I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for Me to be the manager for the band that im in.
Its just that i like knowing whats going on, and being in control of things, and if i was the manager, then we would all know because i wouldnt forget about things ya know?
i was jw what yoy guys thought, and if anybody has ever done this
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
im doing it succesfully so far. two weeks since my band formed nnd we've already got a gig
It might be worth describing it to people as the band managing itself, though. Otherwise you may look like a control freak.
im not really a control freak, but i like knowing i guess.
id feel more comfortable withmyself being in charge as oppose o someone else
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I manage bands professionally, but I wouldn't want to do it long-term for my own band. When you're starting out, it's good to have one designated person to handle the business, but later when you really need a manager I think it's better to have someone outside the band because they can offer a different perspective.
^thanks,
would it be better for us to get a manager or a agent?
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
^thanks again, its just i read somewhere that its financially safer to go with a agent, cuz they get paid off what you get paid.
or sumthing liek that, idk
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
An agent's job is to book shows. They get paid a percentage (usually around 10%) of whatever you make from the shows they book.

A manager's job is to offer career advice and manage every aspect of the band's business. They get paid a percentage (usually 15-25%) of everything you make, less certain things like recording advances, tour support, etc.
i love you, no homo^
you help alot, thanks bro.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
It's purely a personal choice that has many pros and cons.
Personaly, I tend to manage all our affairs, but it's a hard slog. You can't just delegate some of the responsibility onto someone else because it's far too easy for you to get your wires crossed, which leads to double bookings and arguments and all kinds of fun.
I really wish we had a manager that would handle all the business stuff that needs handling, but that would cost us a large percentage of our money, and we don't make anywhere near enough (in my opinion) to justify hiring someone else to do the job when I can do it myself.

I would probably say that the best way to look at it is that if you don't mind doing it, then do it. It's always nice to be in control and know exactly where all your money is going rather than having to trust someone else and it will save the band some money, but make sure you're not out of pocket, stuff like phone calls (and there will be a LOT of phone calls, if it's just a few, don't bother charging the band, but 'lots' of phone calls mount up and will make a big difference to your quarterly bill) and printing costs ect cost money, so before you spend anything, make sure that everyone agrees to split the costs between them.

But if it's a job that really gets on your tits, proper cheeses you off, then get someone else to do it, because it's gonna spoil the whole 'band' experience for you and rule number one says 'If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing!'

Word of advice though, if you do act as manager, make sure you have regular sit down meetings with the band where you all discuss band business and decide what your next moves will be, make sure that all band decisions are written down, you then go away and do your best to accomplish those business goals and report back to the band next meeting.
Make sure everyone has a diary which is updated every meeting too.
As manager, you should hold the 'control' diary as all business, including gigs, should come through you. That means that if another member of your band is approached by someone to play a gig, then your band member should give them your contact details so that you can handle the booking, which would be a pretty good reason to have some business cards made up with the band's name and your contact details on them.
All dates when someone in the band is busy, for instance they will be away on holiday or they are going to their parent's golden wedding anniversary or they are booked to have an operation or whatever should go in the control diary. As soon as anyone arranges a date where they will be busy, they should contact you, and you in turn will transfere this information to the rest of the band who will then update their diary, either by phone or at the next meeting.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by teddytheturtle
You would eventually need both a manager and an agent, but you should get a manager first. Very few agents will work with a band that doesn't have a label behind them.

...nor will very few managers. It's not so much the label backing that managers/agents care about as much as established professionalism and ability to make money. If the band can't make money, or isn't willing to do so, then they're not worth taking on.

CT

PS - you guys booked Summerside, eh? Very good band.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

All dates when someone in the band is busy, for instance they will be away on holiday or they are going to their parent's golden wedding anniversary or they are booked to have an operation or whatever should go in the control diary. As soon as anyone arranges a date where they will be busy, they should contact you, and you in turn will transfere this information to the rest of the band who will then update their diary, either by phone or at the next meeting.

What we do is have a spot on our website, where when you log in, has a separate menu for band members only. On that menu is a calendar. Each member can just log in and put stuff like that on the calendar for all of us to be able to refer to. (especially me, who also manages the band....)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
What we do is have a spot on our website, where when you log in, has a separate menu for band members only. On that menu is a calendar. Each member can just log in and put stuff like that on the calendar for all of us to be able to refer to. (especially me, who also manages the band....)

CT

Works just as well, as long as you can rely on everyone to use it and that everyone in the band has internet access. (our drummer doesn't for instance.... which isn't neccesarily a bad thing. )
I've found with my particular bunch of reprobates that I have to actualy ask them and remind them and generaly bug them to update me at meetings, otherwise I just won't get to hear about half of what they have planned.
Our guitarist travelled to Malta last week to get married, I knew he was planning on getting married but I didn't find out exactly what his plans were until about a week before he went

But generaly speaking, each band will usualy find it's own best way of dealing with it.
Quote by doctorcheeze200
I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for Me to be the manager for the band that im in.
Its just that i like knowing whats going on, and being in control of things, and if i was the manager, then we would all know because i wouldnt forget about things ya know?
i was jw what yoy guys thought, and if anybody has ever done this

Probs would be, but first, some info.

How old are you and your bandmates?
How long have you guys been playing together?
how long have you been gigging?

I think early on its fine, but after a while, you gotta start concentrating you your show imo.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Our guitarist travelled to Malta last week to get married.

My condolences
we are all 16-19, juniors and seniors.
weve only played a few shows
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by doctorcheeze200
we are all 16-19, juniors and seniors.
weve only played a few shows

well then yes, i think that's fine for now. but when you begin to get a fanbase, you should definetly look into getting a manager and take some work off your plate.
Quote by Retro Rocker
My condolences

Heh heh, he had his wedding party last night after getting back from Malta, and remember, any excuse for a party is a legitimate excuse for a party.

But I've got one hell of a hangover this morning, Newcastle Brown and brandy just doesn't mix somehow.
My head feels like this....
....but I'm gonna have a fry up and a pint of coffee in a short while, which always sorts me out.
Hey, it's all rock 'n' roll innit.

EDIT.

Ahh, that's better. I'm feeling full, greasy and much, much better now.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 12, 2008,
alright cool, thanks
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ