Ive started learning Guitar since April and have been having 2 hour weekly sessions (aswell as daily practise.) I own a Strat and I know simple chords like A, E, D, G and so on but I was wondering how can I make these chords sound like heavy metal.
The style im wanting to play is something like you'd hear a soundcrew as there setting up the Guitar for a show as there tuning the Guitar, a good example is something like the intro to "Before I forget" by Slipknot, only a more heavier sound.
Can anyone help?
and possibly not use a stratocaster?
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Just simply powerchords. I'm sure you've learned some Sabbath, as a good 90% of guitar players have, so you've seen them.
get an MG

....just kidding please dont hurt me
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
and possibly not use a stratocaster?

slovak is in your username and you told him not to use a strat?
hillel slovak did some very badass chords on strats , my dad was friends with him and hillel is burried at the same cemetary as my grandfather (mount sanai memorial center)
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
use drop tunning like drop A but if thats to low for ya go with just a half step below standard tunning that what i use a lot, use a lot of high distortion, use power chords and play fast, use slides and hammer on's and pull off's and as a lot of famous musicians use just go with something basic it sounds heavy o yeah use palm muting. hopefully it works
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Learning minor chords instead of major give you a darker sound you're probbly going for aswell
Minor chords are going to be good for acoustic sections (Opeth), but full minor chords are going to sound muddy and bad when heavily distorted.

A lot of heavy metal is based on powerchords, *diads, and single notes with the low E string as a pedal tone you "chug."

*A powerchord is a type of diad, but I list it separately because it is a) incredibly common and b) the other diads used are generally thirds.
Quote by HighPotency
Hey you used heavy metal and slipknot in the same-- *world implodes*

Haha! Slipknot is so not metal!
Thanks guys, already googled Power Chords and just done a few examples, its a shame that ive had this strat since April this year and ive not been practising as much as I should have been lol. I basically started off with TABs thinking theyd be easier, but Chords are way much simpler to use..but its like I said before all I really learnt is rock n roll/blues kind of chords and not really anything to make the neighbours complain about lol.
Quote by Crimson Ghost
slovak is in your username and you told him not to use a strat?
hillel slovak did some very badass chords on strats , my dad was friends with him and hillel is burried at the same cemetary as my grandfather (mount sanai memorial center)

first off I dont even know who Hillel Slovak is......

nor does it matter if your father knew him...or where he is buried...

Slovak_Ghost refers to my heritage which OHHHH SHIT is Czechoslovakian

most strats use single coils....

humbuckers are better for metal
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

Hillel Slovak was the original guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'd say it would be pretty cool if my father knew Hillel Slovak, or any other famous guitarist, for that matter... wouldn't you?

Single coils can be used for metal; i.e. a Seymour Duncan SHR-1, but I agree with you here.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ignore everyone who has said to leave standard tuning. Well, don't ignore them, but it's hardly necessary to sound heavy; it's your call.

Even if you plan on performing and recording on a downtuned guitar, write on a standard tuned acoustic. If you can get it to sound like hell (in the positive sense!) on a standard tuned acoustic guitar, imagine how heavy it will sound on a D or C-standard tuned guitar through a Mesa amp.
Quote by Raijouta
Hillel Slovak was the original guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'd say it would be pretty cool if my father knew Hillel Slovak, or any other famous guitarist, for that matter... wouldn't you?

Single coils can be used for metal; i.e. a Seymour Duncan SHR-1, but I agree with you here.

thanks, also, slovak ghost seems to refer to the ghost of hillel slovak, so my assumption wasnt really off
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Try playing a "D" power chord at the 5th fret of the A string. Now add the "A" on the Low E string. Just bar the E A and D strings at the 5th fret with your index finger and then put your ring finger on the 7th fret of the D string.
You should now have a "D" power chord(root + 5th) with a low 5th added.

This can add a heavier, fuller sound to power chords, and can be moved around easily.
I'm really not that familiar with Slipknot chords or whatever, so sorry if this doesn't apply here.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

we've got a czech roommate and when we want to piss her off we call her czechoslovakian
Quote by seljer
we've got a czech roommate and when we want to piss her off we call her czechoslovakian
czechs=/=slovaks srsly. They were only put in the same country for economic reasons. The second the wall came down they split. I'd imagine czechs would look more german and slovaks to look more like a
southern slav. In the end they're all slavs though, but call a nationalistic russian the same thing as an albanian or a macedonian or a pole and your asking for your nuts to be cut of.

To T/S
Distortion+powerchords (which arent actually chords)="metal chords." I have heard full bar chords being used with light distortion in ska or something, but thats not what your looking for.

Any pickup can be used for metal, but only if you have the right amp. Its probably best to have a humbucker or one of those hot single-coils (SD hot rails?).

The way slipknot gets that sound at the start of before I forget is the lead guitarist hits a powerchord with his right hand (drop tuning) and slowly increases the volume on his guitar. Is that what you wanted?
Quote by demonofthenight
czechs=/=slovaks srsly. They were only put in the same country for economic reasons. The second the wall came down they split. I'd imagine czechs would look more german and slovaks to look more like a
southern slav. In the end they're all slavs though, but call a nationalistic russian the same thing as an albanian or a macedonian or a pole and your asking for your nuts to be cut of.

I'm well aware of the situation

sometimes people have no idea where I'm from until I say Yugoslavia
Quote by seljer
I'm well aware of the situation

sometimes people have no idea where I'm from until I say Yugoslavia
Really? Serbian, croatian, macedonian, albanian or slovenian? I think my family is distantly related to albanians or croatians. My mother's a sicillian so she could be decendant from anything from the moors to vikings.

lol, I didnt think yugoslavia existed anymore, isnt it serbian, montenegro and kosovo now?
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

No most strats have 2 singles and 1 double coil in the bridge which is fine for metal. Nobody cares about your personal guitar preferance. Since the TS is just learning i think his strat is more than adequate and he should spend time practicing not buying a new guitar.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
No most strats have 2 singles and 1 double coil in the bridge which is fine for metal. Nobody cares about your personal guitar preferance. Since the TS is just learning i think his strat is more than adequate and he should spend time practicing not buying a new guitar.

false. The norm for strats is 3 single coils.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115