I'm miccing the rig in my sig. I'm using a computer with a 3.4 GhZ intel pentium process, windows XP, 2 GB ram, and more than enough hard disk space. I was planning on this setup as I am a total noob to this stuff:

Cakewalk Project 5 Version 2 Program
M-Audio 46 MIDI Keyboard/Controller
Shure SM57 Mic
Edirol FA-66 FireWire Interface
M-Audio Delta 1010 Sound Card/Interface
Sennheiser HD280 Closed-Back Monitoring Headphones

Total Price: $1000 (right on budget)

So anyways, would using this studio setup complementing the rig in my sig work well and sound good?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for helping a nub
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
looks good to me. the only thing I'm unsure about is cakewalk, but that's only because I've never used it. look up some reviews.
Quote by CarouselAdam
looks good to me. the only thing I'm unsure about is cakewalk, but that's only because I've never used it. look up some reviews.

yea im actually doing that right now. From what it seems so far, it seems like a really user friendly program with a lot of cool features (dynamic arpeggio, MIDI drum sampling and machine, efficient looping and sequencing), esp for PC users
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Oct 5, 2008,
Why both the FA66 and 1010 interfaces?
I would just go with one, the FA66 is nice but for a few bucks more you can get the PreSonus FireBox.

Sonar is great and all, (I've been using Producer 6 and 7 for about 1 1/2 years now myself) but if you want to get into electric music with a lot of synth setups, FL seems to be a more popular choice for that field.

http://www.fruityloops.com/documents/what.html
The sound card in my computer sucks. So let me get this straight, if use the FA66, I don't have to change my sound card to something that doesn't..suck? Cuz I thought about it and the firewire hooks up to the PCI bus, not the sound card..? Also, this is all for recording traditional guitar/bass/drum tracks. Synths are not my priority, tho I'd like to use them to create a more symphonic/epic feel. I am a guitarist first and foremost, so I'm trying to accommodate that.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by kayman121
The sound card in my computer sucks. So let me get this straight, if use the FA66, I don't have to change my sound card to something that doesn't..suck? Cuz I thought about it and the firewire hooks up to the PCI bus, not the sound card..? Also, this is all for recording traditional guitar/bass/drum tracks. Synths are not my priority, tho I'd like to use them to create a more symphonic/epic feel. I am a guitarist first and foremost, so I'm trying to accommodate that.

If you use one of those interfaces it will bypass your stock card for recording and playback, you dont need both.

Firewire or USB will link the interface and shut down the stock sound card for you.

If youa re looking to work with audio more, I suggest another version of sonar such as Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio 6 but in reality, both will work..it just comes down to which you like working with.
Download the 30 day trials for both and see which you like the layout and features of before buying.
Thanks a lot for the help. Any advice on good firewire PCI buses?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
If you have a firewire port on your computer already you should be fine but if you want a TI based Firewire card this unit is the one to go for IMO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150094&Tpk=Texas%20Instruments%20Firewire%20card

Some say the Texas Instruments chipset cards are the most stable and complaint. I just use the one on my desktop motherboard however it is based around a TI chip so I don't know how others such as this one work.
I have a Delta 1010. I love it. The only problem is that it doesn't come with preamps.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks a lot everyone. ive learned a lot. hopefully i can muster up this studio by xmas time so i can start pumpin out my songs
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups