I've got a minor and c major down like the back of my hand. My teacher taught me those two.

I mainly play metal with occasional hard rock. Metalcore of some sorts I guess.

Just one thing I ask is to either cut and paste the tabs here or to link me to them because I now realize there are different positions for these scales and it's kind of confusing.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Well as you know the C Major and Minor scales, you can keep that "shape" and apply it anywhere on the neck. For example, play that same shape beginning at the 12th fret E string and it would be the Eminor or EMajor scale.

But one of the most commonly used is the Pentatonic. This would be an A Pentatonic "shape" (that's just what I call it). It too can be used anywhere on the neck for different keys

[A] Pentatonic

e--------------------------------5--8---
B--------------------------5--8---------
G--------------------5--7---------------
D--------------5--7---------------------
A--------5--7---------------------------
E---5--8--------------------------------
Same scale at 12th fret, becomes the [E] Pentatonic scale

e----------------------------------------12--15---
B--------------------------------12--15-----------
G------------------------12--14-------------------
D----------------12--14---------------------------
A--------12--14-----------------------------------
E-12--15------------------------------------------

If you just memorise that shape it becomes a lot easier to use. A good tip is to draw the fretboard and circle the notes played in the scales.

Hope this helps, I'm not the greatest guy for explaining. It made sense in my head lol
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Oct 5, 2008,
If you've got A minor and C major, you've got all the major and minor scales. Just slide the pattern up or down to place it in a different key.

Also, modes. Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian. You already have Ionian and Aeolian, they're major and minor, respectively.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Thnx but I need recommendations.

That is useful tho.

E Minor Natural, E Harmonic Minor, and E Diminished.

I went through a Malmsteen phase. >_>
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by cokeisbetter
If you've got A minor and C major, you've got all the major and minor scales. Just slide the pattern up or down to place it in a different key.

Also, modes. Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian. You already have Ionian and Aeolian, they're major and minor, respectively.

I play a lot of Trivium.

Any word on what scales and modes they mainly use?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
scales are great and all...but learning timing is what will set u apart from all the other clones.

use root,..third..fith..then vary your timing..4;4...6;4....8;8,..etc.

then go back and forth and mix them up in no particular order..

hendrix was a master at this,...it gives your playing depth..and u can play the simplest of things (3 & 4 notes) but it sounds like the proverbial "wall of sound"

learn some blues scales and use the "blue-note" as your pivot from one timing sequence to the other.

have fun!!..and as always..wash up when ur through!!
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I've got a minor and c major down like the back of my hand. My teacher taught me those two.

I mainly play metal with occasional hard rock. Metalcore of some sorts I guess.

Just one thing I ask is to either cut and paste the tabs here or to link me to them because I now realize there are different positions for these scales and it's kind of confusing.

Not yet you haven't - a scale isn't just a single pattern, they cover the whole fretboard...and as I explained in your other thread the patterns for those two scales are exactly the same. All you've learned is a small part of the fingering pattern for those two scales which doesn't actually amount to much of anything in the greater scheme of things.

Don't learn any more scale patterns until you've learned the notes on the fretboard and also what a scale actually, otherwise you're just filling your head with useless knowledge that you won't be able to apply....read the crusade articles like I suggested.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Scales are a series of set intervals of differing sizes. 1 fret = one half tone. Learn the intervals in each scale and learn how to apply those to the fretboard and bam, you can play any scale anywhere. Also, learn what notes are where on the fretboard by note, especially the low E string, so you know where to start a scale.

Learn your pentatonic shapes as well. That'll let you solo to pretty much anything.

And harmonic minor is great.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I play a lot of Trivium.

Any word on what scales and modes they mainly use?

I've noticed that the intro solo to Anthem [We Are The Fire] is an Am Pentatonic. Don't know much more, I'm not too good at Trivium solos lol
Oh, a good tip is also to learn a scale in as many different positions as possible. Once you've got that down, you'll be able to cover almost the whole fretboard using just one scale in one continuous lick.