I've been playing guitar for about a year, and can play some difficult songs and can usually learn what i want, tab wise. My problem is i have a horrible problem that began before i knew it was a problem, i hold power chords with my index and pinky, rather than my ring finger. and doing this kinda screwed me up because i rely on my pinky alot of the time when i shouldnt. so i was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of some lessons to increase dexterity. having this habit has really screwed up my fingering position, and its quite annoying.
How is this a problem? Just practice it out if it is, slow it down and practice. Whiner. Not being a jerk to you. Just saying what would you expect for a forum to do for you on this subject? You know the problem and I don't believe there are any Doctor proven exercises to alleviate it. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Oct 6, 2008,
I play power chords with my index and then my pinky barring the 5th and octave note. It works great for me. Why exactly is this a problem?
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
its a problem because i feels wierd to use my ring finger two frets down from my index finger...

I do practice and i play stuff excruciatingly slow just to try to not do this and its frustrating when i know i can play it faster with my pinky. i know theres lessons and excersizes to improve dexterity, if you dont know of any theres no need to reply.
to opeth:
its affecting other areas of play too, like...
E|-2-4------
i used to use my pinky for the 4 but now im trying to get rid of the habit because im supposed to use my ring finger, but it feels wierd and i have to like contort my hand to use my ring finger.
I'm hardly an expert but when it comes to playing there's no absolute right and wrong, just works and doesn't work.

So if using your pinky works forget about what your supposed to do and do what works?

Or maybe I'm wrong
that was my mentality too but it if its something like
E|--2-4-5
it would really be beneficial to be able to use my index for the 2 ring for the 4 and pinky for the 5.
Well all I can really say is just keep practicing and try to find some exercises to do off this site. It sounds like you just haven't developed a whole lot of strength and stretch to your fingers. It's something that will build over time as you play more.

I can see the problem now though, you should be able to play "E|--2--4----" with your index and ring fingers, or even index and middle when you're more experienced.

The best exercise I can think to do would be:

e|------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
B|------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------
G|------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------
D|------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------
A|-------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------
E|--1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------

using the appropriate fingers. Just take it really slow, like so slowly that you're actually annoyed at yourself for how slow you're going. Do that that up and back down for a good ten or fifteen minutes a day and after a couple weeks you should have noticeable improvement.

This is another exercise that be beneficial to you: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php
It might be a little to hard to do now, but once you build up some basic strength this will really help.

Quote by Jaksar
I'm hardly an expert but when it comes to playing there's no absolute right and wrong, just works and doesn't work.

So if using your pinky works forget about what your supposed to do and do what works?

Or maybe I'm wrong

Most of the time I would agree with the, "Do what's comfortable," or, "Do what works for you," solutions but not so much in this case. Any guitarist should be able to do "E|--2--4----" using index and third.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
well i can do it fairly easily but in sequence with other things its annoying, and my inability to do this is affecting barre chords two because its hard to get my finger where its supposed to be quickly on like an a7

thanks opeth
Quote by TJelias2007
its a problem because i feels wierd to use my ring finger two frets down from my index finger...

I do practice and i play stuff excruciatingly slow just to try to not do this and its frustrating when i know i can play it faster with my pinky. i know theres lessons and excersizes to improve dexterity, if you dont know of any theres no need to reply.

Exercises and lessons. The point in my post is practice is the solution either way, nothing we can do for you that you can't do for yourself. Other than that you have a UG search engine as well as google. Self-reliance is a key factor in learning. If you can play it faster one way then play it that way. Classical enthusiasts would knock Hendrix for thumbing notes, but he did fine, correct?
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris