I own a Marshall JCM 800 head and Mesa Boogie 2x12 cab.

I don't think I need a half-stack that much. So I was thinking of selling it and buying a Marshall JCM 800 combo (my dad owned one like a year ago, I liked it.) Besides, it's a pain in the ass moving the half-stack around to places where my band practices.

I've just got a few questions:

1. Anyone ever tried the Head compared to the Combo?
2. Would the Combo be able to stand up to a 50 watt head + 2x12 cab? (other guitarist)
3. Would I get better gain? (since the volume would be higher competing with the head)
4. Would it be ALOT easier to move around?

I play mostly Hard Rock and 80s metal so I think I'm set on keeping a Marshall JCM somewhere, thanks for reading/posting if you do!
a head and a combo are going to have the same amount of power. like if a head is 120 watts, and the combo is 120 watts, they are going to be the same...

you just have more options with the head.

but, i would personally get the combo...easier to haul around, still same amount of power...

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
id stay with the stack. in some cases a stack is easier to carry because of the 2 separate pieces. but if you like the sound and its easier to carry, id say go for it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
id stay with the stack. in some cases a stack is easier to carry because of the 2 separate pieces. but if you like the sound and its easier to carry, id say go for it.

Well the thing about there being 2 pieces is that it takes up alot of space in a vehicle, and I usually have to pick up my other guitarist and his gear as well so that's always something.
a combo isnt that much easier to carry around, and i like thesound of a 4x12 better anyways
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ