Page 1 of 4
FIRST ROUND- THE THEME IS A COVER OF CHOICE.
You may record any song, with or without music in the back ground. Send like to UG profile, myspace or youtube page by latest, Oct. 18th.

So I was thinking about this today. A guitar competition/tournament. Here's how it would work.
Different "divisions" for skill levels
"Faceoffs" would be a 1 on 1 competition, arranged in a tournament-tree style
You post your song on your profile, myspace or youtube.
"Disciplines" will be randomly selected for each "faceoff". Examples of disciplines would be: Classic rock covers, Modern Covers, Improv, Own songs, ect
People vote for you, voting would be open for a certain amount, Most likely 3 to 14 days, depending on the round.
More could be added

Anyone interested?

EDIT:
When you sign up (or if you're already signed up) state from 1-5 how reliable you are in terms of being able to send in music. 1 means that you're busy and there is a chance that you won't be able to submit your work, and 5 is that you'll send in your tracks for sure. This is so that i can put more reliable people with each other, so in the even that people drop out, it won't effect more reliable players.

EDIT 2: So the brackets have been made. Round 1 winner will play round 2 winner. Round 3 winner will play round 4 winner and so on.
I ask that all those signed up to please check in with the thread (post anything) to make sure you guys are still around.
Users can start posting, but the deadline will be exactly one week after the remaining two guitarists sign up.

EDIT: THE COMP IS OPEN. THE DEADLINE FOR FIRST ROUND SUBMISSION IS OCTOBER 18TH AT MIDNIGHT.

CLICK ON LINKS TO VIEW PIECES

SIGNED UP:
THE BRACKETS!
ROUND 1

MATCH 1
K!!lsWiTcH
RentACar (Users vote, so I don't have any advantage)

MATCH 2
bazzabalboa
Gonmestar

MATCH 3
Black-Metal
thrash232 -WINNER (By default

MATCH 4
TheArcadeFire
ClassAxe

MATCH 5
Davester000
Kai07

MATCH 6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Epiphany521

MATCH 7
Bumfluff-Punk
FreakShow99

MATCH 8
TimBFMV
guitarplaya322
Last edited by RentACar at Oct 20, 2008,
Or you could just post it on youtube and read the comments. no need for a tournament, unless there's money.
If anyone wants to "sign up", say so, I'l add names to the list in the opening post, and when sufficient people (16, 32, 64, ect) sign up, the brackets will be made, and the show will start.
Quote by o_hai_dere
I'm down for that

But it'd be better if we could cover any song regardless of genre

shows versatility in ur playing

sign me up
i can almost assure you it wont work out the bass form has done it 4 times and really never worked out you can check it out its called bass wars
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by o_hai_dere
I'm down for that

But it'd be better if we could cover any song regardless of genre

Can I sign you up?
or the contests in the contests forum?

people have cover contests and everything, and you can compete with original songs to try and get into the next UG album.
im gonna record using an eyetoy and audacity my sound quality is gonna be balls but itll be listenable just sign up
i was just listening to the basswars in the bass forum and it sounded awesome despite anybodies recording quality.
i'll sign up if its going ahead?
Yo, im definately up for that!!! Sounds awesome man, im glad its getting welcomed by so many other people aswell!!

btw, id be a very low level as ive only been playing for 2 years
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Sounds like a class idea, i would be in if i had a mic

I would fail badly at any blues/jazz stuff

metal i would be ok.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Thats an awesome idea, or if somehow we could make a community thing then we could all post our videos on the same site, then anyone that went on it could vote on it out of like 5 stars. Anyone think thats a good idea?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by TimBFMV
Thats an awesome idea, or if somehow we could make a community thing then we could all post our videos on the same site, then anyone that went on it could vote on it out of like 5 stars. Anyone think thats a good idea?

yeah, like a group with several threads (e.g. blues, pop, rock, metal, folk, country, jazz, classical) and then up to a certain number of people can enter into any genres (maybe 10 people to each maximum before its gets un-managable). people then vote for their favourite and the person who gets most votes is teh w1nn3r.
all teh w1nn3rs then enter into a seperate thrad where they are voted for and eventually you end up with an ultimate-winner?
Quote by Black-Metal
yeah, like a group with several threads (e.g. blues, pop, rock, metal, folk, country, jazz, classical) and then up to a certain number of people can enter into any genres (maybe 10 people to each maximum before its gets un-managable). people then vote for their favourite and the person who gets most votes is teh w1nn3r.
all teh w1nn3rs then enter into a seperate thrad where they are voted for and eventually you end up with an ultimate-winner?

Yeah thats a really good idea, maybe we should get some moderators though, so we can actually control it.

EDIT: Maybe we could have a moderator per thread, then experienced judges on a particular genre to decide. (if you get what i mean by all that)
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Last edited by TimBFMV at Oct 6, 2008,
I'm a new guy here at UG, but I would like to enter too. Seems like a good way to get to know people, and maybe learn some new techniques!

Plz check my profile and comment and rate my playing!!!

C-ya,
Chad
So RentACar needs to put me on that list up there xD I'm totally in =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
What happens when all the good people enter the beginner and pwn all the n00bs?

I'm sure it'd happen.
EDIT: I'M UPDATING THE LIST.
We have like nearly ten people, I'l wait till we have 16 or possibly 32 members, then we can start.
As for mod regulation, I'd like to keep this directly non-mod regulated, but mods can join.
The blues forum does a blues duel tournament which is always awesome and tons of fun. However, because of genre disparities, I don't think it'd be a good idea to have one huge "guitar tournament" It'd prolly be better to stick to tournaments in the different genre sections.
Count me in!!!!!

Just as a though, if you were lookin for more lead / solo based battles then perhaps provide one backing track? (Probably more useful near the semi-s and final)
Page 1 of 4