im starting to give my friend lessons finally, it took me like a year to get him to want to do it

but any way, so now im wondering, should i focus on one thing till hes good with it? like just focus on power cords for a bit then move onto basic cords when hes good with that

or should i mix it up a bit like 10 mins power cords, 15 mins cords, muting and stuff and all that good stuff too?

so.. which is better, step by step or mix it up and he gets introduced to everything at once kinda

btw, he has no experience at all so i just showed him how to tune today, the intro to teen spirit and the finger picking part of nothing else matters
well ask him what music he lieks and teach him some of his music thats easy to elarn, afetr you teach him basics. But i'd go for mixing it up, just make sure he focuses on geting the techniques right and transitions well.
Focus on simple melodies that'll build up his finger strength first. Then move to power CHORDS, and show him how to move them around. While you're doing this, make sure he knows the notes that correspond to each fret. If he can build a working knowledge of note names early, it'll be super easy when he gets more advanced. Then go to the simple open CHORDS- E shapes, A shapes, G shapes, C shapes, and D shapes. If he can play the major, minor, maj7th, 7th, minor 7th, and suspended versions of each, he'll be ready to move on to bar chords. Mix a generous dose of theory in at each lesson, so that it won't be super confusing when you get to more complex things. Scales are easy and good to learn early.
Quote by Necrotic
well ask him what music he lieks and teach him some of his music thats easy to elarn, afetr you teach him basics. But i'd go for mixing it up, just make sure he focuses on geting the techniques right and transitions well.

he likes stuff liek disturbed, bls, COB, etc,
but ya thats what i was worried about its so hard trying to explain to him how to hold the pick and he like almost exploded when i tried to explain anchoring and muting

but thanks man
why did you persuade him into something he didn't really want to do?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by cokeisbetter
Focus on simple melodies that'll build up his finger strength first. Then move to power CHORDS, and show him how to move them around. While you're doing this, make sure he knows the notes that correspond to each fret. If he can build a working knowledge of note names early, it'll be super easy when he gets more advanced. Then go to the simple open CHORDS- E shapes, A shapes, G shapes, C shapes, and D shapes. If he can play the major, minor, maj7th, 7th, minor 7th, and suspended versions of each, he'll be ready to move on to bar chords. Mix a generous dose of theory in at each lesson, so that it won't be super confusing when you get to more complex things. Scales are easy and good to learn early.

cool thanks pete, can you give me an example of a melody you would use>?
i was thinking something along the lines of knocking on heavens door but that might be too hard for him
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
why did you persuade him into something he didn't really want to do?

no he does now, hes actually really excited to learn he liek ran to my house with the guitar liek a little girl, im not making him do anything
If your forcing him to do it, then you shouldn't make him play. But seeing as that's none of my business, what I would do is for the first lesson give him an intro to all those things and see where his strengths and weaknesses lie. Assuming your lesson time is 1/2 hour, spend 5 minutes brushing up on his strengths and and spend the most of the rest of the time working on the weaknesses.

Throw in some theory as well. Don't put the focus exclusively on theory or he'll probably get bored but give him a foundation to develop it further. If you can, try taking what you have taught him and apply that to songs he likes, especially the theory part of it. It'll make it a lot more interesting and relevant to him.
I would just work on powerchords for now, easy riffs he'll recognize and so he can see improvement right away.

After hes getting more comfortable pushing down the strings, and holding a guitar, work on full chords.
Quote by Necrotic

+1.

Don't force too much theory on him or anything like that too early, set him up with some chords and a few simple riffs from his favourite songs, I think he'd enjoy that more when he's just starting.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by sbikram
are you getting paid??

no hes a friend, im not an asshole
and ive only been playing about 1 1/3 years and ive never taken lessons so im not really good enough to be payed i think
Teach stuff that will make them excited to play. Most people dont want to learn Mary Had A Little Lamb and Yankee Doodle (but if those are their favorite songs, by all means teach it to them). If you've taught him open chords, then teach him and AC/DC rhythm guitar part
(if they like AC/DC). Teach him something that will excite him-there's no better feeling as a begginer than going-'hey, I can play my favorite song!'. I still remember learning Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day when I was 9 years old...I thought I was a guitar god!
^How old are you now?

Yeah, teach him the techniques required for Disturbed songs or whatever.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Teach stuff that will make them excited to play. Most people dont want to learn Mary Had A Little Lamb and Yankee Doodle (but if those are their favorite songs, by all means teach it to them). If you've taught him open chords, then teach him and AC/DC rhythm guitar part
(if they like AC/DC). Teach him something that will excite him-there's no better feeling as a begginer than going-'hey, I can play my favorite song!'. I still remember learning Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day when I was 9 years old...I thought I was a guitar god!

haha ya i know what you mean, he keeps switching between teen spirit and war pigs but he hold the guitar so wierd.. its like

wow
i have to fix that first
Quote by yM.Samurai
^How old are you now?

16, my bdays in 2 weeks
Quote by yM.Samurai
^How old are you now?

Me? I'm 13 (whilst I was 9 back then, I was turning 10).
I'm pretty shit seeing as how this is my 4th year playing, but I've only been playing a year seriously-I only discovered shred and metal and 'technical' music this year. The rest of the time I was just jamming with Blink 182 and Green Day lol