
He might be close but the normal bass frequency should still be low enough that it won't really interfere. Even if it does, you should both have two separate sounds so it shouldn't be a problem unless he really ups his gain and uses his eq to make it sound more like a guitar than a bass.
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
well im gonna be different and say try lowering the mids a little. you said it gets boxy when the mids are up. if you already have them at 1:00, you already have a high mid setting.

heres what id do:

set everything at 5. move the bass until you get it how you want. i usually try to get a good balance of bass. i like it high, but not so high that it gets muddy. then on the treble turn it to 0. the bright ugliness will be gone. then slowly turn it up til you get it how you want. then mess with the mids until you get it the way you like.

and once again, why is everyone always saying "more mids!" adding mids isnt always the answer. especially when he already has the mid set pretty high
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well im gonna be different and say try lowering the mids a little. you said it gets boxy when the mids are up. if you already have them at 1:00, you already have a high mid setting.

heres what id do:

set everything at 5. move the bass until you get it how you want. i usually try to get a good balance of bass. i like it high, but not so high that it gets muddy. then on the treble turn it to 0. the bright ugliness will be gone. then slowly turn it up til you get it how you want. then mess with the mids until you get it the way you like.

and once again, why is everyone always saying "more mids!" adding mids isnt always the answer. especially when he already has the mid set pretty high

Nice answer!
Does the gain play any part in cutting through?
Woops, i thought you have your mids at one as in like one notch, nevermind what i said before, put them down low, what ibanezguitars44 said.
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
for gain if it gets too high it can get muddy. i always dial it in a little high then cut it back
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣