Today I was listening to The Black Keys and The Strokes, and I noticed something similar in The Black Keys' "I Got Mine" and The Strokes' "Reptilia". At the beginning of "I Got Mine", and in the beginning and middle of "Reptilia", there is this weird buildup of noise, broken by guitar playing. I was just wondering what it is and how it's accomplished, because I rather like it and would like to do it myself. Any replies are much appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPGm4Fbo0Q&feature=related
^"I Got Mine" by The Black Keys. Weird noise is from 0:12 to 0:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSYf-sgBIw
^ "Reptilia" by The Strokes. Weird noise is from 0:14 to 0:19 and 2:29 to 2:33.
Feedback. Turn your guitar down, start some feedback, turn up the volume knob, and then start playing.
well, you posted 'just got to me' but if you meant that, its called feedback. turn your amp way up with some distortion, play notes and put the guitar real close to the speaker.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
1) feedback from the amp/guitar
2) Slowly turn up the volume knob on your guitar for the first sound, for the second just pick with increased attack each time.
Quote by aetherspear
well, you posted 'just got to me' but if you meant that, its called feedback. turn your amp way up with some distortion, play notes and put the guitar real close to the speaker.

you dont have to play any notes it will just naturally create feedback when you turn the volume knob all the way up from off

thats why youll see guitarists go right to the volume knob when they arent playing because they dont want it to feedback
thats called "feedback" in reptilia its not so much feedback as it is just the volume being turned up while not muting any strings. hope this helped
Thanks! Sorry, I meant "Just Got To Be", not "I Got Mine". Sorry! One more question. In "Reptilia", the guitarist seems to shake his guitar while the feedback noise builds up, and in "Just Got To Be", the guitarist seems to shake his amp to buildup the noise. Could this have something to do with it? Qotsa 1998, what do you mean by "start some feedback"?
Last edited by garagerocker97 at Oct 5, 2008,
He meant what the others described how to do it.

As for the shaking: that can be done, by, well, shaking the guitar while inducing feedback. It moves the guitar a bit around in that zone where it's creating feedback, and basically kind of sustains it--like vibrato, in a sense.

I'm not sure if that's the best technical description--maybe someone else can do a better job explaining.

+1 for listening to The Black Keys and The Strokes too.
Well, if you understand what's happening, it becomes pretty clear.

The sound from your amp is getting picked up through the strings, back through the pickups and thus, back out to your amp.

So you have a loop, where this causes more sound out of the amp to feed back into your guitar, and so on. More sound in the guitar means more sound out of the amp, and it just builds up.

Really, anything that causes sound from your amp can do it, as long as it's loud enough to get picked up by the guitar. Including playing a note, shaking your guitar, etc. It should be obvious at this point that holding the guitar right in front of the amp makes it happen more easily.

it's certainly used to great effect by Trey from Phish to get endless sustain. That man has some excellent muting technique to keep that under control, let me tell you...

Hope that makes it clear.

Grep.