Ok, well before I had an Ibanez SR500 at my disposal, but since my friend finally came and got it after 2 months of it being at my house, I now need another bass to get the job done on recordings.

It doesn't have to be the greatest bass, but I do want a 5 string to make it easier on myself once I get a 7 string guitar. Basically, I want something that sounds decent and isn't going to fall apart on me.

My budget is around $200, though I'd like to spend as little as possible, I'm most certainly willing to go used.

I will be using this through my Line 6 TonePort to record direct, I will not need to use it live.

So... what's the best I can get for my money?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
$200?
That's really not that much to work with...
search used 5 string bass on ebay.
maybe you'll get lucky.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Rogue is just about your only option.

Or a very crappy Dean.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
But the rogue and Dean are very very low quality.
If you have to get one I'd go with the rogue, but that's biased.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
You might be able to get a used SR205 (Ibanez) for that budget, but I think you are going to have to up your budget to get anything even used in a 5 string.
Rogues are great modding basses. I'm a decent guitar tech, and I've seen a few Rogues and put pickups in them for friends. They're ok stock, but they can be pretty decent basses with new pickups and electronics. Buy it, and you can upgrade it later.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
^ +1 if you can bump your budget up to $300-400 dollars, we can give you a lot of recommendations. As it stands, you could try getting an SX, I guess. The electronics are absolute crap, but the wood is good and you can upgrade as you acquire more money
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Squier affinity jazz.

ugh. ugh. used Gsr205?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
keep an eye on ebay man. A buddy of mine jus tpicked up a REALLY nice Cort 5 string for 140 shipped. I just got an Ibanez 4 string for 110 shipped, so there is deals to be had, just have to watch
Quote by kugelspot
^ +1 if you can bump your budget up to $300-400 dollars, we can give you a lot of recommendations. As it stands, you could try getting an SX, I guess. The electronics are absolute crap, but the wood is good and you can upgrade as you acquire more money

My first +1. This will be chronicaled.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
sorry to burst your bubble dude, but I was talking about anarkee's post about how he needs to raise his budget. Apparently, you posted while I was typing. Still, I'm +1ing your post anyway. I've heard some pretty good things about rogue. TS, if you get a rogue you should probably get an LX405
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Esp b-52 or B-55. Great basses.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Last edited by JesusLives at Oct 5, 2008,
Haha, well I would love to open up my budget further, but I really don't need anything that great and I have some extra cash now that I sold my EMGs out of another guitar, so I figure I'll pick something up.

Sound, honestly isn't the highest priority as long as the wood is at least decent, I just want something that isn't going to fall apart on me and doesn't have horrible action. I don't need anything spectacular by any means, just something to add a bit of bass in to tracks so the song doesn't sound so empty.

If I were to open up my budget, I already know what I'd be getting, but seeing as I just bought an Edwards Les Paul, I don't have that money to be throwing around anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd save up. all the basses we suggested would not be good if you had, say, 100 more bucks.

with that, you would have slightly more reliable options. or, you can settle for a 4 string and get a GSR200...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I'd save up. all the basses we suggested would not be good if you had, say, 100 more bucks.

with that, you would have slightly more reliable options. or, you can settle for a 4 string and get a GSR200...

If there's really something drastically better for $100 more, I'd have no problem spending that much. I have the money, it's just that I'd like to take as little as possible out of the bank
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If there's really something drastically better for $100 more, I'd have no problem spending that much. I have the money, it's just that I'd like to take as little as possible out of the bank

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR205-5-String-Bass-519525-i1150633.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-5-String-Bass-Guitar-104145156-i1146911.gc

both of those are reliable. and actually, less than 100 over, you may find them used if you run around pawn shops.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^I'll definitely look into them, friend of mine has the 4 String version of that Peavey, it's not bad.

I could get a Dean Edge 5 for $100 locally. Thoughts?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^I'll definitely look into them, friend of mine has the 4 String version of that Peavey, it's not bad.

I could get a Dean Edge 5 for $100 locally. Thoughts?

crap. I hate Dean. it should stay in one piece, but at the cost of playability and tone. it doesn't even look cool. I mean, come on. I'd suggest against that one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
crap. I hate Dean. it should stay in one piece, but at the cost of playability and tone. it doesn't even look cool. I mean, come on. I'd suggest against that one.

I hate Dean too... but it's cheap and it doesn't look like an ML, so it's already got two things going for it It also has EMG HZs in it, which I hate in guitar, but I'm guessing they'd be better than the stock pickups at least.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well EMG's sound ok... it will probably sound ok, as a result. make sure the neck is even, feels good, and that the bass isn't damaged. not all pawn shops are honest, the truss rod may be broken.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

The EMG HZs certainly aren't beginner pickups, but there are better ones out there. But spend some quality time playing it to make sure nothings wrong with it. If nothing else, you could probably sell the bass in a while for a profit.
Quote by the humanity
well EMG's sound ok... it will probably sound ok, as a result. make sure the neck is even, feels good, and that the bass isn't damaged. not all pawn shops are honest, the truss rod may be broken.

It's not at a pawn shop, it's a guy locally on CL

Quote by IndianRockStar
The EMG HZs certainly aren't beginner pickups, but there are better ones out there. But spend some quality time playing it to make sure nothings wrong with it. If nothing else, you could probably sell the bass in a while for a profit.

Yeah for sure. I really dug the Bartolinis in my friend's Ibanez and the active EQ, but I know that's going to be hard to find for cheap
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you're willing to go $100 over, go for the ESP LTD B-105. Remember, these are low end basses, so you're gonna want to be able to mod them eventually, so the pickups are a factor in these basses, unless you want to do some routing.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Dude im getting a Jack and danny soon I have no idea how it plays but im modding it. It cost me 150 with postage and is an aalder body maple neck rosewood fingerboard. I ll get back to you when it arrives. It's a jazz bass copy by the way.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Alright, offers I've gotten so far:

OLP MM3 - $175
OLP MM3 w/ HSC and Bartolini humbucker - $230
Dean Edge 5 w/ EMG HZs - $125
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Alright, offers I've gotten so far:

OLP MM3 - $175
OLP MM3 w/ HSC and Bartolini humbucker - $230
Dean Edge 5 w/ EMG HZs - $125

Go for the Dean. They're alright basses if you like a straigh forward kind of sound, and since it has EMG Hz's, you can mod it with new ones really easily, like EMG-DC's
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
If its just for a one off recording session, Id suggest renting a good 5 stringer for a day or too instead of buying a crappy one.
Quote by Waters?
If its just for a one off recording session, Id suggest renting a good 5 stringer for a day or too instead of buying a crappy one.

It's not for a recording session, it's for putting bass over my recordings that I make at home whenever I want to, so renting a bass is going to be much more expensive than just buying a cheap one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com