i've been taking guitar lessons from this dude, and all my friends who've taken lessons from him are awesome. my lessons are once a week for 30 minutes, and it's been about 40 lessons. i still suck!!
my teacher just makes me pick out a song i like, and teaches me the tabs. tabs are about all i understand, but he expects me to get the note names and scales and stuff.
i've asked him to teach me the basics of guitar, but we both just get frustrated because i don't understand one thing he's saying, so he keeps going back to teaching me tabs.
can someone PLEAASSEE HELP ME?!? i want to be able to write my own songs, and just UNDERSTAND IT!!!

first off, i don't get scales. do i need to memorize them? where can i find them?
and i don't get how you make a song out of a scale, something about the 1 3 and 5 notes or whatever? i'm totally lost on that too.

and i don't understand notes. if someone tells you to play a B flat, how do you know which B flat to play?! there's got to be a billion on the guitar!! do i need to memorize the note names too?

i don't get chords either. i've tried to write my own songs, and it always sounds horrible. my teacher tells me it's because it's all got to be in sync with a scale, but i have no idea what the heck that means or how the heck i learn that.

and all those fancy words! intervals, progressions, etc., just basic guitar language, where do i learn how to understand that too?

so pretty much everything but beginner tabs i don't understand. yah! i can only do tabs with like, power chords! nothing fancy! please help!! i've pretty much given up on my teacher. i know once i comprehend the basics, i'll be able to improve with my teacher, but i'm a very slow person, and my teacher just doesn't get how to teach me.

I WOULD SO MUCH APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE WERE TO JUST EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO ME!! or point me to a direct link of a beginner guitar lesson, teaching me all this, on the internet or something. or a website.

i'm so dissapointed, because all i really want is to be good, but i feel too stupid to understand anything. you'd really be making a difference in my life if you were to help me out with this, pals
its hopeless, give up
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
ahh wall of text!!

just buy a basic theory book, and look through. best way to start
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
lose the faggot teacher and get a new one... if a teacher wont take the time to teach you, why is he your teacher... or just sit in front of tabs all day and figure it out yourself like i did :p
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
ahh wall of text!!

just buy a basic theory book, and look through. best way to start

+1

thats the way i did it
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Lol, If I were you I'd ditch the guitar teacher, and teach yourself using the internet.

Also, don't worry so much about scales, note-names, and all that confusing stuff,
it's honestly not important at the stage you're at. You can learn it later when you
understand all the basics first.

Just try learning a bunch of songs you like by looking at tabs on Ultimate Guitar.
Watching alot of stuff on youtube helps too (even if its just covers that other people do)

And I can understand the whole "disappointed" thing. I felt the same way,
you'll get better, just practice playing songs alot, just have fun for now.
You don't have to worry TOO much about notes and scales until it becomes
necessary for jazz band at school or if practicing scales becomes necessary.
Ugh. Contribute or don't post. The guy is looking for help, not asinine, snippy comments.

It sounds like your teacher isn't very good. He should be paitent enough to explain things in a way you can understand. You probably shoulden't even be working on scales yet.

Intervals just means the distance between notes. Intervals are broken up into half steps, or a distance of one fret, or whole steps, or a distance of two frets. It's just that easy.

Music is a 7 letter alphabet. A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. The eighth note is an octave, or a distance of 8 notes. The octave is the same note as the first note in the scale. All scales use all 7 letters of the musical alphabet. The notes each have an interval between them. Remember this: W H W W H W, with the H's being half-steps and the W's being whole steps. Starting on an A, the next note would be B (W), then from B - C it's only a half step (one fret!), then to D (W), on to E (W), E - F is another half step, then F - G would be another whole step. That's how you find your notes, and the good news is that it never changes. The only half-steps are between B - C and E - F no matter what!

Major Scales have different intervals. With Major scales, it's always a pattern of W W h W W W h. The name of the scale refers to the first note of the scale. A G major scale is a major scale that starts on the note of G.

There's a lot to get into and unfortunately I don't have the time to run through everything. There are some great articles in the 'lessons' section of the main U-G site. I highly recommend "The Crusade" series of articles. It's great information presented in an easy to understand language.

Hope that helps, and IMHO get a new teacher!

-Edit- The notes are the same no matter where you play them on the fretboard. If someone says "play a B flat", a B flat will always be a B flat, no matter where you play them. It's up to you to decide which octave (pitch) you want to play it in and which sounds better.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 5, 2008,
ahh thank you so much!!! (most of you) especially garou1911 and faux-affliction!!! i feel a little more patient now
i don't want to ditch my teacher, the students i know that he's had are all really great..
i just take a while to process things i guess. maybe i'll find a new teacher at the same store.. i think i'm going to buy a music theory book at hastings or something. and find whatever i can on the internet. or im niko12. hahh.
well about how long does it take for someone to get good on the guitar? months? years?
Hehe, months to get tolerable at the trade. Years to really become good, but it has a lot to do with your amount of devotion and dedication. . . wikipedia Necrophagist then look at muhammed suicmez's bio. . . crazy good, even on the first album.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
it depends on you, you arent going to be talented over night. Also i think this problem is both your fault and your teachers. it seems he's providing you with the knowledge you just arent grasping it, it could be because you dont understand it, it could be because you arent dedicated to understanding it, it could be that you just want to be great like your friends without the effort. it could be that you're teacher is a douchebag. It could be anything. I'd say pay more attention and practice more, you can never practice to much. its the only way to get better. ask your teacher to teach you what you just asked us to teach you. you are paying him to provide a service to you, if hes not providing it then whats the point?
You're all very quick to get on the teachers back here. The TS clearly says that this teacher has all his friends playing awesome which leads me to think that the teacher probably isnt the issue here.

G'luck with the music theory. Keep at it and perhaps you'll start to pick it up.

Manage your expectations, it takes time and practice to become good, if it didn't then everyone would do it. Some people pick up the guitar and have an instant affinity with it and music in general and will be proficient in a matter of months with relativly little effort. Others are not so lucky and it takes many many years of hard work and many long hours practicing to get to the same level.

Forget about getting 'good' whatever that means. and enjoy getting better.
molliemercury, you say that all your friends or students that have had this teacher are "good". Are you just meaning they know alot of songs from tabs and can play them. Just being able to play somebody else's song is not necassirly good. From what you are asking that is not what you are going for.

Ditch that teacher, if all he does is show you how to play songs from tabs then he really doesn't know to much himself more than likely. Put sheat music or ask him to improvise and he probably can't do much. Being able to improv or come up with your own music is much more fullfilling in your guitar path than just being able to play other's songs.

Learn from here on UG, has so many columns and lessons you won't get through them all. Take it slow, ensure that you understand what you are doing compeletly and can do it correctly before moving on.

Good luck man.

*Sorry for all the typos, to lazy to check them, long day already......
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by HighPotency
Sounds like you have a bad/lazy teacher.

What he said. Get a new teacher. Is it that your friends can play the guitar, or are they becoming guitar players? There is a big difference.
The real question here is in what way are your friends "awesome". I have one friend that's basically a campfire guitarist, he mostly knows a bunch of songs. He admits that and I respect him greatly. He doesn't pretend or try to show he's "awesome". He lets other people tell him he's good. I also have another friend that knows most of guitar theory (if not all of it). He does a lot of improvising, and he's been working lately on writing a bunch of songs with the band he's in. He can't play that many songs, but he can play a really good version of Purple Haze and Little Wing. And he can learn a song in like around 15 minutes. He literally learned "Still Loving You" right in front of me on the spot (by Scorpions) and he improvised the solo (didn't really bother looking at the tabs for it), and he played it at same pace as the song. That's what I call "awesome".

If all your buddies can do is play a bunch of songs, that's not "awesome". i believe "awesome" is having the ability to use music theory to write your own songs.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
^^^ Exactly what he said.

I am not too hot on a teacher that will teach you songs you like and not give you the theory behind it. You can learn the songs on your own by tab and get extra help from Power Tab or Guitar Pro.

My teacher is amazing with both theory and ability, and the path he is taking me is to be able to do exactly what Mustang said. To be able to hear a song, know what key you are in, and be able to play along with your own improv is golden.

Can your friend play anything at their level or are they awesome at a few songs? That is what you have to ask yourself.
Quote by molliemercury
ahh thank you so much!!! (most of you) especially garou1911 and faux-affliction!!! i feel a little more patient now
i don't want to ditch my teacher, the students i know that he's had are all really great..
i just take a while to process things i guess. maybe i'll find a new teacher at the same store.. i think i'm going to buy a music theory book at hastings or something. and find whatever i can on the internet. or im niko12. hahh.
well about how long does it take for someone to get good on the guitar? months? years?

How long it takes depends on you some people are naturals at it and some it takes a longer theres really no set time on it

Hastings Nice I work at the one here
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Probably if this idiot would buy a book he wouldn't even read it. Because he'd get too lazy.

Protip: Start from the beginning of books. I know, crazy idea right?

Go buy mel bay grade 1 and read the whole thing from front to back to get an idea, then start from page one and don't you ****ing go forward until you understand everything.
Quote by molliemercury

It depends on the person. Don't think of it in terms like that, guitar is a lifelong journey, and it's one where you're constantly learning. As long as you play, you progress. Always be open to the idea that there's somthing more you can learn and you'll always have potential to grow. Play what you love, love what you play.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Just get a new teacher surely?
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Just get a new teacher surely?
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
For theory read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sesstreets
Probably if this idiot would buy a book he wouldn't even read it. Because he'd get too lazy.

Protip: Start from the beginning of books. I know, crazy idea right?

Go buy mel bay grade 1 and read the whole thing from front to back to get an idea, then start from page one and don't you ****ing go forward until you understand everything.

Let me rewrite that for you:

Quote by sesstreets
Read a theory book. Books can help you progress a lot in theory, because it's not something that you have to be shown.

Don't do it if you're lazy though Start from the beginning and don't try and progress until you've mastered the stuff you've already read.

I'd recommend Mel Bay Grade 1 as a decent starting point.

There, wasn't that nicer, n00b?

To contribute myself, I've seen no better lessons that Paul Gilbert's ones on YouTube. Do a couple of searches for him.
Sounds like you need a new teacher. But beyond that, a good intro to guitar book will answer most of your questions. I like Hal Leonard: http://tinyurl.com/2xd3y8.

That said, you don't really need to concern yourself with a lot of theory starting out. Most beginners start out learning chords and rhythms trying to get a feel for playing the guitar, after your strength and coordination improve you can dive into learning notation, the fretboard and the circle of fifths etc.