im new to homebrewing and i was going to give it shot since mead is scarce around here. i just need to know a random question haha. during the fermentation process the CO2 that the yeast gives off, does this smell in any way? and how strong does it smell?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
My uncle brews mead in his house, but I haven't smelled anything come from the basement. I imagine it would smell, though.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
My uncle brews mead in his house, but I haven't smelled anything come from the basement. I imagine it would smell, though.

but have you smelled anything in the basement? id imagine it would smell too, and i need to keep it on the d/l
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
it's not really that strong, I used to use a bubbler, try using a blow off tube in a glass of water, it really shouldn't smell that strong, brewing beer from scratch though, can stink up your house pretty good, but smells awesome mmmm!!!
Quote by Linqua5150
but have you smelled anything in the basement? id imagine it would smell too, and i need to keep it on the d/l

I've never been in his basement That's why I only went as far as what smell came from the basement.
CO2? No, the CO2 won't smell at all. It's an odorless compound. There are probably a few aromatic compounds that come out of the brewing though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a smell. Given that you're talking about mead, I'd guess a pretty potent one too.
Quote by flyfshr
it's not really that strong, I used to use a bubbler, try using a blow off tube in a glass of water, it really shouldn't smell that strong, brewing beer from scratch though, can stink up your house pretty good, but smells awesome mmmm!!!

yea i was going to make a makeshift one from like aquarium tubes or something.

well given that it probably will smell, does anyone have a way to cover it up real good? what about like fabreeze or air fresheners or something? maybe if i hang an airfreshener and someone smells it still, through the freshener, i can just blame it on the freshener and they wont think its the actual mead.

the reason im asking is because ive kind of wanted to try some mead, but no one sells it around here or anything, and i couldnt get it anyway because im underage. and im not some teen whos just trying to get drunk or something(if i was id just take beer out of the damn fridge in my garage lol) ive never really even drank anything aside from a half a glass of wine at christmas or something. i also thought itd be cool to drink some on my birthday(dec 31st) just for kicks. if i make a small batch it should only take a few months to mature, granted it wouldnt be fully mature but you could still drink it. i was figuring on making two batches, one for my birthday, and one to save for longer so it matures more.

stormthecastle.com
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?