Page 1 of 2
Well I've been debating a new amp for 2 years straight now. I'm tiered of playing a crate. I have a schecter custom, I play alot of tool style things. My gigging band has somewhat of a toolish sound, old and new tool, and some lamb of god style songs.

I've been looking at the.

Splawn Nitro

Any ENGL amp from what I heard they are amazing

Mako Mak 2

Mesa Roadking

Reason SM-50

and I'm completley open to any suggestion.

I don't want something too warm and too marshally, but I don't want a Diezel style amp that's really dry and sterile. Something in the middle ya know? I'm worried the Engls are going to be too dry. The Mesa might be muddy, the splawn might be too marshally. IDK help please.
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
The Engl and the Splawn imo blow away most of the mesas. but the spalwn is very marshly

I say the roadking lol
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Oct 5, 2008,
Debating on an amp for 2 years? Geez, just close your eyes and flip a coin if it takes that long. Otherwise just get a splawn, they kn0ckz ur s0ckz 0ffz
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I've never liked the Mesas all that much, and apparently the Mesa's don't do Tool well. Will the splawn do tool you think?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Yes, I think Splawns and ENGL's do them well.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I just feel like the splawn might be too warm for tool. But I heard a version of Holy Diver with the Nitro and I loved it.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

could always grab an eq pedal for it doesnt adam jones use diezel VH4s with marshall super bass heads or something
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Get a Matamp.

Or a Mesa Stiletto.

Or a Roccaforte HG100.
Yes he does, Matamp is just like orange, doesn't fit in tool style. I hate the stilleto, sorry. I've never heard of the roccaforte.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

you could always just go 5150 I think they use 5150s actually

they can be had for like 800 bucks to
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
From what I know, Adam is using a Peavey right now, and a friend of mine believes it to be a XXX, as his XXX seems to nail the tool sound (very chunky but bright and thick overdrive). It's worth a look.

Splawns aren't really that warm. They are mighty agressive, dynamic, smooth and articulative. No mercy to crappy playing
Quote by korn klown 14
Well I've been debating a new amp for 2 years straight now. I'm tiered of playing a crate. I have a schecter custom, I play alot of tool style things. My gigging band has somewhat of a toolish sound, old and new tool, and some lamb of god style songs.

I've been looking at the.

Splawn Nitro

Any ENGL amp from what I heard they are amazing

Mako Mak 2

Mesa Roadking

Reason SM-50

and I'm completley open to any suggestion.

I don't want something too warm and too marshally, but I don't want a Diezel style amp that's really dry and sterile. Something in the middle ya know? I'm worried the Engls are going to be too dry. The Mesa might be muddy, the splawn might be too marshally. IDK help please.

Then your not going to like the Splawn.... Your best bet is the ENGL its not dry and pretty far from a marshall tone wise. Also another amp you might want to look into is a used Bogner Uberschall. They also fall into the category your looking for. Even a Peavey XXX will get you close and for relatively cheap. Theres alot of options your best bet is to do some leg work and test out a few.
a mark IV would cover the lamb of god easy and i her the are pretty versitile other wise you could always save up and get two amps and run them in stereo
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

I've been saving for so long I need at get at least one amp now. I think the Mark IV might be too tight, IDK though. He's not using a xxx or a 5150, hes using a modded like a mofo classic 50, because he reffers to it as a modded mississipi marshall. IDK about the ENGLS. They are a good and bad for me. I will run stereo later when I have the money. I don't think the 5150 is my amp, too bland. I think the xxx isn't really what I'm looking for. IDK I'm so picky, what do you guys think about the Mako Mak 2, and does anyone have some splawn tool clips, I've asked the pro fans boards on splawn for a month now and have gotten nothing
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
I've been saving for so long I need at get at least one amp now. I think the Mark IV might be too tight, IDK though. He's not using a xxx or a 5150, hes using a modded like a mofo classic 50, because he reffers to it as a modded mississipi marshall. IDK about the ENGLS. They are a good and bad for me. I will run stereo later when I have the money. I don't think the 5150 is my amp, too bland. I think the xxx isn't really what I'm looking for. IDK I'm so picky, what do you guys think about the Mako Mak 2, and does anyone have some splawn tool clips, I've asked the pro fans boards on splawn for a month now and have gotten nothing

I'm a bit confused here, your stating you dont want a marshall tone but you want a marshall tone?
I was just asking for the clips because highwaytohell said it's not that warm more agressive than I think
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I've actually been through both of those, and I still feel that they aren't as real as playing in person. IDK I guess I just can't find that amp thats right for me.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Ok.

To end the debate on what adam jones uses:

1. Diezel VH4 blueface, now discontinued.
2. Diezel VH4 silverface, current vh4 model.
3. Marshall 70 something superbass non master volume with both channels wired together.

He runs either the blue or the silver, never together, and the super bass is ALWAYS on.
Get the roadking and the matching cab, most versatile amp ever
You'd be suprised, he actually has ran both Diezel's toghether. The marshall is hardly any of his tone, it fills some of the upper mids the Diezel doesn't have. It's mainly in his rig to help clean up his sound with his volume pedal. It's an 83 superbass. He has a 79 too. But I think he uses the 83 most often and puts it in a freezer to preserve it. Last I heard Adam is extremely debating whether or not to switch to Bogner amps. I guess Jambi and that ecstacy couldn't keep adam away.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Adam jones of tool is an endorser of the Diezel VH4. Most of the tones on tool ablums come from the VH4. Lamb of God is almost exclusivly the Mesa Mark IV. Both of these amps have a unique tone, both are exceptional amps that will most likely scare the faint of heart at full volume.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
I don't think Adam started using Diezel VH4's until the Lateralus album. Opiate, Undertow, Aenima are all his Marshall Super Bass blended with a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

As for the thread starter, I think you will be more than happy with an ENGL Fireball or Powerball.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Adam used the Marshall superbass on Opiate and undertow. He aquired a Diezel Vh4, the first one in the US a blueface. He got reccomended to Diezel by Billy Howerdle his guitar tech at the time, ( APC/ ashes divide) He got the VH4 between Undertow and AEnima, the VH4 does appear on AEnima, Salival, is mainly used for Lateralus. Almost all of 10,000 days was done with a Rivera T-kre. Never considered Soldano, would they do that tone?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by (Metal)lica
Debating on an amp for 2 years? Geez, just close your eyes and flip a coin if it takes that long. Otherwise just get a splawn, they kn0ckz ur s0ckz 0ffz

yeah ive been researching amps for about a year and a half myself and am still deciding what i want. So i dont think thats too bad. But i would agree with the splawn.
This shit is so hard, being in a gigging band though, a crate just won't cut it anymore.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Bogner Uberschall sounds like it may be up your alley.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by STABxYOU
Have you considered a Soldano?

That's what I came in to suggest. No they're not going to get the same tone that you're describing, they're pretty Marshally, Marshally in the sense of the EVH brown sound. But there's no way you could deny their tonal awesomness after hearing one. I mean, I'm with you, I'm a fan of the american high gain sound and I try to stay away from the british sound. But the Soldano SLO100 is my dream amp.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I'm with ya sonic, I'm not an EVH fan =[ What about the Genz Benz, el diablo? Mesa rectoverb? Bogner is too much =[, jcm 800?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
Adam used the Marshall superbass on Opiate and undertow. He aquired a Diezel Vh4, the first one in the US a blueface. He got reccomended to Diezel by Billy Howerdle his guitar tech at the time, ( APC/ ashes divide) He got the VH4 between Undertow and AEnima, the VH4 does appear on AEnima, Salival, is mainly used for Lateralus. Almost all of 10,000 days was done with a Rivera T-kre.
Good to know, thanks.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Not a problem man, most people don't believe me. But I know shit tons about Adam. Well It looks like I'm going with the Splawn, the Mako I was looking at just got bought.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

i've played the roadking and it's one hell of an amp. very versatile and highly recommended
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Well I've been looking into the Quickrod, idk I Have a really good feeling about it. The nitro doesn't sound all that great to my ears anymore, but I'm worried that the quickrod will be too old school marshall for the sound, but I'm liking that high mid sizzle, but I also love that low mid grind, what do you guys think?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Krank Revolution?

Hughes and Kettner switchblade?

Soldano SLO?

What can you guys recommend? That will do AEnima/ Lateralus/ 10kdays tones?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6uvP2W1m9o

Just wanted you guys to see the tones I'm getting with the new amp.

I think with the preamp off it sounded very similar to jambi.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Page 1 of 2