Hcmanu
Electro Kid.
1,656 IQ
Topic. My tab say drop d but it just dont sound like its in drop d.

Thanks
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
ToxicConfusion
Potentially Awesome
164 IQ
It works for me.

You're using distortion, right?
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough
konigstiger
342 IQ
its a quarter step down from D tuning, pantera would always tune a quarter step down or so from whatever tuning they were playing in...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
COBHC728
1a2a3a
712 IQ
It's D standard.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
slipmaggot93
is gonna be famous.
69 IQ
its D standard isnt it?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
Guitarism12
Im a goose
116 IQ
yer it sounds better in d standard but if you feeling lazy it works fine in drop d
SinnaSatan
Get Ya Pull ofa That Shît
595 IQ
As dime said himself, he always tuned "a c*nthair" lower than regular tuning to get a tuning no one else had. And yes, it's STANDARD D, not drop D.

Yeah, sure, you can play the thing in drop, but you're not gonna be able to pull of the fake echo-slide thing in the solo correctly unless you stick to standard tuning.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
The4thHorsemen
?
2,542 IQ
Umm... if you're good you can do a pretty decent impression of it.... I'm sick of people going on and on about playing something in D standard because that's how it was originally played. If you're playing on stage are you like "Hold on while everybody tunes down a step because we're too elitist to play it in Drop D"?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's just a lot more practical to drop the E string down instead of tuning everything down or going and switching guitars.
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned
338 IQ
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Umm... if you're good you can do a pretty decent impression of it.... I'm sick of people going on and on about playing something in D standard because that's how it was originally played. If you're playing on stage are you like "Hold on while everybody tunes down a step because we're too elitist to play it in Drop D"?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's just a lot more practical to drop the E string down instead of tuning everything down or going and switching guitars.

And if you have a floating tremolo system (like Dimebag did)?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
SinnaSatan
Get Ya Pull ofa That Shît
595 IQ
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Well, I'd still say it's better and sound more correct to play it in ANY standard tuning as opposed to play it in drop.
Either you're tuned to E, Eb, D, Db, C stanard for that matter. I'm just saying that it's no always better to drop it to get the tuning, IMO it's better to play it as it should be, even though if that means playing it at a different pitch.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
panterajoey420
10 IQ
Please spread the word. Dimebag did not tune to "Drop D" . Tune your top string to the open note in "Walk" and tune the rest of your strings down like you would if you were tuning standard. Then get yourself some new tab because what your playing is incorrect, sorry. Again, Dime did not play this in drop D. He never played in Drop anything as far as i'm concerned. Pantera was also known for custom tuning. When i say D and i'm talking about Pantera i really mean 1/4 or 1/2 step lower than "D" . That's why i just tune the top string by ear to the song. Its easier that way if you have a good ear. There's also some sour chords in this song i see a lot of people failing to play, WTF. Watch some live performances and some of youtubes community covering it correctly. More people have it wrong than right i'v noticed so don't feel bad. I think it might be easier to play in drop D so this might be the reason why. But listen, if you like playing in frigging drop D the wrong way but your having fun....then play it in drop D. Im just trying to be informative. Drop tuning is kinda lazy i agree. Its easier to play in , i know i used to drop to D all the time till i realized D standard sounds heavier because the rest of the strings are lower too. If you wanna sound like a big wet smelly Pu$$y then play in Drop D.

Sincerely Joey

R.I.P. Dimebag
Last edited by panterajoey420 at Jan 28, 2009,
panterajoey420
10 IQ
It matters. I say play it correctly or don't play it at all. Dime would want it accurate. There's some sour notes in their i'm sure u can achieve in drop D but it sounds different to me. I can notice when someone plays it in Drop D. You have to move the solo down 2 frets, its retarded. play it right. Were talking different tensions on the strings, difference in the feel of bends and everything else inbetween. Even the noises u can barely notice between chords, everything fudging counts to me. Aim for perfection and at least you will always end up with good quality.
Last edited by panterajoey420 at Jan 28, 2009,
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned
338 IQ
Quote by panterajoey420
Please spread the word. Dimebag did not tune to "Drop D" . Tune your top string to the open note in "Walk" and tune the rest of your strings down like you would if you were tuning standard. Then get yourself some new tab because what your playing is incorrect, sorry. Again, Dime did not play this in drop D. He never played in Drop anything as far as i'm concerned. Pantera was also known for custom tuning. When i say D and i'm talking about Pantera i really mean 1/4 or 1/2 step lower than "D" . That's why i just tune the top string by ear to the song. Its easier that way if you have a good ear. There's also some sour chords in this song i see a lot of people failing to play, WTF. Watch some live performances and some of youtubes community covering it correctly. More people have it wrong than right i'v noticed so don't feel bad. I think it might be easier to play in drop D so this might be the reason why. But listen, if you like playing in frigging drop D the wrong way but your having fun....then play it in drop D. Im just trying to be informative. Drop tuning is kinda lazy i agree. Its easier to play in , i know i used to drop to D all the time till i realized D standard sounds heavier because the rest of the strings are lower too. If you wanna sound like a big wet smelly Pu$$y then play in Drop D.

Sincerely Joey

R.I.P. Dimebag

A New Level is in Drop-D. The man himself said so. He also played in Drop-B in Damageplan as far as I know.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
xXxA7X~Fan07xXx
320 IQ
So I'm Broken is in standard tuning or what? Some tabs say its drop d and thats whats confusing me.
metalmetalhead
Panterica
517 IQ
Quote by panterajoey420
It matters. I say play it correctly or don't play it at all. Dime would want it accurate. There's some sour notes in their i'm sure u can achieve in drop D but it sounds different to me. I can notice when someone plays it in Drop D. You have to move the solo down 2 frets, its retarded. play it right. Were talking different tensions on the strings, difference in the feel of bends and everything else inbetween. Even the noises u can barely notice between chords, everything fudging counts to me. Aim for perfection and at least you will always end up with good quality.

Really i think Dime Bag was a real easy going guy i doubt he would really mind if you wanted to play his songs in Drop D. lol

I play it in drop D, I play im broken in drop D also. Sorry i know i should tune my whole guitar down or up for every song i play I guess i just dont have what it takes.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by panterajoey420
Dime would want it accurate.

You have a hotline to the afterlife?
BadAssMoFo420
10 IQ
I had the same problem with Cowboys From Hell. I play it in drop D, and it sounds wierd. But in standard tuning, it is normal
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,469 IQ
This thread has been necrobumoped three times

And really, if the song is originally in D standard it's better to play in E standard than D standard. The fingerings are the same, who cares about the pitch unless you are playing with a backing track. (Some riffs are meant to be played with certain fingerings because playing them with different fingerings is a lot harder.) I never change my tuning, I don't care if the pitch isn't exactly the same as the original. It shouldn't really matter whether you play in Eb, D, standard, whatever if you are playing alone (with a singer it makes a difference because of his vocal range, but I assume this is/was going to be a bedroom "performance"). Drop D is different to D standard and D standard is closer to E standard than drop D.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez BL70
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Bach Stradivarius
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 9, 2013,
deejayfox1994
10 IQ
The tuning to play this song in the style of pantera is 1/4 step down d standard. That's 100% correct don't listen to that guy saying 1/2 step down from d standard because that would obviously be c# standard lol

Oh and to the guy having trouble with cowboys from hell be in e standard tune 1/4 step down and it'll make a lotmore sense
The4thHorsemen
?
2,542 IQ
Quote by 18 year old me

I feel a bizarre mixture of lol and cringe right now.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,469 IQ
Necro of a necro of a necro of a necro...
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez BL70
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Bach Stradivarius
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,469 IQ
Wow, nice thread. Let's not close this and let's just see how many times it will get bumped in the future.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez BL70
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Bach Stradivarius
Yamaha P115