i got some money for my birthday and i was wondering what pedal you guys think i should buy with it. i dont want to spend over $110. should i get a chorus pedal, wah, or distortion. or something else if you want to suggest it. this would be my first pedal, ive always just used amp distortion and stuff. i play in a punk/slightly metal/whatever we want type of band. what do you think would come in most handy?
also, when i use a distortion pedal, do i set my amp to the clean channel or distortion?
so help me pick out a pedal. just say what type, and if you could suggest a specific pedal. thanks in advance =]
Quote by freddaahh
I just head-desked so hard I went through the floor and came out in Mongolia.
wait for one of those half off guitar center sale and buy a floor pod, its almost every pedal you could imagin... also you would use the clean chanel if your using an external distortion.
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Well, do you LIKE your amp's distortion?

If not, get the Distortion pedal

Do you NEED a chorus? If not, get a wah, wah's are fun
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

i would get a distortion pedal, either digitech or boss. and have your amp on the clean channel or else you'll 2 mixed distortions and crazy feedback
DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory Modeling Pedal, its about $100, and its got 7 different pedals in it. When you use a distortion pedal set amp to clean.
Gear:
Dean VX
Line 6 Spider 3 15 watt

"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin

"It is just that heavy metal musicians write in minor keys, and when you do that, you frighten people."
-Ronnie James Dio
Punk/Metal? Do you mean thrash?
Yeah im not a big fan of pedals, and/or Active Pickups. The sound for me is sorta , not bland but(trying to find words) hmm, they are all the same and carry almost no tone.
I've always found that distortion pedals (specifically ones with metal in the title) sound best when you set the amp to OFF.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Undrgrndmlita
DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory Modeling Pedal, its about $100, and its got 7 different pedals in it. When you use a distortion pedal set amp to clean.

Well...I havent heard it but a $100 multieffects pedal probably wont sound good
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

thanks for the help guys, i think ill go with the distortion. i really dont like my amps distortion, and im getting a new amp for christmas. i have one of those fender fm65r amps. not too great. what type of pedal should i get for punk/metal?
Quote by freddaahh
Well, what amp are you gonna get for christmas? You don't wanna get a pedal that won't sound good with the new one.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Err, maybe a metal muff? Most distortion pedals don't sound that great. Plus, you probably won't use if you get a new amp
A tip for later if you're new to pedals: Start off with a semi-cheap multi-fx pedal. Not for the distortion part of it, but for all the other fx. It's a good way to find out what kind of effects you like and would like to spend money on later. They usually have a lot of different fx, and though not all/none of them are of high quality, it will give you a pointer as to what they do and how you can use them in your music.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by gwitersnamps
Well, what amp are you gonna get for christmas? You don't wanna get a pedal that won't sound good with the new one.

im probably gona get around a $900 amp, not sure what type though yet.
maybe a tube?
Quote by freddaahh
Save your money and add it to your amp fund. No reason to buy a distortion pedal for a crappy amp if you're getting a nice amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by (Metal)lica
Well...I havent heard it but a $100 multieffects pedal probably wont sound good

It's not really a traditional multi-effect though. It's like a wah modeller.

I haven't tried it though.
Saint Louis Blues